Thinning hair

Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 PM

I noticed my hair starting to thin out when I was 20. I went to the dermatoligist and they basically laughed at me, because it still looked so thick. But I knew that it was. I am now 45 and my hair is so thin on top. My dad is bald and my aunt on my moms side has really thin hair. I guess it's just in my genes. Hopefully for you it's something they can fix.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Dreaming, it is a bummer. My hair is still thin and I've been on thyroid pills for 8 months now. I keep telling myself "I think I see new growth" but my husband says no. Maybe it's some other medication. Anyway, let's be happy to be here, forget this hair stuff and go quilt! :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM

Try Hubner's Silica.......it works wonders for hair and nails.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am in the beginning stages of menopause and have discovered that my hair is starting to thin a little. My hair is everywhere, when I cook I pull it back and shake my shirt so it does not wind up in the food. :). I don't have a thyroid problem so I know that's not it. Also stress can cause hair loss.
Ditto.

I think is the depletion of hormones. It is not only the hair on your head that thins. Lets just say you will know longer need a bikini wax. lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Is it over the counter or do you need a prescription for it?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by bbeyes
Is it over the counter or do you need a prescription for it?

Bbeyes, if you're speaking to me about the Hubner's Silica it is a German product that has been around forever and it truly works. I order it online as I can't find it in the health stores anymore. Google it so you can learn about it. I order mine from http://westeggnaturalproducts. They are just great people. Normally I just call them with my order but you can do it online. It is also less expensive online. I am postmenopausal (sp) on thyroid medication and this has been a life saver for my hair and nails. I don't think you'd be disappointed but be prepared it is a bit pricey per month but again for me it is well worth it. I think it's also helped me with my arthritis also although it isn't used for that. Hope this helps you!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Thank you for the information, I will look them up. You didn't mention if it was taken by mouth or put on your scalp.
Betty
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM

This has been a great thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
My hair has thinned to the point of big bald spots on my head. Of course, at first this was a big distress to me. It is at the point that in the winter I need to wear hats to keep my body warm and in the summer I need to wear the hats so I won't sunburn the top of my scalp. (I'm 58.)

I have come to the point in my thinking that it isn't a big deal. I do what I can and will let God handle the rest. When I get around to it, I'll buy a couple of wigs just for fun. I am also having a blast finding and buying different hats and caps.

I'm not embarrassed about my loss of hair and I don't worry about what other people will think the same way as I wouldn't think that much about if I saw anyone else who was in the same condition as I am in. There are a lot worst things that could happen to me.

My nephew lost both of his legs over in Iraq. He has a great attitude about his prosthesis. I never see him feel sorry for himself. The loss of his legs doesn't stop him for being involved with life. I believe that if he can handle something big like that, I can handle hair loss.

I believe that my hair loss is a mixture of genetics, and medical issues like hormones. (Yes, I've gone to the doctor about this problem along with other medical problems and my thyroid is doing okay..I'm not diabetic...but I have had a hysterectomy.)

My niece is really upset because she is now starting to loose her hair (and my daughter will probably do the same). I want them to know that it is okay not to have hair. Life goes on and we can have fun even though we don't have hair.

Thank you for everyone's comments. The comments have been uplifting and encouraging.

:)
Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
hair loss is a side effect of menopause. also thyroid and stress. try to avoid all those especially these days. I loose a handful everytime I brush my hair. I'm 61 yr old I take thyroid med. and a side affect from the med is "hair loss" can't win at all. Like they say you don't have to shave your legs as often so you will have time to work on your new "mustache". good luck girls. Mary
Yeah, what does one do about that mustache (rofl). I am noticing that recently.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I tried to look it up but there were so many of them but couldn't find one that referred to thinning hair. Did anyone else have any problems like me?