USPS - Going Broke...

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM

I hate to read this! Sad. I love the folks at our PO and our mail carrier does a great job. We do pay most of our bills online but I do use the PO a lot and buy products from them. I would not mind if they did away with Saturday delivery or even went to 4 days per week. That would save a lot! When push comes to shove, there is usually a way to cut expenses in most businesses.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Here grand jury ask why are County agencies using private carrier for a piece of paper, agency to agency.
Would be curious how many things are sent this way, or how much could be saved by using P.O.JMO
Agencies have been using "interoffice mail" for a long time. Here in New York, with state office buildings and regional offices scattered statewide, it has always been cheaper and faster to send something with interoffice mail. Everything goes in one bag/box/container and is sent in the same state-owned truck, to arrive much faster and cheaper than USPS could ever provide.

I use USPS exclusively for shipping QB items or eBay items, because they are still cheaper than UPS or FedEx. I think the problem lies in the bill paying and correspondence. Since the onset of computers, it is much easier and cheaper to pay bills online and to email or send cards electronically. I don't buy blank checks that often, and very seldom buy postage stamps.
I could see going that route, not major carrier they may give some discount can't possibly be as reasonibly priced as USPS
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 PM

No Sat delivery, and thats OK Window open 9-1/2-330 doors to rec mail 7-6:30 you just learn to adjust.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
No Sat delivery, and thats OK Window open 9-1/2-330 doors to rec mail 7-6:30 you just learn to adjust.
I could deal with this too. Some days all we get are a few pieces of junk mail. I love getting mail, but 4 days a week would be enough. Our PO workers and our carrier are great too.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 AM

Way I heard it, several yrs ago, was this..upper mgmt. have salaries and benny's of unbelievable magnitude. One was bought a hugely expensive house in one area and then was transferred to another area where they needed to buy him another mansion. The area of th first house was on a downward spiral, so that house couldn't even be sold for what was owed on it and here they have to buy another one because of his transfer. These types of things are what ruined our economy from the top down.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Does anyone know what the CEO's income is?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 AM

My carrier didn't bring the mail here this winter for a couple of days..

I sent several items out by the local small PO on 1/6 and one person still hasn't received it.

My sister worked for the PO for many yrs, retired from there... I used to wish to have the benefits and pay she received..never got anything near it as a nurse..she had no "college" or education above GED ..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 AM

They just closed our regional office in Colby (30 minutes away) and now our mail all goes to Wichita (5 hours away) and back. Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 AM

My postman in GA was wonderful. The one here is a little lackadasical.
I am glad that its cheap to mail a letter or bill I still do that once in awhile. But shipping packages mmmmm.. Maybe cheaper but I have gotten some that the tire tracks could still be seen on the package. No kidding. And to have things just disappear? Have tracking and pay extra for it and be told that they don't have to scan? So they don't know where my package is. Have things delivered to the wrong address marked as delivered and be out the money cause I can't prove I didn't recieve it? Yes there are problems. But all in all I guess its cheaper than UPS.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM

I heard awhile ago that they were going to close the post offices and discontinue mail delivery on Saturdays in order to save money. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me, I can go without getting bills on Saturdays for awhile!