Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM

• Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM

Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I weighed in today and I've gained 2 pounds this week. I suspect it was the Rotel dip at Mom's, I started eating it and couldn't stop. All that salt! We won't even discuss the calories.

This has been a surreal Christmas. My kids and gkids are all out of state. I mailed the presents. My dh is working 3 12-hour shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after. We agreed to not exchange gifts because of the economy. So...just another day to sew.

My parents are still living and my brother has offered to come get me but we are expecting snow on Christmas Day...it may just be me and the puppies.
    I think it is going to be a sewing day for me as well. My dad past away on Christmas Eve last year and I just don't feel right about celebrating the holiday yet. It is still difficult and I get to moody at best.
    Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 AM
    Banned

I don't know what the big deal is about Christmas anymore. I don't mean about it being the birth of Jesus I mean the way eveyone celebrates. It has alway been just me and the kids or when I was married my ex. For 2 years it was only me and Jim as Joyce chose to go to GA with her BF. She gave up framily to be with his and he gave up Joyce for his exGF who is now his wife. Anyway when the kids were young on Christmas eve we would drive around and look at the decorated houes. Then 1 yesr Joyce said she liked the houses that had the shades open she could see in and all the people having fun and dressed up. It made me sad as we never had family to visit or visit us.

Purplemen and Candlequilter that most important thing to remember it is Christmas the birth of our Lord you don't need to celebrate and you are never alone, for He is always with you.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have always had a hard time during Christmas. Growing up it was my Moms favorite holiday and it still is. For me it was a rip off because it is also my b-day. My Mom tried to make sure I got to open my b-day gifts first but it was never my special day, I had to share it. Then as an adult I was finally getting over it because of my DH and children then 8 years ago I had a tubal pregnancy which was devastating to me. After a lot of praying I only had to have a DNC on Dec. 4th when all I wanted was my baby. Well now I have little man and for the first time in many years I am looking forward to Christmas. Dec. 4th came and went and I didn't even realize it. I don't have money to buy gifts for my folks or my sisters family but it is ok as long as my kids are taken care of. You all have the best Christmas you can possibly have and remember God loves you and I do too.
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    For me it was a rip off because it is also my b-day. My Mom tried to make sure I got to open my b-day gifts first but it was never my special day, I had to share it.
    My ex BIL b-day was also Christmas and he felt as you do. Jim's is the 15 and when he was little even though everyone esle had their homes decorated I would wait unitl dec 16 to put up the tree and decorate the house as I didn't want to take away from his b-day.

I know what it is like to not have money for Christmas. Joyce liked night gown when she was little, around 3 YO. I made them with 100 % cotton flannel I got on the clearence table in the middle of the summer. They weren't pretty or girly but they were nice soft flannel. They were so long she had to hold them up to walk and if she pulled the sleeves over her hands they were 6 inches too long. Even though there was elastic in the wrist the sleeves covered her hands. I made them that way so she would get lots of use out of them. When the were above her knees and the sleeves were up to her elbows I cut them apart and made my 1st quilt it was a sq in a sq and tied I didn't know what the heck I was doing but I need a Christmas pressie for her and that was the best that I could do. The quilt was much loved and packed away. Last winter before Joyce 3th surgery I dug it out washed it and put it on her bed. I saw a few days if has a few rips in it. After the hoilday I will repair it. I never had much to give, sock puppets and things of that. I got the kids cookie tins in the $ store and even though they were the same Christmas cookies as in the big tins for all of us I put their favorite cookie in their own tin that they got on Christmas eve. I did the same for Easter, couldn't afford candy so I got Easter tins and every year made cookies and that is what they got. Joyce was almost 10 when my divorce started I had to sell everything including furniture to put food on the table my ex did not pay any support for about 2 years. The church gave us Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner along with some pressies. A tea kettle for me, a history book and gift card to the book store for Jim and a much needed winter jacket for Joyce. They didn't have a lot pf pressies that year but they had all the love I could give them. A warm home with food and isn't that all that really matters.
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
    ok, as Trupeach will atest to... I am a lousy cook.... I can't even get the ingredients right with her telling me what I need and me looking at it....
    Yeah....I called her about subbing sugar and milk with sweeten condensed milk... NOPE won't work... SOOOO She finds me a recipe that uses sweeten condensed milk and stupid here uses EVAPORATED MILK... now we have very strong chocolate milk schtuff... she rescues me by finding how to make fudge with CONDENSED milk... add marshmallows....no problem... spray pan so the stuff won't stick... only problem is I apparently sprayed too much and now the fudge tastes of canola oil... yuck... :(P.... sigh.... oh welll.... I sew good :D
    Don't be so hard on yourself! We all have challenges. Mine is to try and stay in reality...yours is to try and follow Tru's directions. You are right though. At least we can sew good! :)

Missy
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM

I weighed in today and I've gained 2 pounds this week. I suspect it was the Rotel dip at Mom's, I started eating it and couldn't stop. All that salt! We won't even discuss the calories.

