Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • We did it again - NOT smart!  =O >
  • We did it again - NOT smart! =O

• We did it again - NOT smart! =O

Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Originally Posted by hobo2000
    It's not fun trying to wash your long haired dog in tomato juice but it does work. We used a plastic tarp the clear kind, dropped it over the cage then used a rake to pull it out of the yard. It worked.
    Nonono - there is no need to use tomato juice. Nature's Miracle is a wonderful enzyme-killing product. We buy it by the gallon. All you do is wet the dog down thoroughly and let the stuff dry. Then you give the dog a bath with regular doggy shampoo. The only thing it doesn't handle is the doggy breath. I thought it was bad on a regular day - just try it after they ingest skunk. (Lasts for about 3 weeks)

Our vet told us that Massengil douche works too. Now I personally find that offensive. I mean, really - how bad do the girly parts have to get before someone utters "OMG SKUNK!" ? lol
    Mad! You made me pee my pants!
    Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

My husband says the only good skunk is a dead skunk! We live on 6 acres where old buildings have been buried years ago, leaving cavities in the underground. We have had skunks live there, and wood chucks....seems they take turns. One year we had all these baby skunks running around the yard! Cute. That is until we had grandkids here and we were all playing in the yard (not with the baby skunks, tho) and here comes momma skunk right towards the yard where the kids are. DH was coming up the drive and saw her and stopped short, got out and pulled his rifle out and shot her on the spot. Hard to tell what would have happened. The babies got captured and taken to the conservation park. And don't let anyone tell you that baby skunks don't spray....they most certainly do! We've had numerous dogs sprayed so we grab tomato juice. Even daughter got sprayed by those babies! Gross! I don't think you can give the skunk food with out getting sprayed. I would suggest you gas it with fumes from the car. If your husband is a good shot...a hit to the head would be recommended. First time. If you feel you have to do something to keep it alive,open the building up on a windy day so the spray can be blown out. Good luck!!
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM

No volunteer here, but you gave me a good chuckle. Good luck.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Decided to post after reading all about skunks. When I was very young we had a pet skunk. Yes, a pet!! None of us were ever sprayed. One day it wondered away and we never saw it again. My Dad hunted skunks and sold their hides. You can imagine what he smelled like after a hunt.!! We lived on a farm and had many wild animals as pets at different times when I was growing up. We never kept them confined and they would "hear the call of the wild" never to be seen again. One of the most interesting was a Jack rabbit. Daddy found it when he was plowing the field and brought it home to us. (5 kids) It stayed in the house. "In the olden days" women would make a bedspread from muslin, tying yarn in different colors to make a design. The rabbit sat on the spread by the window and pulled out the yarn. Mother wasn't real happy about that. He just hopped away one day. She probably WAS happy about that. Glad you had a good ending to your skunk problem. Marjean
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Skunks don't usually spray while they are in a trap. That is a closed trap, so if you put plastic or blanket over the trap you shuold be able to move the trap and release it. We used to trap them when we lived on the river in Arizona. Never go sprayed or did they ever spray while in the cage.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 PM

I'm not sure if your town is like mine, but here, we can call the police and let them know if we have a skunk problem. THey will have people come out and live trap it and move it. We had a skunk here last summer and after two weeks of it hanging around and digging holes in my yard(Also two feet away from my front door), someone at work told me about that. It went away after that on it's own. We found out that they eat ants...which in the summer we have ants everywhere in the yard.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
    Power Poster

Our vet gave DH some drug pellets things to shoot to put a mean upset raccoon to sleep so he could be released safely.
    Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM

I have had dogs sprayed in the past. Did the tomato juice thing and tried the peroxide, baking soda thing. Last summer the long haired dog got sprayed. I bought Zorbx. They make a pet shampoo that is perfect for all orders, including skunk. The Zorbx guy on the phone said to wet the dog down and lather him up. If you can keep the lather on his fur for about 5 minutes it works best. Otherwise rinse and lather a second time for skunk odor. I did what he said, didn't use gloves and you would never have known he got sprayed. They have a website, you can order on line. They make a great air odor remover too. Not scented so it gets rid of the odor and the air just smells clean.
    Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    We set a live trap to see what was digging to get under our garage door..... happened a few years ago when we were trying to get a wood chuck out of our garden.... you kind of forget that certain undesirable critters are nocturnal and that you should trip the trap at night..... so now, again, we have a skunk.

We watched youtube videos of how to sneak up to let them free, but last time it wound up spraying anyway. We have about an acre of land - there wasn't one foot of it that didn't REEK of skunk. It was nauseating. So dh is extremely nervous right now.... he doesn't want to go through that again.... and
    we have to go somewhere in a couple of hours (he really
    doesn't want to smell like skunk). And of course the trap is kind of a pain to open, especially when you're trying to stay out of the way. Anybody want to volunteer? Dh would be so
    grateful! lol!
    My daughter catches skunks on a regular basis at her horse lot. She catches them in a trap then thrws a blanket over it then puts the trap in pickup and takes it to the county. sets trap on ground, gets behind it and opens the door. Knock on wood, she hasn't gotten sprayed yet.
    Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM

drgranny, give your daughter a hug from me! She's a sweetie for catching and releasing them!