Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC.  ON 4-16-11 >
  • TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC. ON 4-16-11

• TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC. ON 4-16-11

Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM

I saw this in the paper this morning and wondered if any of our members were effected by the storm. Many thoughts and prayers are being sent.
    Old 04-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I was watching our local TV station and they were showing the storm as it moved over Raleigh. It was huge and did a lot of damage in Raleigh. It originated many miles from Raleigh and stayed on the ground for almost 100 miles. There were many such tracks in North Carolina. This particular tornado killed some young childred in a trailer home park. So sad. Many places had major damage. God was with us and we had only rain and heavy winds where we live. Our prayers are with all those who experienced the tornados
    Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM

We're leaving Idaho on the 29th and heading out to Raleigh to live. I don't look forward to driving across country this time of year, but there's no choice. We moved to Charlotte from Florida in 1989, and never went through a
    hurricane in Florida as bad as Hugo was in NC that year! Hoo boy!!
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM

i'm kinda south of durham right now and it was scary. didn't see a tornado but the wind was awesome and the rain. could not see out the windows. the sky was so dark. i've never seen it that dark before and i'm 42. the Lord watched over us, my son and i are in a camper trailer in a rv park. actually, when the storm was coming, we headed to the concrete block laundry house. had my laptop and watched the local tv station on it. haven't seen any damage around me, but what they showed on the tv was incredible. will be headed to apex and holly springs in the morning to work, apparently the tornado went thru our jobsite (I540 extension). so we may not get to work for a coupla days. rain really slows things down, but i dont know what tornado damage would do. i certainly hope that the people here can recover from this ok and that the insurance companies and govt aid come thru quickly. there are so many that lost everything and 21 were killed just in NC. so so sad.
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Hopefully the weather will be settling down here real soon. This time of year is so unpredictable. I can't tell you how many times Paducah was hit with terrible storms right before we got there. I know of at least 2 times we missed a tornado or something right close to it. I am so glad that the fatalities were low. Devastation probably don't even describe how the people feel. Shock is what I would picture. My prayer & thoughts goes out to those affected by this.
    Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 AM

I am not too sure that winter is going to go any where this year .I am so thankful that we don't have those tornados,though once in awhile we get some that rip through,nothing like many places.Glad you suffered no damage
    Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 AM

I have kids and grandkids and friends in New Bern and they have been in touch and are ok. There has been damage all areound them.
    Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM

Monday am paper in Greensboro headline says 45 died in these NC storms. Governor seeking Federal aid. Red Cross seeking $ for tornado aid.
    Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Prayers sent!!
    Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM
    csh

God is good IF I lived a mile to the east my house could have been hit. I want to thank everyone for there prayers.