USPS - Going Broke...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Truth is, the USPS still employs far TOO MANY employees & levels of management despite the automation they have today. USPS workers are VERY well paid - so, WHY so many unproductive employees? Between my home and business, I use 3 locations and service at ALL of them is consistently SUB-standard. The Postmasters are also less than responsive to complaints. Our last carrier threw the mail in and left all the mailbox doors open most of the time. He didn't care if the mail got wet, only how FAST he could finish his route ! If I conducted myself like they do, I wouldn't have a job ! :(
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

OMG, I use them when buying quilt stuff from US.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Why don't they hurry up and shut down on Saterdays!
Then we can all go out and do stuff we want to do, including the postal workers!
I think a five day week would benefit us all!
They could go fishing....and we could go quilting!
Agreed.....
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM

when I go to our post office I see at least three people standing around talking when there is a line of seven or eight people waiting for help to me they need better customer service because one woman who mans the counter is mean as can be.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 PM

[quote=kathidahl]
Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
You paid $1 for a gallon of milk 2 years ago, and now you pay $2.39????????? Funny, ours is almost $4.00 a gallon.

No kidding.......and don't even think of buying milk in Hawaii!
So what were you paying two years ago?...it was an EXAMPLE!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I don't know about 2 years ago in Hawaii, since I'm now on the mainland, but here is a clip from a story a Hawaii radio station did recently,

"The highest price we found on Oahu for a gallon of whole milk was $8.99 on sale for $7.49 if you have a value card.

The cheapest was Costco for $4.99 per gallon."

Again, apologies if offense was taken.

:oops:
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

It's not just lost revenue b/c of e-mail, fax and on-line bills. It's also the rising costs of things such as gas and electric.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

If the postal service goes private that means it becomes a "for profit" business. The USPS is not a "for profit" business, it is to provide a needed service for everyone. We all know what a "for profit" business is and they don't have the restrictions that the USPS has regarding the cost for service. If it becomes private the cost for mail service will go through the roof.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
If the postal service goes private that means it becomes a "for profit" business. The USPS is not a "for profit" business, it is to provide a needed service for everyone. We all know what a "for profit" business is and they don't have the restrictions that the USPS has regarding the cost for service. If it becomes private the cost for mail service will go through the roof.
Probably true...for going private brings with it all the Federal regulations... which translates to $$$$$
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Truth is, the USPS still employs far TOO MANY employees & levels of management despite the automation they have today. USPS workers are VERY well paid - so, WHY so many unproductive employees? Between my home and business, I use 3 locations and service at ALL of them is consistently SUB-standard. The Postmasters are also less than responsive to complaints. Our last carrier threw the mail in and left all the mailbox doors open most of the time. He didn't care if the mail got wet, only how FAST he could finish his route ! If I conducted myself like they do, I wouldn't have a job ! :(
I must say that if your mailman is doing these acts, they should be reported at the time they happen. I live in an area that is part rural and I can honestly say that I have no complaints. I have never been in the Post Office where ppl are standing around just chatting! There is always something to do. I truly don't know why the Postal Service is always looked down upon when there are so many other areas of concern. Many are saying they are overpaid for the work they do. What I would like to know is, would you be willing to do the work they do for less? Their salaries are not extreme when you are faced with the economy of today. Sure many may think delivering mail is simple, but there are many factors that go into the job. They are on time tables, routes that are long and getting longer to be delivered in 6 hrs, not accounting for the weather issues and traffic and stopping to pick up letters being mailed from patrons. I truly think they earn their salary and should be left alone. I am sorry if this upsets the applecart, but that is how I feel. We could all sit here and disect each group of laborers and come up with something to say, but seriously those who serve us are to be respected .. from the trashman to the Military. Amen.

Blessings to all.

Sharon
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Our mailman is the BEST..I am appalled at the description of such poor service...report, report, report and go up the chain if you have to. There are people who would like to have a job.