Twitter

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM

I'm with Tartan, I don't do facebook, twitter or any other "social media" b.s., if I want to get in contact with one of my friends, relatives, etc., I'll call them up, email them or write a letter.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM

I really dislike that some TV shows are posting ON SCREEN Tweets and FB comments while the show is on!! I want to WATCH the show not read someones comments!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I really dislike that some TV shows are posting ON SCREEN Tweets and FB comments while the show is on!! I want to WATCH the show not read someones comments!!
Oh I SOOO agree with this!! Who cares what "John in Atlanta" thinks about the program ... let me see it for myself!!

I use FB quite often as the vast majority of both family and friends are hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I don't use Twitter and have no intention of using it.

Nor do I use LinkedIn.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM

I think FB and Twitter allow people to be vicious and unkind to others. Someone I know was complaining because someone else had blocked her. A whole torches and pitchforks lynch mob began to rally around her. IMHO she made a comment that was out of line insinuating that something done was not on the up and up without ever asking the person directly about the situation so she was blocked. If you are talking on the phone with someone you can hang up. If you are face to face you can walk away. FB allows people to keep ragging on someone forever and get all their friends to rag on them too. I see nothing wrong with blocking someone if it's the only way to stop them from continuing their arguement for the sake of arguing. Twitter is even more vile than FB-don't want anything to do with it.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm a news junkie, have been ever since 9/11. I follow news, sports, religion, and I do follow Twitter. I very seldom post on Twitter, but I actually like it better than Facebook. I look at both of these social media methods not as a fad, but the direction technology has taken the world. If you follow it, great. If you don't follow it, that's great too. The only problem I've ever had with anyone on Facebook was my own cousin who had anger management problems. We argued over Facebook, him attacking me, twice, and he blocked me twice. With my four grandchildren living in another state, Facebook is a way for me to share pictures of them with my friends/family in other states. My family is spread out among four different states.

I think it all has to do with who you follow. As I said, I use Twitter a lot for sports and news. Facebook I do get games, share pictures. I'm not worried about the privacy stuff because I don't post anything that I wouldn't want anyone else to read.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EllieGirl
I'm a news junkie, have been ever since 9/11. I follow news, sports, religion, and I do follow Twitter. I very seldom post on Twitter, but I actually like it better than Facebook. I look at both of these social media methods not as a fad, but the direction technology has taken the world. If you follow it, great. If you don't follow it, that's great too. The only problem I've ever had with anyone on Facebook was my own cousin who had anger management problems. We argued over Facebook, him attacking me, twice, and he blocked me twice. With my four grandchildren living in another state, Facebook is a way for me to share pictures of them with my friends/family in other states. My family is spread out among four different states.

I think it all has to do with who you follow. As I said, I use Twitter a lot for sports and news. Facebook I do get games, share pictures. I'm not worried about the privacy stuff because I don't post anything that I wouldn't want anyone else to read.
Well said! And neither Facebook nor twitter replace the personal communications I have with those close to me.

Also to a post above, our house was broken into when we were in town and I ran an errand. Can't blame twitter for that.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 AM

They say "Ignorance is Bliss". It is. I was told once that if I wanted to be somebody (not that I really did) I had to be on Facebook. Anybody who is anybody is on Facebook. OK. I tried it. Didn't understand it. Got it all screwed up. Hated it. About three years later, I tried it again, thinking that maybe hitting my middle 70's, I had acquired some larnin'!!!!! Au Contraire! Stupidity reigned in my home for a good two weeks. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hey I have the Quilting Board. Try to get out of Facebook. I cannot get it cancelled. I am getting stuff from people I never even heard of before from places that I haven't even heard of before. So, question is------How does one delete anything and everything that says Facebook on it. My granddaughter twits, faces, texts. I don't know beans about any of that stuff, don't particularly care to know about any of that stuff. I don't even use a cell phone unless I am driving out of town or something. No one is that important that I cannot wait until I get home and call or email. I know! I am a frumpy old lady, not wanting to know anything about an ipad, ipod, kindle, nook, smartphone or whatever else is new that a person can hold in their hand like they were going to die if it wasn't there. So back to my quandary----how do I get rid of Facebook???? Any help would really be appreciated. Edie
Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie
They say "Ignorance is Bliss". It is. I was told once that if I wanted to be somebody (not that I really did) I had to be on Facebook. Anybody who is anybody is on Facebook. OK. I tried it. Didn't understand it. Got it all screwed up. Hated it. About three years later, I tried it again, thinking that maybe hitting my middle 70's, I had acquired some larnin'!!!!! Au Contraire! Stupidity reigned in my home for a good two weeks. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hey I have the Quilting Board. Try to get out of Facebook. I cannot get it cancelled. I am getting stuff from people I never even heard of before from places that I haven't even heard of before. So, question is------How does one delete anything and everything that says Facebook on it. My granddaughter twits, faces, texts. I don't know beans about any of that stuff, don't particularly care to know about any of that stuff. I don't even use a cell phone unless I am driving out of town or something. No one is that important that I cannot wait until I get home and call or email. I know! I am a frumpy old lady, not wanting to know anything about an ipad, ipod, kindle, nook, smartphone or whatever else is new that a person can hold in their hand like they were going to die if it wasn't there. So back to my quandary----how do I get rid of Facebook???? Any help would really be appreciated. Edie
Are you able to use "google"? I just googled "how to delete Facebook account" and there are many links including at least one you tube video.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:06 AM

I had a Facebook account for about 15 minutes, really! I had received " group email" from a friend. His email was very disturbing and I was concerned he may be suicidal. I joined FB to contact him, he did call me and we talked for about 15 minutes and I felt better about his situation. I did tell him to call me weekly, just to make sure he was ok. Well by the time I got off the phone, I have 60 people wanting to "friend" me. People I went to school with, who never wanted to be my friend, were all over the "friend" bit. Sorry, if you would not friend me in real life, not going to happen in fake world. I have had the same number for the last 25 years, and my parents have lived in the same house and had the same telephone number for over 50 years. If someone wanted me that bad, they would have found me by now. Of course, my sister has to tell ALL the family business at least 10 times a day. I did demand she remove any pictures of me, my husband, our children and our hobbies/vacations...anything to do with me. She said it's her life too, so I should just deal with it.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I'm with Tartan, I don't do facebook, twitter or any other "social media" b.s., if I want to get in contact with one of my friends, relatives, etc., I'll call them up, email them or write a letter.
These are my thought too. I really "know" my friends as human beings not just names/pics.......
Someone I know takes pics of what she cooks for dinner, takes a pic, puts on her Facebook page for???? Recognition,praise,attention, who knows...... Way to much information!