Wedding favors

Old 04-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

My son is getting married this week, and I was surprised that they were talking about favors for the guests. I must be old, because I never remember favors being given out when I attended weddings in the past.

I would never be offended if I didn't receive a favor ( probably because I have never received one) , had never thought to receive one. These days money is so tight it is all you can do to put together a wedding, don't worry about the favors. People should/would understand !

I like the disposable camera idea :lol:
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I see no need for favors. They are fun, but certainly not necessary.

In my opinion, all that is really necessary for a wedding is a bride, a groom, and a person that can marry them.

Everything else is optional.

And spending money one doesn't have is stupid (in my opinion)

Save it for fabric! :-)
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 AM

I actually think favors at weddings are stupid and get in the way on the table. I could care less if I got another bag of Jordan's almonds or potpourri. I always think about the trouble that went into making something that gets left on the table or thrown away as soon as I get home.

I think the donation idea is great!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I am going to talk to my fiance about making a donation instead of favors.

Nikki
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM

when my daughter got married we did the following. We went to the website The Knot..they had some really nice little silver colored frames. We used them as place cards..using a fancy script from the computer..we typed each quests name and then cut them out to fit in the frame. The frames were then lined up in alphabetical order on a table. Under the name of the quest..I forgot to add..was the table number. It was a inexpensive and elegant.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

This is YOUR day, please don't stress out over this... do what YOU want to do, and enjoy your big day :D:D:D
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by amma
This is YOUR day, please don't stress out over this... do what YOU want to do, and enjoy your big day :D:D:D
I agree with Amma that you should do what you feel the most comfortable day. No favors are required. The people are there to enjoy the seeing you get married and celebrating after.

Most favors are tossed. Sad, but true.

My son was married last summer and really wanted to do the favors but didn't want to see one just tossed away.

He is a huge music buff. I gave him my 80 gb ipod which he has filled up with music twice.

For their wedding, he took music that was to be played at their wedding and made up CD's for favors.

We accidently found out we had Lightscribe on one of our computers so he "etched pictures" of them on the front of the CD along with the Date, venue, and their names. He then made up CD cases with the name of the guest and the table they were to be seated at. This solved the problem of place settings at the same time. On the inside of the CD cover he placed the list of music on the CD.

Since he did the work himself all he had to pay for were the cd's (which we bought because he needed the lightscibe cd's) and the card holders. The rest he made up himself.

CD's that were lightscribed (etched)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8085[/ATTACH]

Place setting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8085.jpe   attachment-8092.jpe  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM

I've attended 2 weddings recently...the 1 couple put a cardstock note on each placesetting stating that in lieu of favors they had donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of their Grandfathers.
The other wedding was chocolate covered pretzels in a small cellophane bag set in front of each place.
Both were very nice and I was greatful to not receive some fancy "junk" to find a home.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm getting married this summer, and I found some cute little put-it-together-yourself boxes that I'll put a couple hershey kisses in. It was pretty cheap. But no, you don't *have* to have favors!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 AM

I agree with all - no need for favors. This is something that has been started in the last 10 yrs or so and I am sure like others have said they eventually get tossed. It is YOUR day do what YOU want.