Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,, >
  • Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,,

• Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,,

Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM

You were so lucky that the reactions to the stings were not more severe. I work amongst the bees very often and have never been stung. However, Australian native bees are not as aggressive as the European kind. They will sting, but I have had them resting on me and they quite happily crawl around me whilst I cut the lavender.I was quite amazed to see the size of a bumble bee whilst I was living in England. Hope all goes well with the rest of the remove.
    Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Earlier this year we had to have someone out to "exterminate" a hive from our chimney. I kept noticing a few bees in the house and thought someone left the door open. But I kept seeing more and more. And believe me, bees and I do not get along!!! I will move out and let them have my home.....I really dislike them that much. Anyway I was sitting in my car in my driveway on my cell phone and happened to look up at my chimney and saw swarms of bees hovering around it. We called a bee man who specialized in "live" removal. He had to take apart a good section of our chimney to get most of the hive and bees out. He had to rebuild it and put a special screen in so that the bees out foraging at that time could not get back in. We stopped counting at over 200 bees that managed to get into our home......yikes!! I hope you all recover from your bee stings. I keep hearing bee shortages but don't see that around our area.
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

Glad to hear that everyone is recovering, those stings can be very painful. I was stung once, and that really hurt, I can't imagine the pain he was in. I didn't know the little critters could build a hive that fast, but they are industrious. We need to pay attention to our four-legged friends, as they are usually pretty smart. I was at a neighbor's house and both her cats came running into the house and 5 minutes later we had a huge hail storm.
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Digging deep for a good thing about bee stings...
    We were on vacation in Quebec and stopped at a winery that specialized in honey wines. There was a very large glass window between the show room and the wine making room.

The sales lady told us that since she had started to work there she had been bitten numerous time with the wonderful benefit of having her arthritis pain reduced.

Have to take her word for it cause there is no way I'll try it personally.
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM

Iam allergic to any type of bee, wasps,etc. right now, as dumb as it may seem, I am recovering from those little red fire ants. I was driving the other day, and somehow one or two of those little pests got up my jean leg and I thought I had killed it becuase they hurt when they bite, but obviously killed them too late. My one leg is covered in huge red welts with blisters and the other leg is marked up only 2 places, but they definitely do hurt. Bleach helps, but also I got some lanacaine type spray at store today and that is also helping. The summer is beautiful, but when all those nasty insects come out, I try to stay in. so glad to hear your husband and dog are okay.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Glad everyone is doing o.k.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM

I sure hope they aren't those African killer bees. Honey bes aren't usually that aggressive. A few people got stung in Texas last year & died from it. (elderly). They are very aggressive. I try not to bother honey bees as we need them for our food sources but I hate wasps with a passion. Got stung a month ago & it itched & hurt off & on for 3 weeks. Also beware of those small guiene wasp they hurt something awful. Benadryl cream works really well , so does tobacco. Hope everyone is ok soon.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM

We had a hive of Africanized bees in our back yard, tucked into our cypress trees. We would see the swarm but they always seemed to head over the wall into the ditch behind our house so we figured their hive was there. We were having our trees trimmed and one of the workers said they had to stop because they found the hive. A beekeeper came out and retrieved it, over 30 lbs., 9 layers of honeycomb. We had to cut the branch down the hive was "hooked" to and destroy it because the queen leaves behind her scent and new bees will build on the old spot if they smell her.

We also had Africanized bees build a nest under our shed, took the exterminator forever to clear that out.

Fortunately none of our animals ever got stung, or us either for that matter.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 AM

If you don't mind telling...just what is the price tag for such an extensive bee hive removal? I am just curious. :)
    Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM

we had a similar incident back when my son was about 6 yrs old. we had a dog house built from old fence pieces. the frame was 4x4 posts. wasps had built a nest under the dog house. like your cat, the dog had suddenly stopped sleeping in her house. we did not know why.

my son was on top of the dog house looking over the fence when the wasps swarmed all over him. actually had to remove his shirt to get them off. it was totally covered with wasps. they got into our hair, even inside my bra. probably the scariest thing i have had to deal with.

glad your hubby and dog are doing fine.