Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

• Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Angie, you can do this!! I was blessed to be able to stay home and homeschool for 16 years. We just learned to do without, and frankly, we didn't really miss out on anything.

Just an idea... rather than giving up the Internet and all the opportunities it offers for homeschooling (and ahem... keeping up with your quilting buddies...), why not put it to work for you? One of my coworkers has daughters who sell their clothing, books, etc. on ebay and Amazon and make LOTS of money... selling their used stuff! Make it a family business, incorporate it onto school, and your kids will learn SO much useful material. They are old enough to do some of the listings, help package and mail.

Off the top of my head, let's see... math, spelling, geography, not to mention character traits of helpfulness and responsibility... it could be a winner!!

Keep us posted on how you make out. But definitely give up the job!!
    Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 AM

Thank you all. These are some great ideas! I love the idea of selling things on the computer-oh, and of course getting to chat w/all of my friends here. I love it here. I spend WAY too much time on here! ;)

DH and I were talking this morning. We have our kitchen floor ripped up and are getting ready to put down a new one. (we also have an addition with a bathroom and a half bath then 2 more bedrooms that need carpet) We desperately need a shed to store our stuff. So, we are thinking......go with a cheaper floor for now-I don't have a problem with this at all! Build our own shed-saving a TON of money instead of buying one and do the floors next year after tax season. :) I need to finish painting the kitchen then I can put the floor down myself while he is working. I think we have a winner! This will save us so much money right now and he even suggested building it with the loft-like a 2 story so I can put all of my sewing/quilting stuff in there. That would be AWESOME! With electricity, we have 3 room air conditioners and 2 of those baseboard heaters that can be moved around. So, no need to worry about it being too hot or too cold. (Would the weather affect my machine though?) This way I'm not using up a bedroom in the house. Plus we will need the extra space in the house if we are homeschooling. So, I'm thinking it can be a win win situation!

I appreciate all of your thoughts, prayers and ideas. You all are great!
    Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM

I haven't read all the posts yet but so far no one has mentioned raising a garden. Providing a part of your own food can save a substantial amount of money and it gives you such satisfaction! It also provides a great time to share with your kids if you will get them involved. I have raised a garden most of my life (I'm 65) and some of the kids fondest memories are working in the garden. Good luck.
    Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

I really think you can do it! Have you read the book, The Tightwad Gazette? Funny name, I know, but this lady raised 6 kids on very little. I thought it was a great book!
    I work part time for minimum wage now, since last Summer when the place I worked at closed. I have to be very frugal now, and its really helping! I garden, plus find wild food, like asparagus, berries, dandelion greens....coupon. Recycle anything you can, ask others to save their aluminum cans for you. Sell extra garden produce, mend for others, and sell at consignment stores or rummage sales!
    Hugs to you, I know you cna do it!
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 AM

I would want to keep the Internet. As others have mentioned, it's great for homeschooling. I've found free classes for my kids online and we can look up virtually anything online. You might need it to find work (even cleaning houses). Also, I would think twice about dropping the insurance coverage. My son was recently rear-ended and the other driver's insurance paid the repair bill. You also need to know what the insurance laws in your state require you to carry. But law aside do be sure to protect yourself and your family with liability and property damage as ptquilts mentioned. My dad is a retired insurance agent. I learned a few things from him over the years.
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Angie, you can do this!! I was blessed to be able to stay home and homeschool for 16 years. We just learned to do without, and frankly, we didn't really miss out on anything.

Just an idea... rather than giving up the Internet and all the opportunities it offers for homeschooling (and ahem... keeping up with your quilting buddies...), why not put it to work for you? One of my coworkers has daughters who sell their clothing, books, etc. on ebay and Amazon and make LOTS of money... selling their used stuff! Make it a family business, incorporate it onto school, and your kids will learn SO much useful material. They are old enough to do some of the listings, help package and mail.

Off the top of my head, let's see... math, spelling, geography, not to mention character traits of helpfulness and responsibility... it could be a winner!!

Keep us posted on how you make out. But definitely give up the job!!
    I love this! And I agree! Definitely give up the job! I also like your ideas on the floor and shed! You'll never regret the time you spend with your kids. They grow up so fast.
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Start keeping notes of everything that you will be doing - or NOT be doing, put the cost, and each detail. When you feel comfortable, write a book detailing exactly on what tips you could share with our country. Who knows - you just MAY have a big seller ant would definitely generate some $$. Also, I heard that people that post interesting videos on youtube make about $100 K! that is GREAT!
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Well, as a mom of 4 I understand where you are coming from! We homeschool the 3 oldest that are 9, 8 and 6. Personally, I would keep my internet as without it I would feel completely cut off from society! Plus, it can be a huge asset for homescholing. Just making menus, cooking from scratch and not paying for daycare will have a positive effect on your budget! Possibly check out etsy.com if you have handmade items you might be able to sell. If God is leading you to stay home He WILL provide the means to do so! Your life may not look like your neighbors but don't let that get to you!
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM

I think you are right on target about staying home. You have thought this out very well, and I think this board has given such wonderful advice and ideas. Now we are on the other end of the spetrum.........near retiring age..........and several years ago we decided to live BELOW our means. We pay cash for everything, one charge card that is paid off each month, we each have a cell phone.......cheap that we buy minutes each month .....total about $25, then our land line basic no long distance........$21 month.........and buy a 450 minute long distant card from dollar general. We buy generic, and prepare meals from scratch. We WILL not turn on air conditioner until mid June, use a wood stove for heating in the winter..........which our electric bill in summer is $50....up to $70 with air conditioner.(Our house is 3000 sq feet. We gave up cable tv years ago..........and found that it made us lazy, we now do more together. My husband installed a tall antennae, and you would be surprised how many channels we get. We do not do without the internet..........that is our one luxury. We do family outings, go to the creek, picnic, cookouts. My husband and I work together in the yard. Laundry: I by choice hang out my clothes and only use dryer in winter. These ideas may sound drastic to you, but guess what.......we never never have to ask anyone for money or assistance, we do have family members that want us to give them money for things..........we do not............we will help them with ideas to live within therir means, or offer them food, clothing , shelter..........but not money...........I too go to the library, and if we feel that we need an occasional new movie we rent it or say in the winter when we are house bound, we buy a 'gift card" with netflix and get us by for 3 months............My cousin cleans houses..........in NC she charges $20/hr and does a house in 3 to 4 hr.........she does 2-3 days a week.........depending .........and generates about $460 to$800 month..........she prefers to do 3hr days no more than 2 days a wk..............Well enjoy life with your children, I wish I could have stayed home full time, but I did have to work part time. My prayers are with you and your family.....you are doing the right thing.
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
    Power Poster

Try living like you aren't working now. Put your paycheck in the bank after work expenses and don't spend it. You should be able to tell if you can make it by not working. I wouldn't give up internet, the kids need that for schoolwork and to stay current. Kids change from sweet and loving to who are you? You can't stop that by keeping them at home! It occurs naturally. LOL