UTI -- a private talk

Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I have had a uti problem for 5 years and I will be on a treatment for another 2 or 3 months. I've lost 22 pounds since summer. Feel terrible all the time. I finished one treatment about a month ago then the day after I finished the treatment I had another infection. Just hoping for some relief.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh, my! That had to be so frightening. Glad you have a diagnosis and hope you will be feeling well soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Another symptom is change in behavior, usually short tempered, acting out, increased anger, etc. I see this a lot in the elderly who have UTI. Work in a nursing home.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
Another symptom is change in behavior, usually short tempered, acting out, increased anger, etc. I see this a lot in the elderly who have UTI. Work in a nursing home.
gosh :oops: were you in my house this last 2 months?????????? :-D
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sewingyankee
I know exactly how you feel. I have had a uti problem for 5 years and I will be on a treatment for another 2 or 3 months. I've lost 22 pounds since summer. Feel terrible all the time. I finished one treatment about a month ago then the day after I finished the treatment I had another infection. Just hoping for some relief.
Wish I could say I'm losing weight ------just the opposite!:roll:
Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM

I forgot to mention, anyone on an antibiotic should take yogurt as a supplement. Antibiotics mess with the fauna in the GI tract and the yogurt repaces that. It can greatly decrease the chances of coming down with another infection.

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
My Public Service Announcement:

Unbeknownst to most of us, the #2 cause of bladder cancer is chronic, reoccuring UTI's(#1 being smoking). I only found this out 3 years ago when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer after many years of UTI's and more recently, a low-grade UTI that CIPRO wasn't getting rid of, and "back aches" & "hip joint aches". Which turned out to be a kidney in agony because the cancer in the bladder was blocking off the ureta to the kidney. Unfortunately, we lost my dear mother only 3 months later.

So, please, keep this in mind and if you have a history of reoccuring, frequent or chronic UTI's see a urologist & get checked.

Thanks for "listening" to my PSA.
Sorry for the loss of your mother!!! And I didn't know that, so thank you for the PSA! My father got bladder cancer...it's not funny. Later it showed up in his lungs and he was gone 11 months later. Again, thank you for the PSA.

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I forgot to mention, anyone on an antibiotic should take yogurt as a supplement. Antibiotics mess with the fauna in the GI tract and the yogurt repaces that. It can greatly decrease the chances of coming down with another infection.
Yes -- I'd forgotten that, too, until someone mentioned it. I'm snowed in right now -- but when I get to the store next, I'll buy some.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Get Well Soon
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Oh man.. I am so sorry you had this so long.. UTI can be very painful, and left to their own can be dangerous. My sweet MIL had a dropped uterus which caused her to have urinary problems, which led to reoccuring UTI's.. She generally spent a couple weeks in the hospital with heavy IV antibiotics... This last time she went in was the same as all the other times it appeared.. but the infection somehow slipped out of the urinary track and got into her blood. She died a day and a half later... There was no stopping it once it got in her blood. So don't mess with UTI's or take them lightly.. they can be deadly.