Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • trying to figure the pattern for the Babyville diapers >
  • trying to figure the pattern for the Babyville diapers

• trying to figure the pattern for the Babyville diapers

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
    Has anyone made these yet? I am trying to make the Babyville diaper covers,and having so much trouble with the pattern. I need help !
    My yoke piece doesn't look like the picture. I thought I'd give this a try, but, I must be crazy.
    I have made 1 diaper cover a 3 diapers with the soaker. I have done pretty good other then they are slow going. I put all the snaps on one which to a long time to do. I'm waiting until the baby is born in june to make more. Not knowing how big he will be I don't want to waste time making them too small. I took a class at Joann's when I made the diaper cover which I thought was kind of a waste of money. The instructor just read the directions to us at the class. I don't think she even looked at the book before hand. If you go to the youtube video and it should be very helpful.
    As to the questions about it being green my daughter plans to hang the diapers on the line not dry them in the dryer to save money. They live in a rural area and she hasn't been able to find a job that pays enough to even pay for daycare so they are cutting corners where they can. The cost of one package of disposable diapers is about the same as one fancy cloth diaper that you can use over and over. Not to mention what it does to the land fills so I guess I'd give it a try. I thought it would be fun to make the diapers but for the time it takes I would rather buy them but I bought all the PUL so I guess I will be making more. good luck.
    Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks! your way does seem easier. I'll have to find the microfiber, I suppose at JoAnn's.
    You can find the microfiber towels almost everywhere. They're perfect - just buy one and try it before you spend a lot on microfiber yardage.
    Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks! your way does seem easier. I'll have to find the microfiber, I suppose at JoAnn's.
    Actually, I get the microfiber towels that can be found in the automotive section at places like Wal-Mart, Dollar Store, etc., cut them into the size you need for the inside of the diaper. I also had several old flannel sheets that I used to make the "urine pad" for the inside of the diaper. I used three layers of the sheet fabric which I had cut into the size I needed to make the inside "urine pad". I sewed the three layers of flannel to the back of the diaper to anchor the pad, when the baby is wearing the diaper, the sewing doesn't show on the outside I hope that makes sense.

I have made about four dozen diapers so far, and have found that I don't mind making diapers. I used plastic snaps and bought the pliers to apply the snaps. I found some snaps online that were shapes like hearts, stars, etc. They added a little something extra to the diaper to help "dress it up".