UTI -- a private talk

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM

I hope that now that you know what it is, that you start feeling better real soon. Hoefully by Thanksgiving so you can really enjoy your day! Sending good thoughts to you for a speedy recovery!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
thanks for the thoughts and the hugs everyone. I had forgotten about the yogurt -- and didn't know about the cranberry pills. It's been years --- and I mean YEARS, since I've had a UTI. I've slept all afternoon. Guess I needed it!!! :) Sure glad we were planning on staying home over the holidays! BTW -- the NW area here is getting slammed. I think we've had about 5" of snow today!!! No longer dreaming about a white Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
I have heard about the yogurt bit but have to be careful with it. I have mold allergies and can only eat certain yogurts because of the organisms they use to make the yogurt. But the cranberry pills work for me. Good Luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Acidolphilis pills work also. Not sure if I spelled that right to keep the flora and fauna in the right place. That is in yogurt and you have to make sure you get the right yogurt as some don't have it added.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Well -- we're pretty much snowed in right now, so I don't think I'll get yogurt OR pills!! LOL

As for getting another doctor --- gosh, it's getting harder and harder. Generally, I like him -- he's good. I think most of the problem was that I didn't tell him all my symptoms!!!! I gotta quit doctoring myself!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM

So glad you have been diagnosed correctly and are on the road to recovery!

I thought I was odd not having the typical symptoms! Once I went to doc for, what I thought was horrible hay fever allergy. I looked at me and said, "I bet you have a severe UTI" and the answer was "yes". I am now a firm believer in cranberry pills, uvi ursi, and vit c-little beasties can't live in acid urine!-beats taking antibiotics!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
So glad you have been diagnosed correctly and are on the road to recovery!

I thought I was odd not having the typical symptoms! Once I went to doc for, what I thought was horrible hay fever allergy. I looked at me and said, "I bet you have a severe UTI" and the answer was "yes". I am now a firm believer in cranberry pills, uvi ursi, and vit c-little beasties can't live in acid urine!-beats taking antibiotics!
!!!! I've been having MAJOR hay fever (or pine tree fever) for 1 1/2 yrs now!! Gee, would be nice if THIS was the problem!!!! Especially since I live in the middle of PINE TREES!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Wow, thank you for sharing all this information.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM

I had 4 uti's and a kidney infection in the first few months of this year. I now take cranberry capsules every day, and up that to 2 capsules if I feel something brewing. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM

My mother blacked out and fell a couple years ago, ending up in the e.r. Because of a history of heart problems, the dr. ran all kinds of heart tests, but nothing showed. Finally, he decided to do a urine test and then he was going to send her home with no answers. Yup, she had a UTI, correct meds were then given. It was scary though. She was 81 at the time, and we children were concerned about strokes, etc. When I checked on the internet, passing out was listed as a symptom. And my mom is like so many others of that generation, she doesn't tell the dr. everything, or glosses over it.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Wow - so glad you found out! Hope you feel better soon!