I only had 2 plants on the deck,
one had not tomatoes on it,
the second and 3 and they were
beautiful and green.
The minute they started turning
the SQUIRRELS bit them.

ONLY bit, did not eat, just left them.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM

We got beautiful tomatoes for about a month, then the deer figured out how to get on the deck and around my barrier and not only ate the tomatoes, but completely ruined the plants. Oh, well, it fed the hungry. Maybe next year I can build a fenced in garden
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Sounds to me like a neighbor or someone is helping themselves. Mainly because they all are taken without any sign of an animal getting to them. It is really sad when a person will take the food out of another persons mouth that worked so hard for what they have.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM

I confess, it was me! My beef steak tomatoes turned out to be cherry tomatoes so we didn't get any fried green tomatoes this year! ������
Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM

It was the neighbor's children, especially one boy, who ate all my blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, and various other crops. I did all the work and got none of the produce.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM

When I was a teen, we had a toy poodle that would stand on his hind legs and pick apples out of the apple tree. He was very picky. He'd walk around on those hind legs until he found an apple that he liked. Completely ignored the apples that had fallen on the ground. He had quite a personality. When we'd come home from camping, my mom would toss the large ice brick leftover from the cooler out into the yard. That dog would run around the yard, pushing that ice block back and forth with his nose, growling at it the whole time. My grandpa thought that was the funniest thing, he'd laugh and laugh. He said it was like watching a little boy with a toy truck, making truck noises as he pushed it around.

Up until he died last summer, our black lab would stand out in the back yard next to the wild blackberry bushes and bark at the house until someone came out to pick the blackberries for him. What a doofus.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM

squirrels? A friend had them eat hers!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 AM

We have a veggie thief as well. Her name is she is Molly. She is our dog. She ate our pickles, green peppers, now she is starting on the tomatoes. She loves potatoes and carrots as well. She wood eat a salad if you the onions and lettuce were left out.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM

Just tore down my tomato plants in the greenhouse today. I already pickled the green ones and picked the rest of the red ones today. Can't grow tomatoes outside here in AK. Have to have 60 - 65 degrees at least around the clock. This year we installed a heat pump for the greenhouse and got much better yield. I grew green beans, also.
I have a wonderful recipe for pickled green tomatoes (on the counter - no cooking). If you want it, send me a PM. It started as a recipe for on the counter cucumber pickles, but I used it for tomatoes and it worked extremely well. I did two jars of green beans this year and waiting to see how they turn out. They sit on the counter for 1 week before closing and refrigerating. Must be kept in the fridge.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:55 PM

Rats ate ours - a few years ago, DH planted a few tomatoes and then brought in a whole pick-up load of wood for our fireplace for the next winter and threw the wood into a giant pile close to the plants - the tomatoes kept disappearing - he finally saw the rats. Gave me the creeps to know that rats were on our place - but we have a farm with several outbuildings, barn, etc. - so guess you can't keep them away.