Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp) >
  • Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp)

• Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp)

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Sounds like a Bridezilla on the loose!!!
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM

I bet his parents are just dying inside seeing what their son is getting into. I know I would be if my son were to get involved with a selfish shallow girl like this.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM

It was my understanding that you did not have to give a gift period. However, if you did chose to do so, you either gave at a shower or at the wedding. Not both places. I was also taught that a gift was given in love not obligation and that it was the thought that counted and not the cost. If you want to give something, it is proper to send or give a card and enclose a check or cash that is within your budget. She can put it with other money received and purchase one of the expensive gifts she wants. Sounds to me like she is a spoiled brat.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM

I would send her a message and tell her you already have something on the day of the shower and the wedding.
    I't seemed to me in the past 10 yr that the Brides are out for more then just a body at there wedding. I have made or bought gifts and not recieved a simple thank you.
    Then one bride sent a picture from there honymoon along with her thank you.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 PM

If you really feel obligated to do something. Send a donation in her name to your favorite charity (or hers). This way, you can send what you want and feel comfortable with, $5 or $50, doesn't matter because the amount is never shared with the person who you name to be sent an acknowledgment. Then graciously decline to attend either function.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
    Power Poster

I was going to give a wedding gift to a young gal I know but I had the misfortune of observing the bride behaving very ungratefully about a rather generous gift she got. SO I changed my mind. No gift at all. It's up to you but don't let yourself be guiltet into something you can't afford and don't feel comfortable doing.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by bailey
    This is a girl I work with. Do not socialize with her or see her other than at work. Still even wonder why I recieved an invitation. BTW - her wedding invitation also suggested proper attire and which colors she preferred you wear!!
    Hmmm sounds like a snob, I wouldnt even give her 2 minutes of my time from what she expects...she sounds like she only invited for the gifts any how...(booo and shame on her)
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
    If you really feel obligated to do something. Send a donation in her name to your favorite charity (or hers). This way, you can send what you want and feel comfortable with, $5 or $50, doesn't matter because the amount is never shared with the person who you name to be sent an acknowledgment. Then graciously decline to attend either function.
    I like that idea...some employers match charitable donations as well, which is great & then a little tax bonus for you! ;) All joking aside, my colleague invited our team to her bridal shower & instead of attending or gifting, we took her to lunch at a cafe. We didn't see the point, as they had been living together for a few years anyways.
    Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
    Thanks, this is a great idea. Maybe I can find out what charity she supports or choose one of my choice.
    Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 PM

If you want to give do if not don't, can be a gift card w/no amount on it. If tackey enough to make all the demands, gets what you can and are comfortable giving.
    We have one coming up in the family and invitations went out to all, I hope, don't want to hurt anyones feelings, even if they can't attend. JMO