Venison anyone????

Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Darn, I thoughtyou were inviting us over for a venison BBQ, LOL!!!!!!!!
I am glad the pup is okay!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 AM

Actually we don't have as much of a problem with them the last year. with unemployment up so is poaching!
people need to eat!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 AM

I'd be happy to wander up there & introduce the deer to my 308 Winchester...

Our rabbit population here has exploded. I'm seriously considering testing out how to hunt those sans firearms (and how to cook it)...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba

Our rabbit population here has exploded. I'm seriously considering testing out how to hunt those sans firearms (and how to cook it)...
Sling shot if you're good enough, traps if you aren't. But I think there's a season on them too. At least there is here in Illinois.
The same way you do chicken or squirrel: you can fry them, stew them, bake them, or boil them into soup.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba

We raise rabbits and I have some great recipes.

Deer always seem so docile that people don't realize how aggressive they can be. Those hooves are deadly.
I have good venison recipes, too. ;-)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM

Wow I thought they would just run away when encounter. You are right though about children he could do serious damage. I would call I think it is Humane Society? I don't know, dog catcher people, maybe they can put that one down. Way to dangerous. As you can see I'm been born and raised as a city gal (northwest suburbs of Chicago) only been displaced here awhile ago. (central Ill.)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Hi all...I'm up and going now!! Company for 3 weeks is getting me EXHAUSTED!

Okay -- our neighbor IS feeding them. We've reported him but the Fish and Game people are SO busy they can't do anything. Plus, the guy lives in Portland...this is his vacation home...and we never know when he comes and goes. We have a local nursery that has deer coming in and eating her plants/trees. Her INCOME is going to the deer! Fish and Game are trying to find who's feeding THOSE deer! No dog catchers here in the country.

A bow and a slingshot sound good :) and I have a lot of good venison recipes, too. Not to worry, the meat will never go to waste.

I saw Hootch this morning and he looks fine. Did I mention he's over 13 yrs old....he's a remarkable dog. I'd LOVE to have one with his personality.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM

[quote=amandasgramma]

Okay -- our neighbor IS feeding them. We've reported him but the Fish and Game people are SO busy they can't do anything. Plus, the guy lives in Portland...this is his vacation home...and we never know when he comes and goes.

Pretend you are setting up an undercover sting operation. See if you can figure out when he is coming. Then set up a camera to film him in the act. When you catch him, turn the movie over to the Fish & Game folks.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Pam

I cooked venison last night. We have it about 3x a week, just a normal meal for us, so maybe that deer was looking for me!

In any case hubby harvests 2 a year and we have a couple other people over to hunt on our farm. They are quite overpopulated here in Southern Illinois and when there are too many you get diseases breaking out all over such as deer wasting disease.

Not to mention the havoch they wreak on crops and the unfortunate traffic accidents are all too common. Everytime I read about a single car accident I wonder if they were trying to avoid a deer.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Shoot from inside (acts as a silencer) and quickly drag the deer into the garage. Hang it and take care of it and stock your freezer. Think how badly you will feel if the deer decides to take on some kid.