Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • We pay for T.V. service and nothing on >
  • We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

• We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM

I rarely watch t.v. (for many years now), but am "hooked" on British imports. Our cable t.v. has an annual price increase and at the same time, moves good channels from Extended Basic to a higher priced package. Late last year, we did what we had been threatening to do for years and cancelled all but Basic. (If we cancelled Basic too, our internet price part of the package would shoot up another $20.00/month ... they get ya coming & going.) That first week of just Basic, I missed "New Tricks" and part I of Stephen Frye's drive across America & I almost had a hissy fit. So we dropped cable t.v. (& now pay the extra for the internet) & got a satellite dish & 3 receivers, 2 of which record programs. I signed a 2-year agreement and I like it better than cable; I can record network shows that are 45% or more commercials, watch them later & fast forward over the commercials. My DH is disabled and cannot do much, so we really need t.v. so he can watch "How It's Made" & other educational shows. We can't go the Netflix route, as neither one of us are big movie fans; it must be a short attention span problem.

I, too, question this fascination with reality shows. What's with that? Doesn't everyone have his/her own reality on a day-to-day basis? I, for one, don't need my nose rubbed in someone else's reality, some of which is unbelievable, if the previews are any indication.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 AM

My DH will be so thrilled when I tell him about Sky King. He only has a few episodes and he loves it! Thanks for the link I have it on now.
    Originally Posted by husband-of-a-quilter
    We live in a very rural area of PA and we have free TV. Have since 1986. We live on top of a hill, point our antennas east and get the best HD tv, and it is free. All the major networks plus extras. There are also many web sites like Hulu to watch many shows for free. We just hook up the computer through a HDMI or RGB cable and watch it on the big screen. I did a search one day and found 64 episodes of Sky King for free. http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/skyking.asp
    There are web sites like http://www.archive.org that have old radio shows and old kinescope recordings from the very early days of television. Why pay when it is free.
    As you can guess I like free!!
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM
    Banned

[quote=moonwolf23]
    Originally Posted by gollytwo
    My friends all think the same.
    I, on the other hand, have a loaded tivo.

You might also like some of USA's stuff.
    Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, That one with the FBI and the thief. The burnt CIA agent in miami, who's show I can't remember.
    I do like Covert Affairs and Royal Pains, both gone for awhile, liked Saving Grace too, now over. The FBI-thief is White Collar.
    Burn Notice (burned CIA guy) somehow doesn't appeal to me. Violence is fine, can't stand torture, this from someone who loved The Shield - go figure
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 AM

I don't watch "tv" per say. We can't use hulu here in Canada. I do have a DVD recorder. I record the shows I want to watch and at the end of the season I burn the DVD's. I can then watch a whole season at my leisure without the commercials. I find watching the series in it's entirety is much more enjoyable. I have a preference for BBC and the other British network shows. I use my Sirius for the book channel and Radio Classics. I can listen to them while I sew.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 AM

I agree with you totally and that includes radio because my radio antenna isn;t strong enough to get all classical programming that is local.
    Why isn't there a movement to toatlly not watch television until there are discussions for what intelligent people want . I don't get craft or quilting shows on my local educational programming.
    We just go to the library and get films to borrow and good books to read. I can't afford a blue ray dvd player so I can''t stream netflix.
    ceegee.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM

I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this way. If my husband did not enjoy the TV so much I think I would get rid of it.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM

We got a neilsen postcard in the mail - apparently they will be calling us to monitor what we watch. :lol: Ummmmmm.... my 6 yo watches Tom & Jerry on the Free on Demand..... maybe mythbusters ocassionally - that's about it. Even with a gazillion channels, it's all junk.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

Another one to agree here.....I've been getting movies from my library (for free of course) and I watch Hulu...There are a few shows that I watch, but not many. DH watches History, Bio, NatGeo...that type of stuff...fascinated currently by Swamp people...who woulda' thought that?
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 AM

[quote=gollytwo]
    Originally Posted by moonwolf23

Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, That one with the FBI and the thief. The burnt CIA agent in miami, who's show I can't remember.
    I do like Covert Affairs and Royal Pains, both gone for awhile, liked Saving Grace too, now over. The FBI-thief is White Collar.
    Burn Notice (burned CIA guy) somehow doesn't appeal to me. Violence is fine, can't stand torture, this from someone who loved The Shield - go figure
    If your into some strange stuff

Haven is good and so is Warehouse 13, Sci Fi channel. Good plots.

I will admit some of the reality stuff I like. I have a weakness for the housewives of New York city but can't stand the other housewives, which are snotty and stuck up and reallly stupid.

I like Ghost hunters, some of the reality stuff on the history channel.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM
    Banned

[quote=moonwolf23]
    Originally Posted by moonwolf23

If you're into some strange stuff

Haven is good and so is Warehouse 13, Sci Fi channel. Good plots.
    Thanks for the info; I can't do sci-fi, too creepy for me.