This has been a surreal Christmas. My kids and gkids are all out of state. I mailed the presents. My dh is working 3 12-hour shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after. We agreed to not exchange gifts because of the economy. So...just another day to sew.

My parents are still living and my brother has offered to come get me but we are expecting snow on Christmas Day...it may just be me and the puppies.
    Aww,,,I'm sorry the kids and gkids are out of state and that your hubby has to work so much...that stinks. Maybe you could make something yummy to eat for you and your hubby to share when he gets home from work?

Missy
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter

I think it is going to be a sewing day for me as well. My dad past away on Christmas Eve last year and I just don't feel right about celebrating the holiday yet. It is still difficult and I get to moody at best.
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad! I can understand why you are not up to celebrating this year. BIG HUGS!!!!

Missy
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM

I have always had a hard time during Christmas. Growing up it was my Moms favorite holiday and it still is. For me it was a rip off because it is also my b-day. My Mom tried to make sure I got to open my b-day gifts first but it was never my special day, I had to share it. Then as an adult I was finally getting over it because of my DH and children then 8 years ago I had a tubal pregnancy which was devastating to me. After a lot of praying I only had to have a DNC on Dec. 4th when all I wanted was my baby. Well now I have little man and for the first time in many years I am looking forward to Christmas. Dec. 4th came and went and I didn't even realize it. I don't have money to buy gifts for my folks or my sisters family but it is ok as long as my kids are taken care of. You all have the best Christmas you can possibly have and remember God loves you and I do too.
    My ex's bday was Christmas too. It was a rip off for her too. I love you too and wish you and your family a great Christmas!

Missy
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    For me it was a rip off because it is also my b-day. My Mom tried to make sure I got to open my b-day gifts first but it was never my special day, I had to share it.
    My ex BIL b-day was also Christmas and he felt as you do. Jim's is the 15 and when he was little even though everyone esle had their homes decorated I would wait unitl dec 16 to put up the tree and decorate the house as I didn't want to take away from his b-day.

I know what it is like to not have money for Christmas. Joyce liked night gown when she was little, around 3 YO. I made them with 100 % cotton flannel I got on the clearence table in the middle of the summer. They weren't pretty or girly but they were nice soft flannel. They were so long she had to hold them up to walk and if she pulled the sleeves over her hands they were 6 inches too long. Even though there was elastic in the wrist the sleeves covered her hands. I made them that way so she would get lots of use out of them. When the were above her knees and the sleeves were up to her elbows I cut them apart and made my 1st quilt it was a sq in a sq and tied I didn't know what the heck I was doing but I need a Christmas pressie for her and that was the best that I could do. The quilt was much loved and packed away. Last winter before Joyce 3th surgery I dug it out washed it and put it on her bed. I saw a few days if has a few rips in it. After the hoilday I will repair it. I never had much to give, sock puppets and things of that. I got the kids cookie tins in the $ store and even though they were the same Christmas cookies as in the big tins for all of us I put their favorite cookie in their own tin that they got on Christmas eve. I did the same for Easter, couldn't afford candy so I got Easter tins and every year made cookies and that is what they got. Joyce was almost 10 when my divorce started I had to sell everything including furniture to put food on the table my ex did not pay any support for about 2 years. The church gave us Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner along with some pressies. A tea kettle for me, a history book and gift card to the book store for Jim and a much needed winter jacket for Joyce. They didn't have a lot pf pressies that year but they had all the love I could give them. A warm home with food and isn't that all that really matters.
    That sounds so sweet Tru!! They will never forget those tins filled with their favorite cookies. The quilt sounds so sweet and happy. Joyce will always treasure that quilt and the memories of you making those flannel nighties. I think when she has a daughter that you should make those nighties for her too. I love your traditions!

Missy
    Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 AM

Tru, what a sweet story. I loved it when someone made me something.