Useless Trip!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

I went to a yard sale last weekend - advertised quilting fabrics. They did have a lot of fabrics, but she wanted LQS prices. I'll pay the $2.75 for a FQ occasionally at the quilt shop, but not at a yard sale where you can't be sure of the age or content of the fabric. Bummer.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM

I stopped at a new "general store" the man calls it - and it is all things people wanted to get rid of - I came onto a few pieces of 100% cottons, and then the lady showed me a blouse - it was beautiful blues, pinks, purples floral and stripe and had rose shank buttons on it - I bought it - the buttons were worth more than the blouse -but will tear it down and use it for fabric in a quilt, I'm sure... but it struck my eye too as a quilt piece vs a blouse. :)
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM

I think it is a matter of just being in the right place at the right time. I seem to have the best luck at Goodwill and the ARC Thrift Stores. I try to stop in every week or so--Tues is Sr. day so I like to go then when I can get a discount. I leave empty handed more than I do with bags, but sometimes I really hit hit big--Our Goodwill also carries 'NEW' goods. The last time I went I got 6 heavy flannel shirts (xxl), a full size set of flannels sheets--still in the pkg. and a new Zebra print throw for my Grand-daughter who lives with us and paid $22. We're re-doing hher room in zebra print and purples, so she was more excited about her find than mine.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Pretty much the same for me...waiting for the BIG HAUL!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Last Sunday we drove to a flea market and there was fabric in two or three booths. I was able to get 1 yard pieces for 99 cents and 3 yard pieces for $2.00. It was really good fabric and I felt like doing a happy dance.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Fabric comes in the form of sheets and clothes as well
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Don't forget to look at tablecloths. Some pretty nice 100% cotton or real linen might be there. I used thrift store tablecloth when making embroidered bread basket liners---embellished muslin towels and sewed to squares of the tablecloth cotton.

Found some yard goods yesterday in my favorite church-run thrift store. Old because some of it still had G.C. Murphy Co. and Hills price tags. Plowed thru the box--some was really nice, some was 5&10 cent store quality and some thin and cheesy. I was able to find an armload and was charged $3. It's been a year since I found any fabric in that store. Be persistent.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM

I look under "garage sales" in Craig's List and go on (name of your city)garagesales.com. If there is anything on there that indicates they have fabric, craft items or anything else that I want, I go. I will often go to those labeled "estate sales" also.
I know there are garage sales that do not advertise and there may be fabric at some of them but I don't go to as many sales as I used to. My best find, I think, as far as quilting goes is my Accuquilt Go for $75.
I have also found quilting quality fabric at Goodwill a a few times. I haven't found any at the Salvation Army Store.
As in any catagory, at a resale shop, you take what is there when you find it. Otherwise, keep looking.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM

I guess I am not in the right spot at the right time.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM

I've discovered that you need to ask at garage sales and especially at estate sales. If the seller isn't into fabric, they may think no one would be interested in it either. At one estate sale, I asked if they had fabric. She told me, "Oh, there's some out in the back shed, I'll show you," So we walked back to the shed and there on the floor were about 8 boxes of assorted fabric. I got four of them and they then took the others back to the house. It was clean fabric, so it hadn't been out there too long, but they just didn't see the value. So keep looking, you'll get lucky one of these days and it will be soooo fine.