Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Took DD to church camp today--awful lonely >
  • Took DD to church camp today--awful lonely

• Took DD to church camp today--awful lonely

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Oh my goodness, I so hear you!!! I just picked my DD up from Bible camp on Friday!

First, let me tell you that it is the camp that I attended my whole life as a camper, then as a counsler. That should have made me better. It didn't. I called all my friends, voicing my concerns, she doesn't sleep well at anyones' home right now, even if I'm there. What if she hates kickball like I did? What if, what if, what if.....and they all said the same thing. This will be good for her, and she'll be fine. Well, even if I can get to the she'll be fine place....WHAT ABOUT ME?? I'M NOT FINE!!!!!

As the day approached, I looked for every reason to wait a year, or maybe she would just have those butterflies that she couldn't get rid of and I would just say that's fine, we'll skip it. No such luck.

I woke up with a pit in my stomach. She was all packed, new sleeping bag, bug spray, sunblock, towels, toothbrush, everything. The closer we got the more excited she got, and the more sick I felt. She even shreiked when we pulled in. Are you sure you're fine hunny? YESSSS!!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!! Great. I teared up after I said goodbye, and even got a few laughs from the (18-19 yr old, childless I might add) counslers standing there. "First-timer huh?" Whatever. I do also want to add that the director and his wife were my neighbors my whole childhood, and when he saw me, he did not recognize me. Nice. I have left my most precious thing with people that do not even recognize someone they have known since birth.

I should also mention that my sister was working at the camp that week, and had her 4 kids there too. I would not have been able to leave her there without knowing my sis was there if she needed anything, but it also didn't make me feel any better about leaving my 8yr old for a week.

What happened next can only be described as my insides, namely me heart, ripping and tearing apart every mile further I drove. I cried like a blubbery baby without her mama, all the way home. 2 1/2 hours. And cried til I went to bed. My mom, (who has been out of town herself for 6 weeks) giggled a little and said she'll be fine, and so will you.

Friday came, and it was finally time to pick her up!! Guess what? She did awesome, I don't think she even remembered she had a mama the whole week. I was fine too, but I think it might take the whole year til camp next summer to prepare myself.

And she hated kickball, just like me. She is however, apperently much smarter than me, and was somehow "injured" and sat out a number of times :)

Feeling your pain, and wishing the week to pass quickly for you, Karen (((hugs)))
    Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Keep post cards going to her or if they have email... send her a message occasionally.
    Sometimes, it's best if for the first camping experience, to go to a mother/daughter camp.
    Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Yep been there! Nows the time to do something for yourself as well as making something for her. I had 4 kids and the youngest was the one to go to church camp. Well I survived, and he actually had fun (how dare him!). Hopefully the week will fly by!
    Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
    Power Poster

I remember when I dropped my youngest at collage for her freshman year. I just keep thinking I spent 17 years preparing her for this day. I just forgot to prepare myself. She had a wonderful time there and I adjusted. It will be OK.
    Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM

This is pretty much a No Contact camp. Even if I did mail a post card tomorrow, it probably wouldn't get there before Friday and she'll be coming home that afternoon. There are some people from our church there as music directors, counselors, etc., and this is her second year. As far as mean girls there aren't many--an occasional diva but not usually. She said that if they aren't nice she just ignores them. She has a green and purple fleece blanket that I made for her when I was pregnant--she took it with her so I can't sleep with it. She has a favorite stuffed animal, a chocolate lab puppy--she took him too. I know that she will be well looked after and that she'll be okay. I will too, I made it all the way home and even was able to take a nap before waking up and crying. I have a Strips and Scraps meeting tomorrow so I'll be busy then. Then just two and a half more days. Deep breaths, deep slow breaths. At this age they aren't allowed cell phones or lap tops. The counselors have cell phones and they'll call if there's any problems. More deep breaths. More "safe keeping" prayers. When we left she was looking forward to this evening---she and her friend were going to share some cheesy fries from the Snack Shack. I will survive this! Thank you all for being so understanding and caring.
    Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 AM

Good morning Raptureready. Hope you got some sleep last night. Enjoy your Strips and Scraps meeting today, pamper yourself for the next couple of days, and your sweet DD will be home before you know it, just overflowing with stories and blessings from her time at camp! {{{HUGS}}}
    Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 AM

Oh we are so going thru that here! I have one away for the whole summer this year...yes she's 19 but still! We have 6 kids....my house is never quiet or unbusy. This summer is about my undoing. Oldest dd is 21 and rarely here...most of her time is spent with the bf. She's been to the beach with his family several times already. DD #2 is gone all summer. The next two dd's are back and forth from friend's houses to week long camps and such. Ds spent a week with the gp's and now is at camp. Last night I had 3 at home. Do you know how many years its been since there were only 3 kids in my house? Not to worry though.....dd#2 will be home 2nd week of August and is planning on bringing all the girls in her cabin home with her for a few days.
    Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
    Oh we are so going thru that here! I have one away for the whole summer this year...yes she's 19 but still! We have 6 kids....my house is never quiet or unbusy. This summer is about my undoing. Oldest dd is 21 and rarely here...most of her time is spent with the bf. She's been to the beach with his family several times already. DD #2 is gone all summer. The next two dd's are back and forth from friend's houses to week long camps and such. Ds spent a week with the gp's and now is at camp. Last night I had 3 at home. Do you know how many years its been since there were only 3 kids in my house? Not to worry though.....dd#2 will be home 2nd week of August and is planning on bringing all the girls in her cabin home with her for a few days.
    Now you sound like my mom. We were always volunteering our house for everything. 6 kids but 3 were much older than the younger three so about the time they married and quit bringing home all their friends the 3 of us younger ones started. In trying to get jr. high and high schoolers to go to vacation Bible school we came up with a great idea---the boys could camp out in our woods, the girls could have a slumber party in our house. Between kids, chaperones, and family mom cooked bacon, eggs, and toast for 42 people. Mom was a drill instructor though. She'd call out an age range, they ate, cleared the table, washed and dried the dishes, then set the table for the next age group.
    Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 AM
    Banned

Don't they give tattoos at that camp? Just kidding!!! :lol: :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-81924.jpe  
    Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 AM

Tatoos??? Are you kidding???? It's a Pentecostal camp. Dresses for the girls are all the time---no shorts or pants. Boys--long pants only and shirts at all times. No skirts above the knees, no slits in the skirts above the knees, no sleeveless shirts for anyone, no long hair on the boys, no electronic devices such as cell phones, lap tops, Nintendo DS's, radios, tvs, Ipods, etc. But since everyone dressed in the same manner it's okay. She loves it. We have tv, radios, computers, ds's at home but not at camp. The kids are all used to this so they don't see anything odd about not having a pool or dressing this way. Most of the kids wouldn't put on a bathing suit in front of the opposite sex anyway---it's just they way they're raised.

And I should also add that our boys wear their pants where they're supposed to be---no boxers hanging out for them. It's nice to see so many young men dressed appropriately. They also have to treat the girls with respect and the girls have to conduct themselves accordingly.

You all have fun today, I'm going to a sewing club meeting to while away my day. We're doing a Rainforest Rings table runner today.