Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Took my shih tzu dog to groomer today and later to vet >
  • Took my shih tzu dog to groomer today and later to vet

• Took my shih tzu dog to groomer today and later to vet

Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
    Google Goddess

Thanks everyone Felix is feeling better today. He doesn't like me putting the drops in his ear but I don't give up and I win.

I lay him down on couch and put a pillow on top of him so I can put drops in his ear. He is now mad at me.

He is spoiled rotten. I have been sitting in rocking chair today and rocking him like a baby and he fell asleep in my arms. Of course with his blanket under him.

Do you think I spoil him?

Also the groomer before would pull out hair from his ears, not sure if the new groomer does it will need to ask them.

Craftybear
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    wow, that is a great idea, thanks

what flavor does your animals get?

Craftybear,
    I feed the plain style, however they would prefer to eat the peach flavor. The plain does not contain sugars as does the flavored ones. Now I don't know about your baby but mine certainly do not need any added sugar in their diet. They have enough energy as is LOL.
    You may want to try a teaspoon size serving for Felix because of his size. My boys weight near the 70 lbs. mark.

As pookie ookie commented, too much is not a good thing.

I included a pic of one of my lovies.

Originally Posted by Carron
    With the loving care you are giving Felix he has no choice but to get better.
    My Standard Poodles have problems too because of their long heavy ears plus they love the pool so they usually get water in the ears. Have spent many $$$ at the vets however, I have been feeding my Poodles a heaping spoon full of yogurt every day now for about two months and the infections have stoped. I have several cats but one is always getting ear mites, started feeding her the yogurt also and the ears are staying clean. I might be worth a try for Felix.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-138384.jpe  
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
    Cyn

My cats and dogs have gotten them so they all stay on monthly medicine for them. They can be passed between them. All of my fur babies are special needs in some way since most were rescued as babies. Someone or two or more are on meds and we see the vet all the time. We named the latest cat after the vet since we go so often. The vet was so moved, he said no one had ever done that before!, that he doesn't charge us for this one. He also knows we'll be in there all the time because I take animals I can't keep to him to be checked and update shots before finding them homes. It's the right thing to do :)
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Awww, Felix is a cutie pie. I hope your baby gets better soon!
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
    Google Goddess

what type of meds are the dogs on for ear mites. Do you have to put meds in ears all the time. Was wondering if there is a pill to give him monthly??

Originally Posted by Cyn
    My cats and dogs have gotten them so they all stay on monthly medicine for them. They can be passed between them. All of my fur babies are special needs in some way since most were rescued as babies. Someone or two or more are on meds and we see the vet all the time. We named the latest cat after the vet since we go so often. The vet was so moved, he said no one had ever done that before!, that he doesn't charge us for this one. He also knows we'll be in there all the time because I take animals I can't keep to him to be checked and update shots before finding them homes. It's the right thing to do :)
    Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 PM

This is a little off topic but since my shih tsu takes daily meds for his thyroid and is on antibiotics at present I got things at the vets called Pill Pockets.They are a soft doughlike thing with a hole in th middle and I just break off a little piece and mould it around the pills. He waits every AM for his pills it's great he caught on to the cheese and a lot of other camoflages over the years but we have been using these for about 2 1/2 years and he loves them still!
    Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Poor little guy , hope you both feel better soon. I have 2 miniture puppy grands ! Love them they are so sweet ! Would hate for them to get those darn things. The smallest broke her leg when she tried to run down the stairs ! She great now they did a super fix and you would never know. she literally hops like a rabbitt through the yard. so cute to watch ! All will be well again. gentle hugs
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
    Banned

The best remedy for ear mites is a couple of crushed cloves of garlic in 1/2 cup or so of olive oil. Swab it in with a cotton swab. I used to use it on my rabbits all the time, and the dog a couple of times. They clear up within two days of using it.
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
    Google Goddess

Felix is doing better tonight, I looked in his ear and not very red now but will continue putting drops in his ear twice a day for the next week per vet instructions
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
    Google Goddess

thanks for the information

Originally Posted by morelcabin
    The best remedy for ear mites is a couple of crushed cloves of garlic in 1/2 cup or so of olive oil. Swab it in with a cotton swab. I used to use it on my rabbits all the time, and the dog a couple of times. They clear up within two days of using it.