USPS - Going Broke...

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
I have said for yrs that the PO needs to stop paying millions for ads on tv because who doesn't know the PO exists once they get to be about in the 2nd grade? Also, they should just print generic "forever" stamps & do away with all the others that have to be very costly to print. I have a friend whose son is a semi truck driver. His co was paid $80,000 to deliver stamps that had outdated prices on them from MO to NY so that they could be destroyed! Wow, that just made my blood boil when she told me about that. Talk about a waste of money! Why couldn't the person at the PO just sell stamps with a smaller demonination to make up the difference? Or better yet, do what I suggested above & only sell generic "forever" stamps.
I agree, it is called government waste!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
mel

i dont know if anyone heard this but they say if you get junk mail, credit offers, etc take the enclosed envelopes and mail them back to whom ever sent it, That way the companies have to pay the postage and they will probably stop sending you the junk. Could be a win win situation
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

IMHO the USPS is a great deal...I find the service dependable and way not overpriced..what do we want 1950's prices in 2011. Nothing else we buy has increased in price so little over so many years. I think that Congress should have let them raise 1st class rates to .50 at the last raise. These silly 1 and 2 cent raises are crazy talk. two years ago I paid $1.00 for a gallon of milk...today, $2.39...now that is a price increase! (And I do not want all of you who are dairy farmers to tell me you are not getting that raise...I KNOW THAT.) You know, I hear that people do not have any money...just drive around at night and see the HUGE flat screen TV sets in people's homes...our priorities are way out of whack...just sayin...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM

You paid $1 for a gallon of milk 2 years ago, and now you pay $2.39????????? Funny, ours is almost $4.00 a gallon.

Originally Posted by kathidahl
IMHO the USPS is a great deal...I find the service dependable and way not overpriced..what do we want 1950's prices in 2011. Nothing else we buy has increased in price so little over so many years. I think that Congress should have let them raise 1st class rates to .50 at the last raise. These silly 1 and 2 cent raises are crazy talk. two years ago I paid $1.00 for a gallon of milk...today, $2.39whack...just sayin...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
You paid $1 for a gallon of milk 2 years ago, and now you pay $2.39????????? Funny, ours is almost $4.00 a gallon.

Originally Posted by kathidahl
IMHO the USPS is a great deal...I find the service dependable and way not overpriced..what do we want 1950's prices in 2011. Nothing else we buy has increased in price so little over so many years. I think that Congress should have let them raise 1st class rates to .50 at the last raise. These silly 1 and 2 cent raises are crazy talk. two years ago I paid $1.00 for a gallon of milk...today, $2.39whack...just sayin...
So why would we complain about the cost of postage...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

They should set up a couple of side- lines to keep them afloat...such as an internet cafe, chat room, sell phones, sell computers, printers, books etc. That's what the P.O. does over here....(I think it's call diversification...or ;staying alive).
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Anyone surprised?
They've been in the red for decades!

What government operation runs in the black?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM

[quote=stitchinwitch]You paid $1 for a gallon of milk 2 years ago, and now you pay $2.39????????? Funny, ours is almost $4.00 a gallon.

No kidding.......and don't even think of buying milk in Hawaii!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM

[quote=Momsmurf]
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch

No kidding.......and don't even think of buying milk in Hawaii!
So what were you paying two years ago?...it was an EXAMPLE!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Why don't they hurry up and shut down on Saterdays!
Then we can all go out and do stuff we want to do, including the postal workers!
I think a five day week would benefit us all!
They could go fishing....and we could go quilting!