Traveling with our cat...

Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Kas

I started with my former cat when she was just a kitten. That way she never knew if she was going to the vet, or just for a ride. I got lots of looks from truckers and such on my trips home from college with a kitten on my dash! I just made a small litterbox that fit inside the cat carrier and she was good. In fact, she drove with me and my dad cross country when I moved from Alabama to Washington State! The hardest thing about that was sneaking her into hotels at night.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM

It'll take time. Just keep taking her out there and sitting with her with the engine running and without it running. Maybe sleep out there a few nights with her. She just needs to get comfortable with it.
My cats HATE, HATE the van. But, they had no choice with a cross country trip. Not to mention the 2 plane rides they had to endure. They came out fine.
One would sit on her crate and look out the window...she's not too smart at times and Big Boy would hide under the seat. He would come out to eat and use the litterbox, then back under the seat he would go. That was his "safe haven". Once in a while he would venture out to sit on someone's lap for a bit, but he got used to the van. Guess he figured he might as well because there was nothing he could do about it.
Just give kitty some time, she'll get used to it. Don't leave her home, take her with. I'd LOVE to take my cats with me everytime I traveled, but since I do fly alot, it's not possible and there are alot of hotels that don't like cats.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

When I knew we were going to be moving from NY to Ohio we took what I called cat rides. The fist time we were lucky we made it around the block. Each ride we went a little farther. We started doing this in April and we had some nice 2 hour road trips. By the time July came she was use to the car and we made it to Ohio without any problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM

There is a product called Kids Rescue Remedy by Bach. It is an all natural product, no drugs or chemicals or alcohol in it. It is made for children for natural stress relief but my vet recommended it for our dog, who is a chilhuhua mix and you know how nervous they can get. We were traveling to WA in our car, a 3 day trip, she's elderly, and I couldn't give her any medication because at her age it could kill her.

Wow, does it work great! A few drops and by 20 minutes into the trip she was calm and relaxed, not doped up, she got out of the car at every rest stop (and we stop a lot being a little long in the tooth ourselves)and I only had to use it twice, she travels great now!

I got it at a health food grocery store, I told the gal that was helping me I was buying it for my dog, she said everyone buys it for their animals because there nothing in it that can harm them. So, you might give it a try.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM

My sister uses a cat crate for her cats, even at home. The doors are usually open. If you cat has a safe place at home, they will feel safer in that place on the move as well.