virus

Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Izy

I had an issue over a year ago, I had clicked on a link for a quilting site when suddenly a very convincing 'windows alert' popped up saying I had a virus, and to download tah de dah de dah...well to cut a long story short, I had a write ol time getting rid of it, finally found a forum on google which recommend a free programme to download, it worked...the virus was called: antivirus 2009 or something like that so beware...wasn't from the quiltingboard, but it was a quilting related free pattern or something.....

Hope you get rid soon!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I recently had some strange things pop up when I was on the QB and I thought that it was from here. It appears to have been a mal-ware or spyware application trying to sneak in. Pure coinkidink!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by franie
I think AVG is far better than McAffee, don't you? I had nothing but probs with McAffee and I swear they were the ones causing it so I would buy more of their products.

Originally Posted by cjomomma
The virus you are talking about seems to be everywhere. I got hit by it twice on 2 different web sites. I had mcafee at the time, now I have AVG and have not had any problems.
I tried McAfee and Norton with terrible results. They were always allowing something thru. On my desk top we have the free version from AVG and the laptop has AVG that I purchased. Malwarebites has a free down load that works great. My computer guy recommends Avg to everyone.

Incase you all don't know it if you go into your cp system and reset the cp back to a date before the virus then run malewarebites it will capture and destroy the virus and or trojan. Just don't asak me how to do it. I have a friend that did it for me.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 PM

I got a virus 2 yrs ago and my dear computer nerd had to erase everything!!! He loaded the free AVAST program -I love it -had McAfee and Norton before and nothing as good as this freebie
Old 09-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
I had an issue over a year ago, I had clicked on a link for a quilting site when suddenly a very convincing 'windows alert' popped up saying I had a virus, and to download tah de dah de dah...well to cut a long story short, I had a write ol time getting rid of it, finally found a forum on google which recommend a free programme to download, it worked...the virus was called: antivirus 2009 or something like that so beware...wasn't from the quiltingboard, but it was a quilting related free pattern or something.....

Hope you get rid soon!
This was the virus that hit me too antivirus 2008.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 PM

We had a major one too recently. My DH had put both McAfee and Norton on the puter and apparently they are not compatible. DH got rid of McAfee and we don't have near the problems. We also have a spyware. Don't know which one.

DH was on the phone for four days with Dell and our server trying to get it fixed. He had more patience than I would have. I could not understand the techs. Anyway, be careful what you open. If you don't know who it is from, DELETE.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:40 PM

I took the computer in to have it fixed. When she turned it on, she said it was a common virus they see alot. I cost $200. to have it fixed, it should be ready in 3 days. My husband had a virus a few months ago on his computer. It totally ruined it. We had to buy a new computer. He has Norton on his computer.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM

My SIL told me that when that screen pops up telling you have a virus and buy the software don't click on anything. Do the control-alt-delete thing to get you to the task manager and then shut your browser from there. He says that should stop it.

good luck!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM

We use AVAST, and it's so good for a while I couldn't even send emails...LOL All kidding aside, since we started using AVAST we haven't had a single issue. If a site is infected my screen goes red and an alarm goes off. It works quietly in the background.

We had Norton before and it was as useless as boobs on a boar.....LOL I had more germs from their service than if I didn't use an anti virus program at all.

I had a laptop with McAfee already on it from the factory. It messed up my hard drive somehow. I call their tech line and the guy told me to get rid of McAfee and use another program. I assume after they reviewed the recorded tape he was fired..LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Ssnare. That happened to me last week. i could do nothing.
I had to f8 my coumputer when I turned it on, and than go to safe mold. Once in safe mold I went to restore and restored my computer back to a few weeks ago. it worked.