Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • thinking of buying ipad.....why??????? >
  • thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

• thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 AM

My husband got me an iPad for our anniversary last year. I never would have spent the money! But, I have hardly been without it for a moment. I have an app for a grocery list ( i havent written a grocery list in 18 months- its all on the iPad )- you can add different stores, so I take photos of patterns and fabric I want and add them to the list. I have the pandora and other music apps to listen to while I'm sewing. I have the PBS app where I can watch shows. I can text as well as email, send photos, Skype, watch you tube videos, apps for games ( which I admittedly rarely use ), kindle for reading, there is a GPS map app, google earth, QUILT SHOP apps,....the list goes on. I also have a bracket that holds it up under the cupboard in the kitchen , so it stays out of the way when I use the recipes apps. Plus it's so portable and gets 3G, so I can use it anywhere! The only time I've used my computer since I got the iPad is to use the embroidery software on the computer. Everything else I can do - and DO - on the iPad. Don't for a second think you won't use it - you will and you'll LOVE IT!

Last edited by quiltmom04; 11-10-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I want one but still need to get my house upgraded so I can use it all over...just a trip to comcast and I will be set!
    Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Gee, I might need on too!
    Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 PM

we want to get one too! which model or does everyone have? how many gb's should we get? and where is the best place to buy one?
    Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM

All I can say is I love my iPad . My sewing room as all my sewing supplies , a TV if I need a break and my iPad . You will love, love love it.
    Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
    we want to get one too! which model or does everyone have? how many gb's should we get? and where is the best place to buy one?
    First, you need to decide if you want one with just wifi or a wifi/cellular model. The difference is if you're someplace where there is no wifi, you can still get internet access over the cell network. The bad part about this is you have to pay a monthly cell charge for it.

Then you need to decide how many gbs you might use. I've owned a 16 gb iPod for a few years and have maxed out the space. I'm able to swap out some stuff for others via iTunes, but it's kind of annoying and can take a while. So when DH won his iPad, I insisted he get the biggest one available.

As far as the best place to buy one, they're all price controlled, so even if you bought it at Costco or Walmart, it would only be $4 or $5 cheaper than the Apple store or Best Buy, and every coupon I've seen excludes them, so price probably won't be your main focus. The Apple stores are ALWAYS crowded, so I've never gone in, but my friend in Michigan said she took an older Apple product in for help (it wasn't an iPad) and they fixed it for her, right there, at no charge. So she loves the Apple Store, lol.
    Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Now this opens another can of worms.........who makes and where are these....is that their official name........I can imagine the price on one of these is even higher than the iPad........another option...oh dear, this gets (what was it that Alice in Wonderland said?).............
    They're made by just about everybody - Dell, Toshiba, Sony... I'm sure you've seen commercials for them and probably just haven't realized that's what it was. If you google "convertible ultrabook" you will find many choices. Prices are more in line with a laptop, but considering that's basically what they are, that's not outrageous. And, as I said, there is much more functionality with them than with tablets like the iPad.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/10...s-8-computers/
    Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
    Power Poster

I love my Ipad...I take it everywhere with me....
    Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM

My daughter gave me one last Christmas and I just love it. I use it in my sewing room and ever where else. I take it with me just about everywhere I go.
    Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I'm holding out for a convertible ultrabook. The iPad is okay, but I need waaaay more functionality than what it provides. It drives me crazy that I can't multi-task and have more than one application open at a time. I also want to be able to run programs like EQ and PhotoShop, which you can't do on an iPad. A convertible ultrabook is a combination of an iPad and a laptop.
    In settings there is a button so you can turn on multi-tasking, and if you double click the home button, you will see all the programs that you have been using across the bottom. They aren't really closed when you close them, you need to close them here. I multi-task between several apps from here the time. I love my iPad. I have an iPod, but mostly the grandkids play with that now. I have several quilting apps, lots of patterns saved in iBooks and hardly ever use my computer anymore. I can see this one much better, and it fits really well in the cross body purse (9x11x1.5) that I have.