US mail grrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Overall, I think USPS is probably as well or better run than a lot of governmental or quasi-governmental agencies.

At least, most of us get SOMETHING for our dollars with the USPS.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
There are a lot of horror stories about the post office right now. I need to ship a quilt to my brother in Georgia from Washington state. Checked with USPS and found out it will cost about $44 priority mail with insurance and yet UPS will do the same for $23 ground shipment. Never had a problem with UPS because their tracking is so great.
Good luck collecting any money from UPS for an insurance claim. Seriously, they always fault the sellers packaging, etc. On the other hand, the post office is great about paying when a package is lost or items are damaged.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Lots of times the mailman brings only letters the first go round. He then drives his truck to deliver the packages. Think about it. Where would he put the boxes while walking his route? Don't give up - the day is still young.
I live on what amounts to a rural route. No double trips. Once upon a time if a large package arrived, I'd get a notice to pick it up at the PO. Now I have to call. I've waited days and days already.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by daisydebby
Why is everyone so quick to complain? Look at all the postives in mailing with the P.O. What in the world would it cost you to have your mail delivered privately? How about you driving all over town to pay bills? RELAX is right, why be so uptight? Try putting a postive spin on life instead....life would be so much easier.
Why? Because when I order an item from someplace and I pay my good money for it, I expect it to be delivered, not to sit in some storage area and never be delivered.
Wow, you are saying NEVER. That is not the case here, it arrived on time, just not when you wanted it. Just take a big breathe.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
There are a lot of horror stories about the post office right now. I need to ship a quilt to my brother in Georgia from Washington state. Checked with USPS and found out it will cost about $44 priority mail with insurance and yet UPS will do the same for $23 ground shipment. Never had a problem with UPS because their tracking is so great.
Good luck collecting any money from UPS for an insurance claim. Seriously, they always fault the sellers packaging, etc. On the other hand, the post office is great about paying when a package is lost or items are damaged.
Well, when I went to UPS yesterday and mailed the package, it turned out to cost $38; I asked why so much. I did not figure in a bunch of other costs....was not on the website.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by daisydebby
Why is everyone so quick to complain? Look at all the postives in mailing with the P.O. What in the world would it cost you to have your mail delivered privately? How about you driving all over town to pay bills? RELAX is right, why be so uptight? Try putting a postive spin on life instead....life would be so much easier.
Why? Because when I order an item from someplace and I pay my good money for it, I expect it to be delivered, not to sit in some storage area and never be delivered.
Wow, you are saying NEVER. That is not the case here, it arrived on time, just not when you wanted it. Just take a big breathe.

The last three items I tracked down were in the 'return to sender' pile. THEY WERE NOT GOING TO BE DELIVERED. Each well over $50
Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The last three items I tracked down were in the 'return to sender' pile. THEY WERE NOT GOING TO BE DELIVERED. Each well over $50
Did you ask the Post Office why these packages were going to be returned to sender? They should have some sort of reason.

We occasionally get packages returned, and 90% of the time there really is a reason. Most commonly it is that there was an apartment number left off. A couple of times it was that there was "no mail receptacle" which I think meant that the customer didn't have a mailbox (perhaps it got knocked down or was too damaged to use).

The remaining 10% of the time, we call the destination Post Office to find out why the package was not delivered. We have occasionally had customers not come to pick up their packages from their Post Office. And a few times the packages got returned for no reason. Still, talking with the destination Post Office allowed us to confirm that the address was indeed valid; in which case we just sent the packages again and they were delivered successfully the second time.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

okay I wasn't going to say anything on this one, but after reading all the posts I have to !!LOL

USPS is not a government entity-it is privately held-meaning you are getting your mail delivered privately and we are paying for it everytime we buy a stamp or send something out. But with the invention of the internet, people are not using the USPS as much, OOPS and they forgot to cut costs a long time ago.

There is now the ability to call up the grands or family and chat over the internet and see each other. The email now sends wishes, greivance and many other items over the net.

Now they are figuring out the internet wasn't the fluke they thought it would be to the american public (we want satifaction now and the net gives us that). There is also other means of getting things to people (UPS, FEdEx and others).

So up goes the cost of postage and sending things out, along with the cutting of personnel at the offices and their main distribution center, things get lost-that is why I track anything I send out via USPS, UPS or any other.

complain ? YES by all means let the post master or postmistress know you are unhappy with your service.
and lastly NO I don't work for the post office.
<okay off my soap box !LOL> This was all stated in my own humble opinion. NO dog or other human influenced my fingers to type this !LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Did you ask the Post Office why these packages were going to be returned to sender? They should have some sort of reason.

We occasionally get packages returned, and 90% of the time there really is a reason. Most commonly it is that there was an apartment number left off. A couple of times it was that there was "no mail receptacle" which I think meant that the customer didn't have a mailbox (perhaps it got knocked down or was too damaged to use).

The remaining 10% of the time, we call the destination Post Office to find out why the package was not delivered. We have occasionally had customers not come to pick up their packages from their Post Office. And a few times the packages got returned for no reason. Still, talking with the destination Post Office allowed us to confirm that the address was indeed valid; in which case we just sent the packages again and they were delivered successfully the second time.
Their reason is that they attempted delivery. I have no proof they tried. They have no proof they tried.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Their reason is that they attempted delivery. I have no proof they tried. They have no proof they tried.
That doesn't quite tell you enough, does it? What does it mean? I suppose if the package required a signature and nobody was home, and the recipient never came to pick it up at the Post Office, that would be a valid "attempted delivery", and after a time it would go back. Did they tell you anything else?