UTI -- a private talk

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tolepainter54
After I had my bladder tuck, I got a UTI and my OB told me after I finished my antibiotics to take 1000 miligrams or whatever it's called (2 - 500 ? ) vitamin C pills everyday and it will prevent it from attaching to your bladder. No more UTI infections. The vitamin C keeps the acid up. Just an FYI
I've had bladder cancer and 2 -- 500's of vit. C is what I was told to take, also.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Makes you wonder if those first two doctors were paying attention. What a relief to find an answer. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Dee

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Oh man.. I am so sorry you had this so long.. UTI can be very painful, and left to their own can be dangerous. <snip>... There was no stopping it once it got in her blood. So don't mess with UTI's or take them lightly.. they can be deadly.
I have to agree. I had a UTI at the beginning of my pregnancy with my 2nd child. I did go to the doctor for the UTI, but was misdiagnosed as "just pregnant", which I knew to be wrong. Blood in urine is not a pregnancy symptom, and neither is extreme pain while peeing. Untreated, they spread to the bladder, sometimes the kidneys, the uterus and the pelvic floor. Mine didn't go to the kidneys, but it did go everywhere else. I had a doctor appointment scheduled with my OBGYN in two weeks, and figured I would bring it up again then, but I never got to that point. I spiked a 103 fever and went to the emergency room where they hospitalized me. I almost lost my baby, as the bladder sits against the uterus. The first doctor appt was medical malpractice- I knew I had a UTI and I should have immediately sought a second opinion since they left me untreated for it. Had they done a blood test, it would have showed the elevated WBC count.

About the cranberry juice, yes, I was drinking a ton of it, and while it did make the urethra feel a lot better with the high acidity, it didn't kill the bacteria or prevent them from spreading the infection further. Once you have an infection, the antibiotic is the only sure way to kill the infection and stop it from spreading. I am grateful now that I spiked the fever, even a few days later could have spelled disaster for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 PM

I've been receiving PMs on this, too....I'm amazed the stories on this! I used to have lots of trouble with it years ago...but haven't had one for 20+ years. I'm taking the meds as directed -- TRYING to drink lots of fluids....and will follow up with doctor. After 2 days of meds....I find the back pain is gone!!!!! Go figure -- Thousands of dollars for doctors, physical therapy and it's a UTI!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I've been receiving PMs on this, too....I'm amazed the stories on this! I used to have lots of trouble with it years ago...but haven't had one for 20+ years. I'm taking the meds as directed -- TRYING to drink lots of fluids....and will follow up with doctor. After 2 days of meds....I find the back pain is gone!!!!! Go figure -- Thousands of dollars for doctors, physical therapy and it's a UTI!!!!
Not only that, but you are lucky to be alive. I would ask what the long term damages are- scarring, your risk for cancer, so that you are prepared in the future from the consequences from this prolonged infection.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Norene B
Acidolphilis pills work also. Not sure if I spelled that right to keep the flora and fauna in the right place. That is in yogurt and you have to make sure you get the right yogurt as some don't have it added.
I keep a bottle of these in my fridge for any time I'm put on antibiotics, which seems to be too often lately. Chronic bronchitis. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating all that yogurt.:)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 AM

When I did psychiatric nursing the first thing we did for an elderly (dare I use the word?!) patient with sudden onset of change in mental status was a UA. Most of the time a round of
antibiotics put things shipshap.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Doesn't the cranberry juice need to be low sugar to work the best?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
When I did psychiatric nursing the first thing we did for an elderly (dare I use the word?!) patient with sudden onset of change in mental status was a UA. Most of the time a round of
antibiotics put things shipshap.
Okay -- I'll take that in the spirit I'm SURE :roll: you meant! ROL!

Yes -- thank you! I know I've had so much confusion lately....even friends were mentioning it.........

Thanks EVERYONE for your advice and well-wishes

Happy Gobble Gobble!

dee