Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!! >
  • Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!!

• Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
    The first few times threading is difficult but eventually you will get the knack of it. Remember, when you want to change thread colors, cut the old color at the spool and tie the new color on (use a square knot) and just serge until the new color is through all the loops and hooks - that way you won't have to re-thread it to change colors. I LOVE my serger! Enjoy yours.
    Just a footnote to these instructions - tying on the new thread to the old thread works very nicely BUT it does not work for the needles, well at least for actually putting the thread thru the needle eyes. You will have to do that manually & usually with a pair of tweezers that you should have received with your accessories. Lucky find for you at $8.00 - that is an absolute steal !!
    Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM

a real good use for a serger is to serge the edge of a quilt before you bind it---keeps all the layers together and makes it much easier to put the binding on---stablilizes the edges---I also use mine when I shorten jeans or anything
    Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM

same here Scarlet...it ends up being used almost every day
    always serge the cut edge of yardage before washing it especially flannel as i wash and dry it 3 times before cutting so the finished project does not shrink

my serger does not let the knotted thread serge thru 100% of the time ...so i knot the new thread on then turn the tension down to lowest possible on all dials then lift the presserfoot with the needles in the highest position and pull the threads thru till all the knots have cleared then turn the tension knobs back to the correct tensions lower the presser foot on scrap and do a test run.....this has worked every time.....it has been 15 years since I completely rethreaded it.
    Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM

I love my serger! I've got enough napkins to set my table 20 times over! LOL!
    Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Me too; I keep my serger threaded up ready to use all the time.....and the note about not trying to sew the knot through your needle--it will break it--just snip your needle thread and hand thread it only. The other two will sew through just fine, but it is H... to have to replace a broken needle and still have to thread it by hand. And yes, I haven't bought a "dish rag" in fifteen years--I just serge the four sides of whatever 100 percent cotton item that is most recently worn out in 12" squares. See, I am as full of good ideas as all the rest of your smart ladies.....
    Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

I have a small Singer serger and I never unthread it! I tie the thread together and pull. I learned to make a tiny slip knot and it goes right through the needle eyes.
    Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Have a three thread baby lock I got in 80's when they first came out at Cloth World, had to make payments, and it still sews great, and if material likes to ravel, it is just what is needed.
    Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Great story! Glad you're having fun with it!
    Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 AM

Lost the manual to my Singer overlocker (serger) paid $15 for a new one then the old one showed up. I now keep one in the overlocker box and one with all my other manuals. I've had my machine for 27 or 28 years. It has certainly had some use in that time.
    Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM

I have a Singer surger i bought at Costco in 92 or 93. it is just a basic surger but i really enjoy it. Threading it is the worst part. Lots of patience required sometimes. other times it is right the first time. using the tie on method works well if you have'nt broken the thread. I try to do it that way but you still need the tweezers to thread the needles.