Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Thinking of getting a embroidery machine >
  • Thinking of getting a embroidery machine

• Thinking of getting a embroidery machine

Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Absolutely breathtaking!!! Sure would like to be able to do something like that. I'm learning a lot. Hope I can afford what I would like. Thanks everyone for all the input.
    Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM

I just bought a Janome 11000 at just above cost. I know they are coming out with a 12000, but I can do just fine with this one and save a bunch. It has a 4 hoops, one rather large one. Ebay does have some great buys.
    Tommie
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Remember what ever machine you get you will want some type of software in your computer so you can digitize or get designs off the internet, unless you only want to buy the cards.

Good luck on your search.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM

I absolutely love machine embroidery and encourage you to buy a machine. As for what machine??? You will hear many opinions. In all honesty, there are many quality embroidery/sewing machines available.

Do you have any sewing machine dealers in your community? I really think that is the place to go. A good dealer is invaluable. They will warranty/service your machine, offer you free user classes and just support you in all that you do.

They also have trade-ins available. If I had to do it over again I would really look at the trade-ins. I think you can get more machine for your money this way. Some sewers trade their machines in quite frequently because a new model is available and they think they need the latest and greatest. This means, there are many gently used machines available, and you can purchase them at a greatly reduced cost. The dealer will warranty the machine, and again, offer you free classes.

My advice to you is too check out the different brands and spend the time test driving them. Get a feel for the support you could expect from the dealer. Go to the websites of the different manufacturers to see their product lines. If you can, request brochures so you can compare features at your leisure at home before you go for test drives. You will be more informed that way, because it can be a bit overwhelming. Good luck in your search. Here are some websites.

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com

http://www.babylock.com/

http://www.babylock.com/

http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/

http://www.berninausa.com/

http://www.pfaffusa.com/
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boopers
    Check out amazon. I got a notice this morning about a sale on Brother emb. machines. If I needed one, I think I would be getting one of these. Really good deal.
    Thanks a lot...I read your post, checked it out, and my new embroidery machine will be here next week.... :lol:
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM

which one did you get? my sister and i got the brother pe770 with the 5x7 hoop. it is so much fun. i have been playing with it so much. found a pattern for a marine emblem and made my boss a few for a going away gift and have made some for other people. i am starting to work on a double wedding ring for my mother (cheryl phillips way) and got some quilting patterns that i'm going to put in the center. the practice one i did turned out great! and there are so many quilting designs available if you want to get really fancy. your going to enjoy it so much
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM

I have the new Brother 780D and I love it..It does 5 x 7 and you download patterns on USB sticks then in machine...Have not had a minutes trouble with it...
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
    which one did you get? my sister and i got the brother pe770 with the 5x7 hoop. it is so much fun. i have been playing with it so much. found a pattern for a marine emblem and made my boss a few for a going away gift and have made some for other people. i am starting to work on a double wedding ring for my mother (cheryl phillips way) and got some quilting patterns that i'm going to put in the center. the practice one i did turned out great! and there are so many quilting designs available if you want to get really fancy. your going to enjoy it so much
    Brother LB6800 PRW...should be all kinds of good fun
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I'm sure you can buy embroidery only machines for less than $4,000!! I plan to get one, a Brother, and its about Aus$1,200. Has the larger hoop, and does embroidery only. Has a USB and takes cards.

You could also try looking for a second hand machine, some are very good, the owner might only want to upgrade. Try it out first though!!