UTI -- a private talk

Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM

If you take cranberry pills--NOT the juice, it has sugar to feed the infection, and take some uva-ursi caps it will speed your recovery--used to have these a LOT, and the Drs. did not find it right away with the odd symptoms!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Glad they found out what was wrong and getting the treatment for it. I had a round of recurring UTI, like every other month, that turned out to be a symptom of something else. After months of tests, including two types of ultrasounds, they finally did a CT scan and the results were uterine cancer. When they did surgery they found that it wasn't cancer!! It was an infection on the outside of my uterus, tubes, ovaries, and bladder from diverticulitis. That's why the simple antibiotics weren't getting rid of it.

If it had been correctly diagnosed 6 months before it might not have gone so far and I wouldn't have lived with the cancer diagnosis for a month and being told we would discuss chemo and/or radiation after surgery. I might not have lost all my female organs either.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Glad to hear they found out what the problem was. Get well soon!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM

After I had my bladder tuck, I got a UTI and my OB told me after I finished my antibiotics to take 1000 miligrams or whatever it's called (2 - 500 ? ) vitamin C pills everyday and it will prevent it from attaching to your bladder. No more UTI infections. The vitamin C keeps the acid up. Just an FYI
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Oh gosh yes I did know this! Found out last time I had a UTI. It was so bad that my Dr. gave me a list of things to look for and said some of the sympto
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Oh gosh yes I did know this! Found out last time I had a UTI. It was so bad that my Dr. gave me a list of things to look for and said some of the symptoms could mean something serious is going on.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I am so happy to hear that you have found out what is wrong and are on the road to recovery!!! (((HUGS)))

I have had numerous UTI's over the years... No symptoms for weeks except for a back ache, and maybe feeling a little cruddy. Like you I attributed it to lack of sleep due to hurting. My back hurts most of the time, so I didn't think they were out of the ordinary pains.

It wasn't until I would get hit simultaneously with a high temp and frequent urination that I would head to the ER. Due to the severity at this point, I would have to have IV antibiotics as well as oral, even more pills for the pain, and close calls being admitted to the hospital.
I was told that letting it get to this point, could do damaged to the involved organs... AND chastised for letting it get to this point :roll:

During the 4th episode... the ER doc told me to pee in a jar whenever my back pains flare... if the urine appears darker or cloudy, head right in to the docs office. What a simple way to check and prevent this from escalating... and it DOES work. I have nipped them in the bud many times since. Much cheaper on the pocket book too :D:D:D

My doc has a standing order that I can bring in a urine sample anytime for testing, if it is positive, then I am worked in to see him.
There have been a couple of borderline test results... I went home, flooded my system with water and came back a few days later to be retested.

While most feel the typical symptoms of a UTI early on, for those of us who don't, it can be a horrible experience. So if you have a bad bachache, and feel crappy all over? Ask your doc for a simple urine test to be done :wink:

When I drop off my prescription to be filled, I head to the grocery store to stock up on yogurt too. For me, I start eating 1-2 a day the day I start taking the pills through a few days afterwards. The meds stay in your body for a while, even after you stop taking them :wink:
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Yep, I have been having mild symptoms off and on for a year. The Dr. gave me antibiotics for it and it went away. Then occasionally I get that funny feeling again. Solution----cranberry pills and cranberry juice. It goes away; so now I try to remember to take one cranberry pill every day and drink lots of water, with lemon or lime.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM

thanks for the thoughts and the hugs everyone. I had forgotten about the yogurt -- and didn't know about the cranberry pills. It's been years --- and I mean YEARS, since I've had a UTI. I've slept all afternoon. Guess I needed it!!! :) Sure glad we were planning on staying home over the holidays! BTW -- the NW area here is getting slammed. I think we've had about 5" of snow today!!! No longer dreaming about a white Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Amandasgramma- It is really shameful that 2 doctors didn't pick up on that. I would consider getting a new doctor.
Get better soon sweetie!! :)