Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weekend forecast in NM. What's yours? >
  • Weekend forecast in NM. What's yours?

• Weekend forecast in NM. What's yours?

Old 12-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Back to the sewing room after all the Christmas madness. Cozy evenings underneath my current hand quilting project, stitching away on it while watching "Monk" reruns (again -- love it!) on TV. Ahhhhh.
    Old 12-27-2020, 11:35 AM

I am barley alive. I did all the good cooking for three days and I feel like I have been on some kind of trip for a week. Loaded the pictures I took with my camera and sent to my daughter. all the pictures were crazy. I am putting gifts away and looking at all the lovely things and my cutter dies. Can not wait to get back to normal. Happy new year and we need that.
    Old 12-27-2020, 11:42 AM

It really has taken me 3 days to get caught up with my rest. I do have more energy today so gathered some Christmas items and getting ready to pack everything away for another year. Husband took down all yard decorations cause we are to get heavy winds and some snow tomorrow. Yes- sewingsuz- I am ready to get back to some routine and normalcy.
    Old 12-27-2020, 12:08 PM

Snow, snow, snow, and possibly more snow. Temps hovering in the mid 20's. Hunkering down till Thursday, when our service technician son will come over and tackle the plethora of issues we have been plagued with the past few days! On the 23rd we had a huge sewer back-up. We also had a big storm that day, and a large branch came down, and is straddling the garden fence. Early on the 24th I was finishing up on the last of 10 dozen cookies, when the carbon monoxide alarm went off, and the oven quit working. Got that going for now. We carried on, did our socially distanced Christmas Eve celebration, and our son spent the night crashed on our couch. Christmas Day, he asked "how long has your furnace sounded like that, and how long has the code light been flashing?" Husband says "Huh??" So they took the furnace apart, and son temporarily fixed it, and said "leave it alone, and I'll come back and fix it." (He knows his dad so well!) Hopefully by then nothing else will have decided to fall apart!

Meanwhile I've been searching and looking for some new/different fabric ornaments to make for next Christmas. Like the looks of the folded fabric ones, just don't know if I have the patience to make 10 of them!
    Old 12-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Had a wonderful Christmas and Eve. Got dishes done that night and mostly put away yesterday. Decorations are minimal and don't need any help putting them away, so I'll do that today. Went to church and was inspired to ask "What If" in 2021; how creative is that!
    Last night cut out a new quilt. DD agreed with the pattern and gave colors by text. So I'll get busy on her Florida house warming gift. Got a quilt on the now working LA, so I'll get that done today.

It's all good!
    Old 12-27-2020, 02:52 PM
    Power Poster

I finally got back into my sewing room. Our son died November 6th after a 16 month battle with cancer and we were there with his husband to take care of him. The only thing I really made during that time was a quilt he asked me for and at that time he was able to come to the shop and pick out fabrics. I had a sewing machine there and after he went to bed I worked on it. He loved looking at it, but, enjoyed being covered more with an afghan I had knitted him a while back. I just couldn't walk into my sewing room until today. I don't know why. Maybe because it was him who inspired and encouraged me to learn to quilt. He was only in there once when we moved here, so no memories of him helping, etc. Anyway, I did get in today and do a few things.
    Old 12-27-2020, 03:03 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I am so sorry.
    Old 12-27-2020, 05:11 PM

...Maybe if you make 10 different folded fabric ones. There are certainly plenty of patterns out there! Enjoy!
    Old 12-27-2020, 05:11 PM

Oh, Alyce, so very sorry for your son's passing. Glad you were able to stay with him during that last time. And totally understandable you reluctance to be sewing. But maybe when you are looking at fabric, think about what he would suggest as it sounds like he was very saavy with quilting.

Anniedeb--yikes! Sounds like the Grinch visited your house! thank goodness your son is so helpful.
    Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 PM
    Power Poster

So sorry for the loss of your son Alyce. I have pretty much kept my life on the normal side. As normal as it can be with a Husband that has immediate forgetfulness and sometimes in a bad mood.