Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

• Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

The only coupons I use are for non food items. The food coupons are all for the processed/junk foods. I buy all whole foods either fresh, canned or frozen. Lean meats and fresh dairy and fruits. Some condiments and that's it. My food budget is the least of our household expense. When you aren't working you can make your own bread. I use flour, water, yeast, salt for crackly crusty french bread for almost every meal. Check out http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ for low cost cooking. Her milk shake recipe not using ice cream is one of my favorite treats. It's like Wendy's Frosty.
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM

yup i know what you meen about homeschool kids who cant talk i was one of them took me till i was in college to come out of my shell. i think homeshooling is great if you can be organized enough about it and the kids whant to learn but if they already hate doing schoolwork you will have a realy rough time off it trust me my mom kind off dropped the ball with us kids she brags about me going to college and graduating with honors but she dident whant me to go thought i should stay home and and whait for a man to come and take me off her hands. thats what my sister did and mom dosent like how shes doing things eather. i met my DH in college and have been happily married for over 4 years now. im so glad i folowed my dreams God has realy blessed me with a wonderfull husband and 2 great children. I think homescholling is great and will probly homeschool my kids but not the way my mother did. i will try to be more structured but still fun and get the kids lots of time to interact with others of all ages. Hope things work out for you God Bless
    Originally Posted by AngieS
    Originally Posted by sew cornie
    If you're experienced with homeschooling, have you considered tutoring? You could charge by the hour, set your own time schedule, choose your specialties (ie. grade school math, middle school english, etc.). It sounds like you have a passion for children and for education. God has put these passions on your heart for a reason.

I've also been looking at options. My youngest begins Kinder in the fall and we've always said I'd go back to work when he hits first grade. I'm going to be spending the coming school year building up an inventory of home-sewn baby/child items and will begin selling in the fall of 2012 (when 1st grade starts). We've also spent many months praying about what our options will be and listening to where God is leading us. Many things have come unexpectedly into place recently to make all of this happen. I feel like God has said to me, "Well, it's about time you figured out what you're supposed to be doing for me!". LOL.
    Thank you. No, I've never homeschooled because DH was against the idea when Lucas was starting school. He has now seen that children can be taught from home and thrive. I think. :) We do know several children that were homeschooled and aren't able to hold a conversation. I have told him repeatedly that you have to look at the whole picture. It's not just the teaching, maybe the parents are that way. Maybe it's just the child that is not out going. Our children are the opposite! I think I've beat him over the head with that so much he's realizing it. There are lots of very intellectual children in the world that were homeschooled. :thumbup:
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I know of a woman in our town that has "before/after" school babysitting. The kids are dropped off at her house around 6:30 or 7:00 and she takes them to school and picks them up after school. The parents usually pick them up before 5:00 so she only has them for 90 minutes or so. It would be alot better than babysitting all day. You could tell them you don't babysit when there is no school in session so you aren't tied down all day. One lady here only babysits teacher's kids so she has the summers off and has the same schedule as the school system does.

Helping the elderly is another good suggestion. You could offer to take them to the store or bring a homecooked meal to them. You would be surprised how many people go for that when they don't drive anymore and don't have family close by that is willing to help. You might put some kind of ad in the paper and see if there is a need in your area.
    Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Have you been watching the extreme coupon shows on TLC? They make great money by collecting large amounts of coupons and saving thousands of dollars a yr with all the food and house hold products you could ever want. I have noticed since the show started, alot of the coupons now have a 4 per visit limit. Even if you dont go to the extreme, you can save alot each visit if you don't forget to take coupons with you to the store.
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks you all. I appreciate all of your help. :) Hugs!!