Unusual Names

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM

My actual first name is Johanna. I've met very few others, although lots of Joanne's, Joanna's, etc.,.. I've always liked my name, even though people are always mispronouncing it. Now, I hardly notice when people mispronounce it. I was named after my grandfather's aunt who came from Holland. No one in our family met her, but I really like the idea of being named after someone.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

The reason I have my middle name posted is b/c it was my beloved Italian grandmother's name (Margarita) and sadly she died when I was only 3 months old. But I have a couple of her treasured needlework :)
I'm so glad I have her name! I know what you mean!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM

My name is Mary Ann. My ex is named Joe. So we named our daughter Jo Ann. Simple right? I am called Mary Jo, Mary Lou, Lou Ann, Mary Lynn, Jo Ann, and so on.

And the spelling is simple right? Mary and Ann.
Marianne, Marian, Mari Anne and so on.

Jo and Ann, Simple right? LOL Joanne, Joann Jo Anne, Joan and so on.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM

My first name is Darlaine - and I'm usually called Darlene. I have 4 sisters and their names are: Melva Rea, Shielda Gaye, Aurelia, and LoLeta. Not sure how Mother came up with these.

Darlaine
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

My mom's name is very unusual too. Orta Orlean. I'm so glad she didn't pick too unusual names for us kids. Clarence, Sharon, Edward, David and of course me, Suzanne. But we've got some doozies in our family tree, Tuenis, Cornelious, Minnie Arnettie, Matilda to name a few.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

My name is linda but my dads name was Orley Dorr Bell.Squeek goes the door
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Family friends have a darling little girl named Heaven and a son named Fabian.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

My mother's name is Carlyn (car-lin), and when she was young, the teacher always tried to get her to put in the o to make it Carolyn. She was tired of the hassle, so we are Cathie, Danny, Becky, Kelly, and Mike. I didn't want plain names but did want pronouncable ones, so have Wyatt, Rindy, Alex and Lanae. We have to spell our last name always, so easy first names help.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Oh Gosh, my (Devil) Nephew named his son Thor. Their last name is Lee. Poor child...I feel so bad for him. He is the cutest little guy, but come on....THOR LEE, kids will think he's got a lisp. We know how cruel kids CAN be.

My grandmother's first name was Olga. I love the name Olga.
I love how alot of the old names from early 1900's have re-surfaced. Like Emma Grace...so pretty.

My Dad's name was ....dont laugh....ok go ahead and laugh..James Orville Lee! LOL he would get so mad at us, cuz we would call him Orville Redenbacher.
My 2 yr old neice is name Emma Grace!! She was named after two of my Grandma's!! Love that name!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM

My daughter is Caitrin (Kay-trin--short i) and people are always messing it up. She said she's going to start saying everyone's name wrong--LOL. We have granddaughters named Oriana (Oh.ree.ah.nah) and her little sister, Talia (Tal.yuh). Great grandmother was Flora Evelena. She preferred to be called Lena. I have a niece named Hallie (Hal.lee) I have a cousin named Kami. Some of the cousins have combined middle names such as Jaime GlaNel--grandmothers Gladys and Nelda. I know her sisters have odd middle names also but I can only remember hers right now.