Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Took my daughter Prom dress shopping today!! >
  • Took my daughter Prom dress shopping today!!

• Took my daughter Prom dress shopping today!!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Awww....we did this last week....and it was for her Senior prom! I'm like you....just can NOT believe she is about to graduate and go off to college. This is my baby so it will be the last to leave :( Ugh...can't even talk about it without tearing up. We'll all have to post pictures of them all after all the proms are over :D :D I warn ya'll now...my "baby" is 18 and very proud of her little figure so it was a bit more revealing than her daddy and I wanted but it is stunning on her. Kind of a "Red Carpet" look :D
    Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM

This will be her prom since she will be doing running start at college next year So I am so happy for her. She looks so beautiful she has lost some weight ans this dress is shorter than I would have thought for prom but it is so nice to see her in a dress again she has the cutest little mini top hat for her hair I cannot wait to show her off :)!
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 AM

I have 3 daughters and this was our one of our favorite events. We always spent the day making sure the dress was perfect and then had a fun lunch. Sometimes it included a "sick day" from school!! (don't tell)....

Have the best time with your daughter!! Take lots of pictures!
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 AM

I remember that day it was so much fun My daughter is 39 this yr. Boy how time flies.,
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM

I used to work in a bridal shop. It was fun to see the girls come in and find that special dress. We called it the "YES" moment.
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 AM

I took my daughter prom dress shopping last weekend. We found a gorgeous hot pink dress that fits her perfectly! This is amazing because she's 4'7" and usually everything has to be altered. It's even more amazing because, when she was born 18 years ago with Down syndrome, I never imagined she would be going to the prom. But she's going and in June she will walk across the stage for her high school graduation. People have come a long way in their acceptance and treatment of those who are physically and mentally challenged.
    Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM

My church runs a "Cinderella's Closet" that donates prom dresses, shoes, jewelry, purses, the whole get-up to underprivileged girls so they can go to their proms. This will be the 5th year. I have worked in alterations since that first year and it is so wonderful to see those girls when they find a dress. Some of them have said that they never felt beautiful before. You can almost see a physical change in some of them when they look in the mirror. They are each assigned a "fairy godmother" when they arrive who takes them through the process and makes each of them feel like a princess. We call ourselves the "mice" in alterations.
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

I think that is wonderful!! And you and I can cry together this June when our baby girls graduate...LOL :D

Originally Posted by Pam S
    My church runs a "Cinderella's Closet" that donates prom dresses, shoes, jewelry, purses, the whole get-up to underprivileged girls so they can go to their proms. This will be the 5th year. I have worked in alterations since that first year and it is so wonderful to see those girls when they find a dress. Some of them have said that they never felt beautiful before. You can almost see a physical change in some of them when they look in the mirror. They are each assigned a "fairy godmother" when they arrive who takes them through the process and makes each of them feel like a princess. We call ourselves the "mice" in alterations.
    Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
    We used to make homecoming and prom dress shopping a family affair. Twice a year, my husband and Grandma would come with us. Sometimes my girls would try on 25 or more dresses. It was always a full day's affair and they got to be princesses for a day. My last daughter graduated a few years ago, and we miss those days. Enjoy!
    Our last prom...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-169982.jpe   attachment-169983.jpe  
    Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM

What a fun dress. and beautiful daughter