Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >
  • Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

• Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM

How to stay home and save money.
    First - if you are not working you do not need to buy work clothes- Money saved.
    Second - The TV braking was a blessing.
    Third- Cook for less

Ideas of how to make money- ? Which I knew
    Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM

I stayed home with our four daughters until our youngest was 14, then I cleaned houses and started teaching crochet classes. Cleaning houses taught me a lot about human nature and about my own habits. I have never regretted a minute of it.....until they became teenagers, but that is its own special story, LOL. If you like the idea of helping the elderly, talk to some people who have parents with a need.

Hone your skills on the sewing machine; try giving small gifts like potholders to people so they see your work, tell them you are trying to start a business in a small way and if they have anyone they would like gifts for along that line to call you. Tell them you will make any combination of colors tailor-made for their friends. Aprons are very easy. In our local grocery store, they are $20 apiece. I can make just as good, if not better, for $10 and still make a profit and I would bet you could too. Pincushions, mug rugs, coaster sets in gorgeous fabric; those are some things you could do that were small and didn't need to be quilted by someone else, if you don't have the skills yet.

I'm sure many more will give you great ideas here too. We have some amazing talents among this board.
    Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM

I can see where this would be helpful but what kind of food does it buy? I watched the coupon program on Bravo and they paid about $6.00 for $200.00 worth of groceries but it's all junk food, food with lots of preservatives, and artificial food. As far as I know, and I could be very wrong, there aren't a lot of coupons for vegetables, fruits and the body-building foods. Am I uninformed and if so, where do I go to get this kind of coupon and make the killing you do???

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings
    Definitely check out www.thegrocerygame.com I save about 70% off my grocery bill every week. Tonight, I "robbed" Kroger of $185 worth of groceries and paid $50.
    Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Maybe you can get on in school cafeteria. Check with elderly assosiation I don't remember what they call it but you can clean house or do errands or take them to grocery stores etc[ these jobs pay good]Myself I would like someone come do some housecleaning for me because I can't reach or bend to low. Do check with those associations because they keep on file a list of names. Good Luck. Sometimes they need a "sitter" at hospital because they want someone there with their loved ones and they get worn out.
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM

The average family is said to spend from $6000 to $8000 a year on food. I have to say with a family that is bigger then average on my end its best to always start there. Coupons can save you lots and sometimes even get the items for free. Check that out as a way to save more Good Luck I am a stay at home mom of 4 boys!
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM

You may be able to find other homeschoolers or other kids to teach sewing to for a little cash.

I have known several women that homeschool their kids, but does morning and afternoon babysitting with homework assistance.
    Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM

99% of coupons I see are for junk food/processed food. I "eat clean" (no flour, sugar, processed foods, alcohol, or caffeine and very limited dairy). Cooking at home is much cheaper than eating out. Plan meals ahead of time. I make a calendar of 28 days worth of meals and I follow it every 28 days. This makes creating a grocery list so much easier. I assume eating the same thing about 12 times/year is not horrible. Keep meals very healthy by limiting beverages to skim milk and water (juice is very expensive liquid sugar).

I feel the people that walk out of the grocery store with $200 of groceries and pay only like $10 are just making groceries more expensive for the rest of us. Grocery stores can't survive selling to everyone that cheaply...
    Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    I feel the people that walk out of the grocery store with $200 of groceries and pay only like $10 are just making groceries more expensive for the rest of us. Grocery stores can't survive selling to everyone that cheaply...
    Actually I believe the grocery stores make out pretty well, it's often the manufacturers whose coupons are used in this way. Manufacturers reimburse the stores, and they don't care about "extreme couponers" because that group is extremely small compared to the number of items they sell to your every day coupon clipper (plus those who see the coupon, don't clip it and buy the product anyway because they saw it advertised - $$$). Grocery stores make more money that way, too, PLUS there are more shoppers in the store who will pay full price for other things. Everybody wins, or they wouldn't do it.
    Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Look into www.e-mealz.com. It is endorsed by Dave Ramsey. They plan menus based on a store's sales. Suppose to help you save money and stop eating out. (My biggest problem). The meals my husband & I have tried already are delicious!! They are suppose to be for 2 people, but occasionally I will have leftovers for a "bonus" meal!
    Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    99% of coupons I see are for junk food/processed food. I "eat clean" (no flour, sugar, processed foods, alcohol, or caffeine and very limited dairy). Cooking at home is much cheaper than eating out. Plan meals ahead of time. I make a calendar of 28 days worth of meals and I follow it every 28 days. This makes creating a grocery list so much easier. I assume eating the same thing about 12 times/year is not horrible. Keep meals very healthy by limiting beverages to skim milk and water (juice is very expensive liquid sugar).

Thank you. That sounds neat. Would you be willing to share an idea of your calendar?

I think the coupon deal is not so bad for a store because don't they make like an extra 8 cents for each coupon extra that is used? I was thinking they earned extra if somoene used them. I do think that so few people use the coupons that it can't be all that bad. We don't even get coupons in our newspapers here in our city. That stinks! We do get them every now and then in flyers that come in the mail.

We like a variety of foods but still get tired of the same old stuff. Even eating out gets old. KWIM?

I like to use my crockpot when I can expecially when it's going to be a hot day. I can put it on the back deck and it won't heat up the house like the oven would.

Thanks for your tips. :)