Tupperware Woes...

Old 09-20-2024, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
The Corning ware and Corelle are collectible but not that valuable. The Pyrex with the capitol P is the most sought after dishware.
I hate to be the one to tell you. Corning ware is off the charts expensive in the harvest pattern. I have three casserole type ones that are worth in the neighborhood of $3,000.00. Why? I have no idea. Check out E Bay. I did not pay that, got them years ago.
I haven't checked on the Pyrex ones I have. I am thinking that they last and last. I have had these most of my housekeeping life and they hold up and look nice still. I have a few tupperware ones that I use rarely, but, when you need them, they are perfectly functional. Case in point, a covered serving tray and a large, covered bowl I use for pot lucks. I do have a fairly new one. A grey, hard plastic mixing bowl the has a cover and a counter hugging base. The only plastic bowls you should re-use are numbered on the bottom with a 5. The others don't re-use they are not safe.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I saw several casserole dishes of Harvest at Goodwill a few weeks ago. They were still there a few days ago. They were marked $10 each. I know most antique mall owners around here are in Goodwill everyday at opening. I see Corning ware in every flea market/antique store and they aren't selling for much in this area.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I went to grocery store and stopped at GW today to check on the corningware. The two dishes were still there. I bought both and got them marked down too. $8 each.

these are Spice of Life patterns and stamped.
Attached Thumbnails corning-ware.jpg  

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-20-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I have all the original Tupperware I got when I was first married the first time around 1965. Avocado Green and Harvest Gold. They work fine. I still use the canisters for flour, sugar, brown sugar. I have found the yellow strainers to add to my original one, and I have my original lettuce keeper and lucked upon a spare about 4 years ago in an estate sale, with the insert. I still have all my original corning ware from back then and have found a few pieces at the Goodwill and they still look good and serve their purpose. I am almost 81 and they will not be part of any "Swedish Death Cleaning", haha.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:47 PM

Wasn't there an issue with Corelle a few years back? The older ones had lead or something like that?

I do see some old Pyrex in antique and thrift stores from time to time. I drool over them but since I already have a fully stocked kitchen, they land in the "want but don't need" file.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:58 PM

I think you've identified Tupperware's problem... lasts for 50 years and keeps on tickin'.
I don't have any, I think it was always out of my price range.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:49 PM

my corning ware is just over fifty years old! still have the glass and plastic lids.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:59 AM

I have their meat marinator, red bottom and white top. 40 years and still BBQing! For food storage, we use the cheaper plastic containers from HEB. I don't mind sending those out the door with visitors! Definitely do not use in microwave. We also just use zip lock baggies for some. Easy to share with my brother, or toss if too old.
My CorningWare is the French white. Love it! But not collectable. Yet...
Old 09-21-2024, 04:06 AM

I love Pyrex, especially my mixing bowls. I have 2 complete sets of those. I have blue flower Corning Ware and just a couple of in the Harvest pattern. And I use them all.
Old 09-21-2024, 05:34 AM

I also have some of the tupperware stuff and I went to use one of the containers and wouldn't you know it, the vent lid was broke so I just tossed it as I have more of the same size lid thankfulls. Too bad after all these years.