Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    This isn't about weight loss, but... I finished a top for the Crisis Pregnancy Center, it seems to be to small. Does anyone know what a baby quilt should measure?
    I think a baby quilt that is 30X30 is very useful. Many people make them 45" x w50+ or 60" If you google quilt & bedding sizes for baby cribs, you should be able to find it. If your top looks small, add a 2-4 inch boarder and I bet it will be awesome.
    Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    This isn't about weight loss, but... I finished a top for the Crisis Pregnancy Center, it seems to be to small. Does anyone know what a baby quilt should measure?
    If your top looks small, add a 2-4 inch boarder and I bet it will be awesome.
    :lol: :lol: when in doubt add a border...........that's my motto!!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
    Banned

I loooooooooooovvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee popcorn, however I have found microwave popcorn is NOT an inexpensive snack. On top of that is not all natural read the box there are chemicals and food coloring. I was on a quest to find a better less expensive popcorn without having to buy a popcorn maker or making it on the stove top and have to wash a pot. So here is homemade microwave popcorn at only 10 calories per cup as opposed to light microwave which the least amount of calories I have found is 20 calories per cup. I can eat twice the amount. Also a jar of popcorn kernels is about $2 for 20 oz which makes LOADS of popcorn.

Recipe

1 brown luch size paper bag
    1/4 c popcorn kernels
    1/4 tsp salt.
    Put popcorn kernels and salt in the brown bag. Fold over the top of bag 2-3 times. Microwave on high 3 minutes or until kernels stop popping.

I like buttered popcorn and I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, there are NO calories per serving which is 3 sprays. You can sprinkle it with garlic or onion powder if you want flavored popcorn.

2 c fit in a plastic sandwich bag a perfect filling 20 calorie afternoon snack!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I loooooooooooovvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee popcorn, however I have found microwave popcorn is NOT an inexpensive snack. On top of that is not all natural read the box there are chemicals and food coloring. I was on a quest to find a better less expensive popcorn without having to buy a popcorn maker or making it on the stove top and have to wash a pot. So here is homemade microwave popcorn at only 10 calories per cup as opposed to light microwave which the least amount of calories I have found is 20 calories per cup. I can eat twice the amount. Also a jar of popcorn kernels is about $2 for 20 oz which makes LOADS of popcorn.

Recipe

1 brown luch size paper bag
    1/4 c popcorn kernels
    1/4 tsp salt.
    Put popcorn kernels and salt in the brown bag. Fold over the top of bag 2-3 times. Microwave on high 3 minutes or until kernels stop popping.

I like buttered popcorn and I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, there are NO calories per serving which is 3 sprays. You can sprinkle it with garlic or onion powder if you want flavored popcorn.

2 c fit in a plastic sandwich bag a perfect filling 20 calorie afternoon snack!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    This, my dear friend, is a SUPERB idea!! I am going to have to try that.

My step dad for his birthday this year wanted a popcorn maker like at the movies. (Why would he want such a thing? Why do men do what they do? Oh I digress...) So, that is what we got him. I am going to have him make me some popcorn when he gets home! DELISH.
    Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, friends, I am in need right now. I found out this morning that my father passed out and fell while he was making dinner last night. The back of his head hit both of the metal bars on the doors of his two ovens and then he hit the trash compacter with the side of his head as he fell. My step mother said that the kitchen looked like a crime scene because there was so much blood.

He was awake by the time the paramedics arrived. He has 9 staples in one laceration and 5 in the other three.

They have done an echocardiagram this morning and just a few minutes ago they took him down for an MRI of his head and then a corrotid (sp?) artery study.

He is awake and alert now. He refused pain meds until 4 this morning because he was so embarrassed and he did not want them to make a fuss over him and blah blah blah. My dad, the southern gentleman. :)

My step mom said that she will call me as soon as they hear the results of these tests. If he is going to require surgery or any invasive treatment then I will be heading back to the Big D.

I am incredibly worried about him. It takes this kind of thing to get him to the doctor sometimes and I just wish he wasn't so hard headed.

Apparently, to my surprise, he fainted last year. He was in the bathroom and just finished urinating when he fainted. The doctors at that time told him that it was not uncommon for men of his age to faint after urination. What???? I have never heard such a thing before.

I told my mother that my stepdad is now going to be required to pee like a girl just in case he passes out. Heh.

I cannot imagine what possessed my father not to tell me he fainted last year but it is done. No going backwards in time.

So, here is my need. I would love it if y'all would pray that the doctors will find out what is going on so that they can fix it. I also need prayers for myself because when I get under this kind of stress my schizophrenia kinda whacks out and sometimes I hear voices or see things. I do not want to get psychotic after being stable for the last 20 months.

Does any of this make sense?

Sigh. I am sorry for unloading on you.

Oh, on another (more positive) front, I bought a pair of shorts in size 5x and they fit like a dream. I was in a 7x in May So, woohoo for a shrinking butt. The legs are not even tight! Yay!

Thanks y'all for being here for me.

Missy
    Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Missy I'll keep your dad in my prayers. I heard about the fainting after urination. I got a call from my mom one day. She told me my dad fell in the tub. I thought he was showering and fell. No, he was urinating and kelled over into the tub.

You'll do well through this ordeal, the triumphs and set backs of losing weight are giving you the tools to help you through life's ails. Trust yourself. I don't mean to compare the worry for a loved one to losing weight, but the skills we are learning here I know are helping me in other aspects of my life.

Oh my gosh, you must be ecstatic, two dress sizes in four months. Pants and skirts are the last thing to start fitting better on me. These areas are the last to shrink.

Keep positive and banish those futile thoughts. Carol
    Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

My quilt is almost there, it's 30 x 40, so I may add a border. Thanks for the help
    Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Hey Missy
    Great news about the new smaller you. Congrats. The prayers are on there way to both your dad and to you so you keep your "cool" during this stress. I can feel for what you are feeling right now I had a dad that didn't go to doctors so when he got sick he had been sick for a while. He would never tell anyone if he felt bad So be supportive and don't think about the why didn't he do this or do that. Just show him your love. Thats what he needs now. Even if like most men he acts like he doesn't like to be fussed over. Come and talk with us when ever you feel the need. We are all here for you.
    God Bless
    Gail
    Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Missy: you keep us updated on your dad. I don't agree with the doctor that says it is okay to pass out after you pee - well maybe if you have a urinary infection and it hurts like....to pee. Since most of use don't leave the bathroom door open to pee, no one will see him sittin'. My husband sat his whole life because he was so worried about his aim.

Yes! on the shorts. You are almost small enough to just go to walmart and get stuff. How wonderful is that! Go girl.

I'll be praying for you. Did you get your letter written? Don't start munching. It won't help your dad for you to eat. talk to you later, gwyn
    Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Missy, I will remember you and your dad in my prayers
    WAY TO GO on the smaller size! You have dropped TWO sizes AWESOME GIRL!!!