Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

• Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
    We have figured up that if we cut out all the extras like cable, internet-YIKES, home phone...
    NOW I remember what I wanted to say! You might want to reconsider getting rid of the home phone. Your kids are nearing an age where you can start hopping to the store, etc, leaving one or more of them home alone. Without a home phone they will not be able to call for help if they need it, or call you, unless you are planning to get another cell phone (which can be pricey).

My neighbor just went through this with their phones so I meant to mention it to you earlier, sorry I'm late. :)
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

Just want to encourage you in your plans. We watched our eldest GS while DD worked. She is a SAM now but works PT as a police dispatcher. She works the 8-8 shift and her DH stays with the 3 boys. I would let the people at your church/temple know of your plans and see what ideas they have. Most of the Moms at my GS school work full time to meet expenses. Do the garden thing...barter if you can. I beleive you will find the sacrifices you do make will be worthwhile. God Bless...
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Since you apparently had some education that you can home school, how about advertising in the local store, school etc to do some tutoring?
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM

One of the greatest blessings I had when my parents were still alive and living 3 hours away was a gentleman who recently retired who drove them to and from doctors' appointments, He charged $20 round-trip, and took care of my parents like they were his. This would work, particularly if you're in an area where public transportation is not available or convenient. This worked well for my parents as they still had their license, but should not have been driving in city traffic, so they agreed to use his services. With gas costs being higher, you might want/be able to charge a little more, but not much. Don't know if this gives you any help, but that's all I could think of.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks, more great ideas. ;)
    Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Do you like to write? Check out Bright Hub. Since you have kids at home and know about home schooling, there could be a great advantage for articles. It may not be a lot of money at first, but, the more you write the more 'hits' you get, the more it pays.

Freelancing can pay, if you are patient with it.
    Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
    Do you like to write? Check out Bright Hub. Since you have kids at home and know about home schooling, there could be a great advantage for articles. It may not be a lot of money at first, but, the more you write the more 'hits' you get, the more it pays.

Freelancing can pay, if you are patient with it.
    Wow! This sounds neat! Ive always thought it would be neat to write children's books even. :p
    Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 AM

You may want to check out

http://www.simplemom.net

She is a blogger doing a series right now on working from home. Today's article is titled, "Five business ideas for work-at-home wannabes".
    Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Thank you!! I am going there now to check it out. ;)
    Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
    Originally Posted by loriea
    I admire your desire to not work outside your home while raising a family. I was home with mine and do not regret it one bit. Children grow up way too fast especially in today's culture. Money was tight, we had 4 kids in Catholic schools. I did a little day care here and there part time. I did cook and bake a lot from scratch. Our family entertainment was tent camping, reading aloud in the evenings and fun meals like picnics (indoors during cold weather). The library was a great place to go with our kids. Hang in there and follow your heart, not necessarily what the neighbors think is important.
    Thank you. Our children are growing. Our oldest is now 13, our twins are 10, our youngest boy is 7 and our only girl is 3. I miss being home with them something terrible. I feel like I've missed so much of our little girl's life. I want to be the one there when she's not feeling well or is riding her bike and other things. My boys are so loving but with them being around the other kids at their new school I can see the change. I need to get them back to how they were....sweet and loving. Since my DH works at night I don't really want to babysit anyone's children. I have tried that and just got to where I couldn't enjoy my own because there were so many. I had 3 little girls that I kept, they were really sweet but the mother was a different story. I felt very bad for the children but I just couldn't watch them anymore.

I would love to have my kids and I be able to go and visit people in nursing homes and brighten the elderly's day. :) My kids love to chat with the elderly of our church. Since I work all the time we don't get to go and visit like I would like to do. My house work is always hurried. No deep cleaning because there's just not enough time. On Mother's Day we had a throw out session-which was very enjoyable actually! ;) We got rid of a truck load of things. Just things, things we no longer needed/wanted. Oh, that felt so good. Yes, I know I could have tried to have a yardsale but really I just would rather pass it on to someone that can use it. We put old boardgames that the kids were not going to use outside and they were gone quickly, a printer/fax/copier, an air purifier, a track lighting set still in the box, tons and tons of our clothes that no longer fit. I have a huge bag of comforters and sheets and some clothes for my nephews.

I would love to have a decluttering of the entire house. It is just so slow going while trying to work. I also need to finish painting on the inside of the house.....takes time and I am too tired when I get home in the evening. I get home around 5, make dinner and lunch, DH leaves at about 7 and I'm busy putting the kids in the bath, homework and in the bed. I'm exhausted by 8 pm.

So, I have to figure this out! :thumbup: I'm done rambling. Sorry. :XD:
    Take it from someone who's kids are in their 30's- they grow up really fast, so don't worry about the house too much while they are small. That doing errands for people sounds like a very good idea, as you could take a couple of kids with you if you have to... Good luck, I am so glad you are trying to stay home with your children, they do not get and learn what they need by going to daycare, or even in a trusted person's home.