Vintage Calicos

Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 AM

I also love the calicos and prints of the 30's era. I've gotten to where I find myself buying mostly 30's repros and solids. I have enough of everything else I could ever want, I think. I just don't remember what I was going to make with the other fabric when I bought it (I know I had something in mind, but what?).
Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
Is it just me, or do other people feel a regret that no one makes the same pretty Calicos like what was around in the '50s and '60s? I love to look at my DH's great-grandma's quilts and admire her pretty fabric collection. I do have a couple of her fabrics now myself. I just think that the floral prints back then were so pretty then compared to the modern nowadays fabrics. Anyone else, or am I old fashioned minded?
I believe they call this fabric "vintage boutique" - I love it too
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

They are still being made, just not by the big brand name producers. I was at Jerome Tank's store in Philadelphia, MS yesterday and they had stacks of them. You will usually find them where they sell flat fold fabrics, like Marshall's Dry Goods in Arkansas. Not going to see them in your LQS, probably, unless they become a "thing" again. I've got a small collection of them but I honestly don't know what to do with them!

They make me feel nostalgic because they were what was in the stores back when I first started sewing, some 50 years ago.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
The fabric designs have evolved along with the modern quilts that are being made today. Like everything else it will slowly come back as something new!
That is true, it will come back one day as new! I hope I am around when it does I always keep my eyes open at thrift stores for scraps or yardage.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 AM

I have a lifetime supply of those kind of calicos (in scrap form) that I love. Big prints have their place, but I love the smaller-scale prints. Hoarding has its good points!!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
Is it just me, or do other people feel a regret that no one makes the same pretty Calicos like what was around in the '50s and '60s? I love to look at my DH's great-grandma's quilts and admire her pretty fabric collection. I do have a couple of her fabrics now myself. I just think that the floral prints back then were so pretty then compared to the modern nowadays fabrics. Anyone else, or am I old fashioned minded?
I know how you feel totally. I think back to the pretty sheets we used to be able to get for beds and think what a pity they have nothing now that is really pretty. I would even buy the nice sheets and make clothes with them they were so pretty and didn't wrinkle too much. Yes, I do understand.

Last edited by Carol34446; 01-27-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2017, 02:58 PM

As the saying goes, "everything old becomes new again".