Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Water, Water, Water everywhere >
  • Water, Water, Water everywhere

• Water, Water, Water everywhere

Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    YIKES....as much as I love spring, the warm temps have melted most of the snow, and my basement has become a swimming pool. Rugs all soaked, boxes of scraps drenched, BUT....the packages of the Blocks of the Orient are in a rubbermaid tub so they are SAFE!!! My fabric armoire is up high so that is all safe, but my back is screaming, my legs are shaking and I am sleep deprived. I have been working pretty steadily since 10am on Saturday morning, the shop vac does a good job of sucking the water up, but I have to keep doing it every 15 minutes. There are cracks in the floor where the water just bubbles (yeah, like a little fountain) up through. I didn't see it when it first began because the cracks are under the large throw rug. It wasn't until I went down to sew on Saturday a.m. and noticed the new indoor pool.... :hunf: hubby helped...picked up the 4 boxes of my scraps (used for pillow sutffings) and of course the bottom fell out and scraps were floating around. Still can't laugh about it yet. Have to call off work tomorrow (not to sew - drats) but just to keep ahead of it.
    Sorry to hear of the floods up your way! I lived north of there during the bad flood in the early 70's (If my memory serves me right it was in 73). I sure hope you don't get it that bad again....
    Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 AM

Oh, Deb! I'm so, so, so sorry about all your troubles! That's awful! So much work! If I can help, please just call!
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 AM

So sorry to hear, hugs and prayers!
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I am so sorry....Sending you hugs since I can't be there to help.
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 AM

Sorry to hear you are having flooding problems! I hope the water lets up soon and you can gey your sewing space all cleaned up! Sending (((((((HUGS))))))
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry about the water in the basement. I hate that when we get it, but I also look at that is is time to clean the basement.
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 AM

So sorry to hear about your "spring cleaning" in the sewing room...we used to have the same problem every spring.
    If you haven't tried it...give a try to some hydralic cement. We always had water coming in the wall thru a crack...and up thru 1 in the floor.
    Knock on wood...none for several years, after using the hydralic cement....
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    So sorry to hear about your "spring cleaning" in the sewing room...we used to have the same problem every spring.
    If you haven't tried it...give a try to some hydralic cement. We always had water coming in the wall thru a crack...and up thru 1 in the floor.
    Knock on wood...none for several years, after using the hydralic cement....
    Hydralic cement.....sounds good....I will check into it.
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Oh, Deb! I'm so, so, so sorry about all your troubles! That's awful! So much work! If I can help, please just call!
    Thanks Michele, I have it under controle now, the bubbling seems to have stopped. I have the fans and the dehumidifier going full blast to dry the air....
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    YIKES....as much as I love spring, the warm temps have melted most of the snow, and my basement has become a swimming pool. Rugs all soaked, boxes of scraps drenched, BUT....the packages of the Blocks of the Orient are in a rubbermaid tub so they are SAFE!!! My fabric armoire is up high so that is all safe, but my back is screaming, my legs are shaking and I am sleep deprived. I have been working pretty steadily since 10am on Saturday morning, the shop vac does a good job of sucking the water up, but I have to keep doing it every 15 minutes. There are cracks in the floor where the water just bubbles (yeah, like a little fountain) up through. I didn't see it when it first began because the cracks are under the large throw rug. It wasn't until I went down to sew on Saturday a.m. and noticed the new indoor pool.... :hunf: hubby helped...picked up the 4 boxes of my scraps (used for pillow sutffings) and of course the bottom fell out and scraps were floating around. Still can't laugh about it yet. Have to call off work tomorrow (not to sew - drats) but just to keep ahead of it.
    Sorry to hear of the floods up your way! I lived north of there during the bad flood in the early 70's (If my memory serves me right it was in 73). I sure hope you don't get it that bad again....
    Actually, it was June '72 Agnes, she delayed my graduation!!