USPS - Going Broke...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM

From what I understand from a sister who works for PO, the USPS is top heavy with management who draw huge salaries and because of union and/or government regs they won't let them cut wages or lay off a lot of these top management people. That being said, let's just say that the regular carriers don't get shabby pay either and they don't work 8 hours per day. The benefits are top notch, too, with great insurance coverage, comp days and sick days that you don't find offered in private sector jobs.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I also hope they figure out this economic mess. I'd hate to have such a traditional service fall by the way.
I'm sure technology has hit the USPS hard with email and electronic bill paying. I personally can't remember the last time I bought stamps. I do, however, use the service for my QB sales.
'Just a thought though: originally the mail was delivered on horse back and the motto was, and is: Neither rain, sleet, snow nor dark of night will keep the postman from his appointed rounds. My street didn't have mail delivery for a whole week during the recent snow storm!
Back when mail was delivered on horse back you were so glad to get mail that you wouldn't think about sueing the mailman. Now a days if the grass is run over or the box gets a dent, some people are on the phone screaming and threating to sue. Also things are so hard that if we get hurt we are written up and our jobs are in jepardy.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM

I realize with online bill payment people aren't sending as many letters. However with ebay, and all other kinds of online shopping, there are many more PACKAGES being sent through the mails than ever before.
So they do have potential profit there.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM

talking about our insurance mine just went up 150$ a pay check, not a month and I have not had a raise in two years, and won't be getting one in the near future as we have no contract. I know everyone is having it hard but I have worked for the USPSfor twenty years and this is no way to treat it employees
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Until the postal service starts charging first class rates on Junk Mail they will never make a profit or break even. I collect my mail from the mail box and stop at the garbage can to drop off all the junk mail and flyers which was mailed for less than half what I have to sent a letter. Consequently, I mail all my bills that are possible thru ETF and I receive all possible thru the internet. If I really want to send something out that I need tracking or a signature, I send it Fedex or UPS. Sending something by ground is not that much difference than USPS except you know where it is and when it got there. Try tracing anything through the postoffice....once in the box it's lost until it shows up somewhere sometime...That is certified, registered or insured.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM

If you read it carefully, it says they actually made a good profit, but that it was decimated by the cost of funding future retiree's benefits and health care costs.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nona
Until the postal service starts charging first class rates on Junk Mail they will never make a profit or break even. I collect my mail from the mail box and stop at the garbage can to drop off all the junk mail and flyers which was mailed for less than half what I have to sent a letter. Consequently, I mail all my bills that are possible thru ETF and I receive all possible thru the internet. If I really want to send something out that I need tracking or a signature, I send it Fedex or UPS. Sending something by ground is not that much difference than USPS except you know where it is and when it got there. Try tracing anything through the postoffice....once in the box it's lost until it shows up somewhere sometime...That is certified, registered or insured.
That's not true. If you mail something priority mail you can get tracking. Then go on the USPS Tracking and ask to be emailed with all tracking info. I do this all the time with my quilts. I can mail stuff cheaper than with UPS and it frequently gets there faster than it would have with UPS.

I got a package with tracking and forwarded it to my daughter. I didn't have to pay extra to forward since it hadn't been opened. The tracking also still was available. There was a problem with the USPS Center in TX near my daughter's home and they sent it back to Vegas near my home. I emailed them and asked what part of "forward" did they not understand. They pulled the package in Vegas and sent it back to TX. My daughter got it two days later.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
From what I understand from a sister who works for PO, the USPS is top heavy with management who draw huge salaries and because of union and/or government regs they won't let them cut wages or lay off a lot of these top management people. That being said, let's just say that the regular carriers don't get shabby pay either and they don't work 8 hours per day. The benefits are top notch, too, with great insurance coverage, comp days and sick days that you don't find offered in private sector jobs.
In regards to : That being said, let's just say that the regular carriers don't get shabby pay either and they don't work 8 hours per day. The benefits are top notch, too, with great insurance coverage, comp days and sick days that you don't find offered in private sector jobs

The post office , being a private sector under the Goverment, has changed over the years. The Retirement plan is not CSA now but 401K and SS benefits are also taken out of their salary. Benefits such as vacation and sick leave is earned as anywhere else. To my knowledge they do not have comp days and their work day IS 8 hrs... sometimes longer if the weather is bad. Health benefits are good yes, could be even better for the share paid into it. There is no eye care or dental included unless you take out special insurance. It may be said that the upper management take larger salaries than needed, but I cannot say many in upper management anywhere don't do the same. Perks for being there is my guess. To fix this, One would have to start from the very top of the chain and weed out excesses.. and that would start at the White House. And the private sector as well.

I do hope that the Postal Service will survive and mail delivery continue. It's part of our history. Heaven help us all if a major Computer glitch came about!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

There was an item on the news awhile back about much money was spent to purchase huge, fancy houses, above market value by the post office. I have a hard time having sympathy, no one bought me a house when I worked.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 AM

They should charge more for JUNK MAIL.