Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • For those of you that have flown >
  • For those of you that have flown

• For those of you that have flown

Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Just call the airline that you booked with and ask them. They are really the only ones that can tell you their rules and regulations.
    IF you are traveling out of your own country you need to make sure that your meds are legal in the countries you'll be in. A friend of mine found out that a couple of her meds were VERY illegal in Lithuania and her doctor had to prescibe alternatives that she could take with her.
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM

If you decide to go the backpack route, just be sure to have all the compartments closed securely. My boss was traveling using a backpack, and someone stole her wallet from one of the little pockets while she was wearing the backpack. My boss was notorious for not closing those the pockets, so it was probably like an invitation to a thief.

Also, you know the times you should be leaving and arriving, but in my experience it's unusual to hit those times. So, whatever you carry, bring some things to pass the time - crossword puzzles, snack bars, etc. And have fun!
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Never, ever put anything valuable in checked luggage. Either tuck it in your inside pockets or carry on bag, or send it registered mail ahead of time, especially if you will arrive there before your package.

Get a light, rolling case small enough to fit under the seat, and double check what you are taking with you. You do NOT need every item of clothing in your closet. Most experienced world travelers (of which I'm not, I listen to those who are) take very few things with them for a 2 week stay. You can hand wash underthings/socks/hose, and even most real fabric clothing. A tiny travel iron with special electrical connections will work nicely. Don't forget that nearly every country in the world would be glad to sell you any clothing you need or want. Think of taking a pretty caftan for a house coat/lounging robe. Some of these are lovely and warm in over cooled hotels.

Wear comfortable shoes, and if you can find them, disposable socks to wear till you get through security, then toss them.
    Personally, due to a previously broken ankle, I choose to wear lace up cowboy ropers that are not easy to remove, but with all the walking in a large airport they really pay off in comfort. Then I use the small (less than 3 ounces) bottle of hand sanitizer after removing/putting boots back on.

Get a hanging bag that you pull over your neck and tuck inside your shirt and your important papers, money, credit cards, etc will remain with YOU, and not thieves. Carry a large bag that has your medications, make up, spare clothing and a smaller wallet with a little cash in it. Make sure any males with you put their wallets in their front pockets, even though the neck hanger would be better, but we know how stubborn men are. My DIL used to be a travel agent, and said lots of men had their pockets picked, but the women and few men who wore the neck bags on tours never did lose much at all.

After passing through security you can buy one or several bottles of water/soda/juice and take it onboard with you. Take a snack if you don't feel like buying over priced sandwiches on a less than day long ride.

In spite of all this, you CAN have fun on vacations. Ship home all you buy that would be awkward to carry with you on board a plane or ship.
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM

I always take my notebook computer when I travel, so i use a large laptop case to carry essentials that I don't want to be without. I put a small (empty) purse in my carry on or checked luggage to use once I get to my destination.
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 PM
    tmw

i'v flown alot , but not lately, and i always use a bag, that i can wear across my body, i need water to take med, with so i take a empty bottle and fill it at a water fountain,, i got mine from QVc. [am i allowed to say that; it has a expandable zipper to let it be bigger , and it has alot of room in it, i even wore in on me, and put the seat belt over it, it would never leave my sight, i still use it all the time, i don't trust back packs, they can be opened to easy from somebody behind you!!!
    Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM

I've traveled a lot, but it's not been since 9/11. I agree with the backpacks being an invitation for theft.

I was asking, in the OP, for your favorite tote bag patterns that are large enough for "stuff".
    Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Well, this August I flew to NC to see my new granddaughter, and I took one regulation size carry on rolling suitcase, and one Schlep Bag (free online pattern) that I put a small purse, my laptop, a book, and several snack things into. I can cram lots of stuff in it, and it's pretty light unless I try to carry too much heavy stuff. It's pretty large for a tote, so I kinda do tend to carry too much. But it works out great, and I can twist the handle around the handle of the rolling suitcase and wheel them both through the airport. That's what works for me.

All the liquids have to be 3 oz or less, and all have to fit into 1 (one) zip lock baggie. I don't take any with me...just buy small ones at WalMart when I get to destination. You can carry any bag that you can cram under the seat in front of you. They only make you check your carryon if you are flying on a small regional plane and the carryone won't fit in the overhead....and they don't charge for that. I never check bags onto large planes any more...they all charge for it now.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 AM

here is the link for the Schlep Bag:
    http://sentimentalstitches.net/wp-co...schlep-bag.pdf

Downloaded and added to list of things to make!