Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • USA--what are you doing for the 4th of July? >
  • USA--what are you doing for the 4th of July?

• USA--what are you doing for the 4th of July?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Hi...This is Vickey Stamps. I haven't been in this area for A LONG TIME. I want to share something I wrote for todya (Wrote it the 2nd of this month) Hope you like it.

WE CAN DO THIS…SON!
    © Vickey Stamps
    7/2/10
    A hand reached down to help the old man up. A voice, soft, spoke to the man. “We can do this…Son. Together we can do this!” The old soldier’s hat was sometimes tri-cornered. Other times it became a helmet. The landscape continually changed around the two of them. He had started out on the trip much younger, vigorous and with hope in his heart. Family and farm had been left far behind numerous long years ago... What had been months of battle had become so much more than that. Now the dusty robes belonging to the hand became that of the Christ, who slipped down to sit and rest beside him for awhile.
    The patriot had started out, musket in hand. At a different point in history, he’d retrieved the ragged old red, white, and blue flag, from a fallen comrade. He carried it in a special place on his side, opposite that of the one holding the musket. The flag was precious. It could not hit the ground.
    Sometimes the old flag had only thirteen stars upon it, and the white looked almost grey from the trauma of all that had gone before, in all the great efforts to sustain its cause. Sometimes the red appeared more a darkened pink, and the flags edges became frayed and were raveling. On it waved. In the blink of the eye, the flag held fifty stars and proudly waved its stripes in vivid displays to encourage those who saw it.
    The soldier’s feet hurt, for the soles of the shoes had worn down to nothing more then a thin thing binding the shoe together. There had been so many rugged roads of time on which he had walked. Newspapers were stuffed inside in keep the coolness of the earth from his feet. He didn’t know how much longer he could go on without better clothing, for his own were tattered and torn. He became so weak from the travels that he would stagger and fall, but always, he kept a firm grip on both flag and musket, always he watched closely for the enemy that sought to take the freedom which he treasured. Sometimes his friend, the Christ, with such love in his eyes, helped him up and they would walk through another period of time. Other times like today, he became too tired and the Lord would sit down with him and they would visit for awhile.
    They’d always traveled together, this aging ageless pair. There causes were the same in many ways. Where he battled for a life without the evils of tyranny, so fought the Lord. Where he wanted mankind to always know of faith, hope and charity, so had his friend, the great Creator. He wanted freedom from evil for eternity, and so did the Master. So they sat and talked with one another there on the dusty road of life. “I don’t know how I’d have managed without you” the old soldier spoke. “We have been together for such a long time. You’ve been my strength, and my hope. You’ve given me courage when I lost my own. You are everything. Just let me rest a few moments more, and we will travel on. Do you never tire of caring for me and your other children? I think not! I’m going to close my eyes now. I’ll hang onto my old musket, Lord, but could you take the flag for awhile. In you we trust. In God we trust. God Bless American. Let freedom ring”
    Life was good!
    HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY. MAY GOD BE WITH THOSE WHO FIGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM! Feel free to PM me on this. [email protected]
    Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Today we are just relaxing. Everyone but me is napping. Even the dogs. I picked my DD up this morning from the ATL airport and the USO was there applauding the military and shaking their hands as they came off their flights. I spoke to one of the gentleman for a bit. I thought everyone should be applauding. Said so to my DGD and she looked at me and said so why aren't you so I did. People looked at me funny but that's fine.
    It's been a rough week for us so chilling is all I am going to do besides adopting out one of my fosters. She is getting her first plane ride to her new home in NY.
    And later I am sure I will have at least 4 dogs in my lap if they can all find a space. Fireworks are not a favorite around here. I need a much bigger lap.
    Have fun with your families . I miss my July 4th from when I was a kid. Small town parade, food and beer/soda at the firehouse. Fireworks over the Toms River. We got to see 3 or 4 towns depending on where we sat. Beachwood, Seaside Park, Pine Beach, Bayville and or/Toms River.
    Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Just hanging out in the A/C, reading, sewing and looking on the board. Too hot to go outside, at least for me. I don't like the heat.
    Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Crying today. Had to watch our Marine son head out the drive to head back to Pensacola NAS. Catching a flight in Columbus, Oh tomorrow. It's always wonderful to see him, but hurts so much to see him leave again.
    Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AliceQ
    Crying today. Had to watch our Marine son head out the drive to head back to Pensacola NAS. Catching a flight in Columbus, Oh tomorrow. It's always wonderful to see him, but hurts so much to see him leave again.
    (((( hugs))))
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I will be holding my dog's hand trying to calm her from all the firecrackers that will be popping in our neighborhood.
    This info is probably too late but my vet told me years ago to give my beloved dog "Roofie" dramamine. Your vet will tell you what dose to give, it depends on weight, etc. It sure saved my pet from suffering every 4th and during storms. Dramamine is for seasickness. Or nausea from other causes. It has a very calming effect.
    Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
    Banned

went to my sisters for barbque. God bless. Penny