Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

• Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM

If you're experienced with homeschooling, have you considered tutoring? You could charge by the hour, set your own time schedule, choose your specialties (ie. grade school math, middle school english, etc.). It sounds like you have a passion for children and for education. God has put these passions on your heart for a reason.

I've also been looking at options. My youngest begins Kinder in the fall and we've always said I'd go back to work when he hits first grade. I'm going to be spending the coming school year building up an inventory of home-sewn baby/child items and will begin selling in the fall of 2012 (when 1st grade starts). We've also spent many months praying about what our options will be and listening to where God is leading us. Many things have come unexpectedly into place recently to make all of this happen. I feel like God has said to me, "Well, it's about time you figured out what you're supposed to be doing for me!". LOL.
    Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
    If you're experienced with homeschooling, have you considered tutoring? You could charge by the hour, set your own time schedule, choose your specialties (ie. grade school math, middle school english, etc.). It sounds like you have a passion for children and for education. God has put these passions on your heart for a reason.

I've also been looking at options. My youngest begins Kinder in the fall and we've always said I'd go back to work when he hits first grade. I'm going to be spending the coming school year building up an inventory of home-sewn baby/child items and will begin selling in the fall of 2012 (when 1st grade starts). We've also spent many months praying about what our options will be and listening to where God is leading us. Many things have come unexpectedly into place recently to make all of this happen. I feel like God has said to me, "Well, it's about time you figured out what you're supposed to be doing for me!". LOL.
    Thank you. No, I've never homeschooled because DH was against the idea when Lucas was starting school. He has now seen that children can be taught from home and thrive. I think. :) We do know several children that were homeschooled and aren't able to hold a conversation. I have told him repeatedly that you have to look at the whole picture. It's not just the teaching, maybe the parents are that way. Maybe it's just the child that is not out going. Our children are the opposite! I think I've beat him over the head with that so much he's realizing it. There are lots of very intellectual children in the world that were homeschooled. :thumbup:
    Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt
    Maybe check incomeathome.com????
    Sadly, this is an MLM or multi-level marketing program. It is terrible that so many respected people have endorsed it.
    Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt
    Maybe check incomeathome.com????
    Sadly, this is an MLM or multi-level marketing program. It is terrible that so many respected people have endorsed it.
    Oh my, it does come highly recommended though..maybe there's other "stay at home" businesses one can start????
    Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Here are my two cents.

If you are good in sales, I would look for something that could be sold to businesses. you can make good commissions working your own hours.

when my kids where small, I got a divorce. My ex was not much help money wise, and I had to take care of my four children.

I went to the local newspaper and started selling advertising for them. This gave me a good income and allowed me to work while my children were at school. Later on, I started complimenting my income by selling business cards and printed materials to the same businesses that were buying advertising from me.

I like selling something to a businesses because the business hours are during daytime, as opposed to selling something to individuals because you have to visit them after business hours.

You could look for something in your local area. Any business owner would jump at the opportunity of having a saleswoman on commission.

and the beauty of this is that you can make a lot of business over the phone and the Internet.

I hope this helps.
    Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
    Originally Posted by bearisgray
    You said your older boys were changing - I think it was because they were no longer being home schooled.

That might be part of it - but they are becoming teenagers!

I think a normal part of most teenagers lives - especially boys - is to become less "cuddly" - for lack of a better word.

I've always thought that one reason teenagers became harder to live with - was so that it's easier to let them go.

Any reason why your kids can't go to public school? By now, they should have picked up most of your values.

And if some of what I've read is true, there can also be "danger" in a parochial/private school

If you cut down/out all those things you've mentioned - that would be about (or maybe more) what a person making minimum wage would have earned.i
    Our oldest is still in a private school but our other 3 boys the twins (10 years old) and our 7 year old are in public school. They are around kids that have horrible mouths and have said things that I didn't hear of until I was married! Seriously! Even the principal that we talked to about some other things was amazed at what these children do and say.

The part of them changing that bothers me is the I don't care about anyone/anything mentality. I want them to care about their brothers and their sister. They have gotten mean and hateful. They are just so different than they were. It is hard to be around them some days. That is sad. I want to get them back. :cry:

Sorry.
    Have you considered any of the virtual academies for homeschooling? Many fall under public education so they don't cost anything. k12 is very good.My son is a very advanced learner. Our local schools are spending more and more time and money on anyone BUT the fast learners so we school at home ourselves . If you truly want to keep your kids home, check it out.
    Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 AM

Definitely check out www.thegrocerygame.com I save about 70% off my grocery bill every week. Tonight, I "robbed" Kroger of $185 worth of groceries and paid $50.
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 AM

Taking on the care of an elderly would be VERY useful and helpful PLUS... you give them some social time when you are there. I know older folks don't get a lot of company. What a wonderful idea.
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 AM

I too have 5 children & have been a stay at home mom the entire time, my oldest is 21 my youngest 6. It is a choice my husband & i made. YES we made sacrifices but they were well worth it. U may find with a few minor adjustments U CAN MAKE IT! think of the gas & sitting money ull save. There actually was a prime time report on MANY MANY yrs ago moms who wanted to stay at home but thought they couldnt afford it. It turns out the formula they devised what the ACTUAL cost to work clothes, gas, convenience foods, stress, yada yada it was COSTING them $ for her to work! Making ur own food from scratch vs convience foods right there is a considerable cost savings not to mention U KNOW what ur feeding ur family. YES some sacrifices HAVE to be made in the end they r WELL WORTH IT, EVERYONE is happier & kids more secure & the STRESS u unload is GREAT. 1 other perk being a stay at home mom is that u CAN do odd jobs on the side right from ur home taking into account the needs of ur family. U learn making, growing, & cheaper food shopping & other shopping can be an exciting new skill to learn. Thrift shopping is def in vogue & ur helping the planet at the sametime. It does seem like u wont be able to make it, i challenge u to step into the unknown & feel good about it & KNOW u r making a wise choice & u & ur family WILL be better off for it. I PROMISE Any & ALL sacrifices will NOT seem like sacrifices but Choices for the better good. Blessings.
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 AM

Maybe you could tutor some kids, make a grocery list and stick to it when shopping and use coupons I have been saving at least $30.00 a month that way.