virus

Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

The virus you are talking about seems to be everywhere. I got hit by it twice on 2 different web sites. I had mcafee at the time, now I have AVG and have not had any problems.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 AM

I have Norton virus protection and it indicated that there was a high security virus trying to get through last night while I was on this board (I think I was actually on a link that I went to from the board), so I would say that it didn't come from this board itself, but the link I was going to. Kind of scary, but Norton blocked the virus and saved my computer! Worth every $$ I spent on Norton ☺
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Use an Apple each day to keep viruses away!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

There is a new one out there that is attacking companies and is one to really watch for. The government is trying to find the source of it and the anti-virus companies are quickly trying to find an update to prevent it. I can't remember any details, but watch your email.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 AM

someone mentioned FAcebook, there are some links on there that are dangerous - but people spread them around, like OMG you have to see this, then you click on the link (which takes you OFF FB) and bad stuff happens.
I remember one that was supposed to show you obscene images in Disney cartoons (you were supposed to be outraged, not titillated). I am very suspicious so I googled it first.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Seems like I locked up too looking at a wedsite from here but I shut her down right away and rebooted. I also got a warning of a scam recently from my security but not here on the forum. I don't open half the stuff I get and only do it through trusted sources. Someone hijacked one of my daughter's email too recently and I knew it was not her so just deleted it right away. Beware!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM

I think AVG is far better than McAffee, don't you? I had nothing but probs with McAffee and I swear they were the ones causing it so I would buy more of their products.

Originally Posted by cjomomma
The virus you are talking about seems to be everywhere. I got hit by it twice on 2 different web sites. I had mcafee at the time, now I have AVG and have not had any problems.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by franie
I think AVG is far better than McAffee, don't you? I had nothing but probs with McAffee and I swear they were the ones causing it so I would buy more of their products.

Originally Posted by cjomomma
AVG is the BEST! I've done a lot of research and the free version of AVG is 10 times bettern than the most expensive Mcaffee!

BUT, a program like this won't be picked up by a virus program, as it isn't a virus. You need a "spyware" type program for one like this.

Malwarebytes is an excellent free program. Do a search and you'll find it to download for free. Everyone should have some type of this kind of program.

I've got 2 in the last 6 months. The first thing you need to do is CTRL + ALT + DEL and open up "Start Task Manager" and look in processed and find the program and click end process. That turns it off, so you can then find it and delete it. If you dont' do this, it will keep you from deleting it!

They are getting better and better with these type things. The last wouldn't even let me open some websites that might could delete it! Smart!

Now that I run the Malwarebytes program regularly, I've not had any. It constantly finds them, though.

If I were you, I'd go get AVG and Malwarebytes. Those two should give you complete protection.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Kas

Once I got a warning that looked like it was coming from the virus protection on my computer. When I tried to close out of it, it kept putting me into a loop. So I opened my other spyware program and ran a check on the comuter and my first "warning" showed up as malware. It looked just like a warning generated by my own program. So beware.

I should add that it was before I ever found this nice place!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 AM

My computer had a virus too. I finally had to reboot it. It works better now.