US mail grrrrrrrrrr

Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM

That happens around here all the time to. The other day I was getting ready to pull out of the driveway when a man approaced and hollard out. Thought he had been given our mail and he lives on a totally different block. Actually it was the neighbor across the street who's mail he had.
Quite often our mail is delivered to the apartment with the same address one block over from us.

I just get a thrill out of watching the tracking on a package. I've watched tracking go from place of orgin, to CA, to Salem or Portland and then back to us. To get to Salem or Portland they have to drive right by our area. I get they have sorting centers but it's funny when even fedex is being deliverd by USPS. Is it any wonder they are going broke.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

There are a lot of horror stories about the post office right now. I need to ship a quilt to my brother in Georgia from Washington state. Checked with USPS and found out it will cost about $44 priority mail with insurance and yet UPS will do the same for $23 ground shipment. Never had a problem with UPS because their tracking is so great.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I had ordered some things from Amazon and they were due today according to the email I got. I looked up the tracking number and it says out for delivery.
Now, postman has been here and gone - no package! Where is it? Was he not paying attention and delivered it elsewhere again(yes this has happened before)
According to the USPS site, you can call up to 8:30 pm, I doubt that they are still out delivering then though.
It has a delivery confirmation when it is delivered.
My PO used to leave a note when a big package came that they could not leave in the mail box. I don't know if it's just my carrier or all, but they no longer do that. I have to call the post office if I'm expecting a package.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I remember a few years back mailing a rather large box up north to my daughter. I mailed it regular parcel post ($25) because 2 day was $50. I waited over a week and she never got it. I called the PO and they didn't know where it was and it should be there in a few days.I went to the PO a few times also. It took over a month to get there and never even left the PO until a few days before getting there. It was a LARGE box, I don't know how anyone could have missed it. My brother in law works at the PO it had to go thru, so he was watching for it. It arrived in rough shape.I was really aggravated
Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Why is everyone so quick to complain? Look at all the postives in mailing with the P.O. What in the world would it cost you to have your mail delivered privately? How about you driving all over town to pay bills? RELAX is right, why be so uptight? Try putting a postive spin on life instead....life would be so much easier.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
Expect A LOT more of this as they shut down postal service. If they charged a regular rate for all that junk that goes through the system, they wouldn't be going broke.................
I agree, if they charged the same rate as everyone pays to send all that junk mail you would see the volume plummet. On Tuesdays around here I don't even bother to check the mail unless i'm expecting something that I ordered. All that is there are ads and mailers.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM

as many packages as I have mailed over the years (probably THousands!!) I have had few if any get really lost - one got mangled. A few took their time.
All in all they do a pretty good job. I like my carrier as well, he is a private contractor, not a USPS employee. And the ladies at my local small PO are very nice too.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by daisydebby
Why is everyone so quick to complain? Look at all the postives in mailing with the P.O. What in the world would it cost you to have your mail delivered privately? How about you driving all over town to pay bills? RELAX is right, why be so uptight? Try putting a postive spin on life instead....life would be so much easier.
Why? Because when I order an item from someplace and I pay my good money for it, I expect it to be delivered, not to sit in some storage area and never be delivered.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Lots of times the mailman brings only letters the first go round. He then drives his truck to deliver the packages. Think about it. Where would he put the boxes while walking his route? Don't give up - the day is still young.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 AM

It could be he just missed it in all his other mail in the back of the truck.. You just wouldn't believe the pressure they put on the mail carrier.