USPS - Going Broke...

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I also hope they figure out this economic mess. I'd hate to have such a traditional service fall by the way.
I'm sure technology has hit the USPS hard with email and electronic bill paying. I personally can't remember the last time I bought stamps. I do, however, use the service for my QB sales.
'Just a thought though: originally the mail was delivered on horse back and the motto was, and is: Neither rain, sleet, snow nor dark of night will keep the postman from his appointed rounds. My street didn't have mail delivery for a whole week during the recent snow storm!
Wouldn't want to find a frozen mail carrier in the yard, or smashed into a tree due to ice and snow. :)
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM

I can honestly say that the Postal Service takes many hits when postage is raised or mailing of pkgs increase. But if you consider how much others charge for the same service or overseas charges.. we are quite modest in our fees. With everything going up around the postal service, they in turn have to raise prices and cut back on other services, we owe the Postal Service respect for all the years we have been priviledged to have home delivery in rain, sleet and snow! (if at all possible). The electronic world has infringed on the Post Office, but if you consider as well, our use of the internet services, we cannot but blame ourselves for increases. I certainly hope that this service will not be taken away from us or jobs lost in the future because of so called progress.

That said.... Let's Quilt! :)
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
there at two different gentlemen who carry mail to my street.

they are both very nice, very courteous and helpful, and they both work their butts off.

i can send a letter from here to any state or US territory for less than 50 cents. a nice fat flat rate for less than $5.

i sure hope they figure out how to stay in business.
You do know how to add perspective, Patrice. Yes, they provide a good service at reasonable prices, and we of course want people to keep their jobs.

However, technology should have made sorting and moving the mail much more cost effective. To say they can't make ends meet because there's no longer as much mail... costs should have gone down with all the technological savings.

I don't have a good answer, but us paying twice as much to cover the fact that they only have half as much mail doesn't sit well with me. They need to adjust to the current demand, and if that means downsizing, or cutting pay or whatever, then that's what it means, however sad. IMO they ought to raise rates for the junk mail we all get so much of...
Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM

The problem is that as people have turned to the computer to pay their bills and use for normal day to day activity, the postal service had kept the same level of employee staffing and not downsized as the usage decreased. The USPS was warned about this 10 years ago, so they contracted some of their services to outside entities which compounded the problem. They have offered buyouts but not many are taking them. Since 1986, they receive no funding from our income taxes and those employees hired after that now pay into Social Security. When this occurs in the private sector, people are layoffed or terminated. It seems when things happen on the public sector, no one is strong enough to do what is needed.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
there at two different gentlemen who carry mail to my street.

they are both very nice, very courteous and helpful, and they both work their butts off.

i can send a letter from here to any state or US territory for less than 50 cents. a nice fat flat rate for less than $5.

i sure hope they figure out how to stay in business.
You do know how to add perspective, Patrice. Yes, they provide a good service at reasonable prices, and we of course want people to keep their jobs.

However, technology should have made sorting and moving the mail much more cost effective. To say they can't make ends meet because there's no longer as much mail... costs should have gone down with all the technological savings.

I don't have a good answer, but us paying twice as much to cover the fact that they only have half as much mail doesn't sit well with me. They need to adjust to the current demand, and if that means downsizing, or cutting pay or whatever, then that's what it means, however sad. IMO they ought to raise rates for the junk mail we all get so much of...
Good point in some aspects except technology, also has a costs involved. Changes at a fast pace. and can kill if it all goes down due to power, or breakdowns etc.
Reminds me of the situation of calling a Customer service line and speaking to someone in a different country, (no problem with people from other countrys) but really, can't call 20 miles away without toll charges but can call another country free.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Here grand jury ask why are County agencies using private carrier for a piece of paper, agency to agency.
Would be curious how many things are sent this way, or how much could be saved by using P.O.JMO
Agencies have been using "interoffice mail" for a long time. Here in New York, with state office buildings and regional offices scattered statewide, it has always been cheaper and faster to send something with interoffice mail. Everything goes in one bag/box/container and is sent in the same state-owned truck, to arrive much faster and cheaper than USPS could ever provide.

I use USPS exclusively for shipping QB items or eBay items, because they are still cheaper than UPS or FedEx. I think the problem lies in the bill paying and correspondence. Since the onset of computers, it is much easier and cheaper to pay bills online and to email or send cards electronically. I don't buy blank checks that often, and very seldom buy postage stamps.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM

It would help if they quit spending so much on unnecessary advertising and sponsoring thing like bicycle races in France.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I can understand the problem. I pay all of my bills online and send emails rather than letters, so I guess I am part of the problem. This is why they are talking about dropping Saturday sevice too.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I also hope they figure out this economic mess. I'd hate to have such a traditional service fall by the way.
I'm sure technology has hit the USPS hard with email and electronic bill paying. I personally can't remember the last time I bought stamps. I do, however, use the service for my QB sales.
'Just a thought though: originally the mail was delivered on horse back and the motto was, and is: Neither rain, sleet, snow nor dark of night will keep the postman from his appointed rounds. My street didn't have mail delivery for a whole week during the recent snow storm!
Wow! My husband is a carrier and has never gotten a day off for snow. Even a couple of years ago when we got two feet in 24 hours he was at work during and after! Everybody else on my block was off for two days.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

The people who work in the P.O. here, and the mail carriers are great. They aren't the reason for the problems.