Is it too late?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Sleep is so important to our health that if we don't get enough or just get it sporadically, our brain cells die!
A person with untreated sleep apnea can die in their sleep!
If it's a spouse, they will make your life miserable, left untreated. Your body, you choose.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by Airwick156
I don't think I would want to fall asleep in front of the SLEEP doctor...he's liable to tell you THATS WHY you have troubles sleeping because you nap in the day time EVEN though you don't. LOL But definately falling asleep in front of him wouldn't be a good idea.
Falling asleep at odd times & place is a symptom of sleep apnea. DH fell asleep at red lights, in the middle of conversations. The worst was when he fell asleep while walking. He wasn't even aware of it half the time.
Falling asleep at times like that can also be a sign of thyroid problems. My youngest brother ran his pickup truck off the side of a small mountain because of thyroid issues that caused him to fall asleep no matter what he was doing. Thank the Lord a large tree stopped his "drive" down to the bottom. Oh, he also has a very bad sleep apnea problem and a CPAP that makes all the difference in his sleep (and his family can sleep now, too). He even has to have that CPAP with him when he has surgery, it's that bad!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Jan, the way you've just described your afternoon: the slump of energy, the need for a boost, then the sugar crash, followed by an overwhelming exhaustion and need for a nap... well that is all in "the book" on sleep apnea. And it can lead to dangers for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes as well, so please be careful. I used to do the same thing and have found that the CPAP machine is cutting the energy deficit down. Best hopes for you to get a successful treatment for your sleep apnea.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM

I also am concerned about your afternoon crash. It probably is sleep apnea, but don't overlook hypoglycemia also. My daughter used to put her head on the table while I was getting dinner and begin wailing and then sometimes fall asleep. Making sure she got peanuts or some other SLOW sugar release type of food mid morning and mid afternoon made a huge difference. And, sure enough, her daughter started that high pitched wail at about the same age! The snack, if it isn't sweets, takes care of their problem. Yours sounds more complex, but don't ignore the "sugar crash". It has such a simple solution. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Hey Jan do what you want and enjoy to the fullest. Life is tooooo short to stress out about anything.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
I got the machine but having a terrible time with it it leaks and wakes me up and have changed the mask and hose and everything
Please keep trying your machine until everything works right. I had to work with mine some to when I first got it but now I feel so much better in the mornings it was worth the trouble til I got it right.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM

The rep/worker-guy came to the house regarding the machine itself. While here he fitted the mask. Told DH to lie down for fitting and adjustments because the shape of face changes.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM

I am all for napping, especially when the grandsons visit. I get to snuggle them to sleep. They dont always want to sleep but grandma sure does!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Oh no, you must avoid the dreaded keyboard face at all costs!! Go for the official nap every time. It's really hard to get those little squares off your face. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM

If you take a nap be sure to lay on your back and have your feet higher than your heart. Don't use a pillow for your head instead place it under your feet. This will really help you get a true refreshing rest. 15 mins. in this position will do wonders for a person. Sounds strange but it really works.