Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

• Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have to speak my mind on a particular post from earlier today. I realize that I will offend the person making the claim but I can not sit idly by and be quiet.

There is no way or should I say no healthy way someone can lose 20 pounds in 11 days. I truly feel this is an over exaggeration on the person's part just to win the FQ's this month and that is not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly I think if I was the hostess I would want proof on this. A Dr.s note or pictures. It is unfair to the rest of us that are being honest and doing the right thing to lose the weight.
    Why does someone always have to ruin the fun for others.

Sorry if I have made anyone mad but I just had to say something.
    You didn't make me mad. I absolutely agree with you. The problem I have been having is excessive swelling in all parts of my body. I didn't 20 pounds of fat, it is probably 95% water weight. The exciting thing for me is that it is finally starting to leave. Water or fat feels the same when you have to carry it around. It is a medical problem and it feels really good to be getting it off.

I'm not in the fat quarter race. I'm just in this to lose the extra weight I carry around. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I was just happy for me. Sorry if I upset anyone. I'll lurk a bit more quietly.
    I lost the water too and I am feeling terrific. I also got myself a 10,000 step pedometer and I just love it. 10,000 steps equals a five mile walk. I haven't gotten there yet, but I have enough around the house to give me close to 2 miles a day and that is including shoveling snow. Another - maybe - 4" of snow. Got the back mostly done, but I think I will do the side, the front and the 13 steps down to the sidewalk. I am working very hard on this diet. I am starting on another quilt. I have to cut out 288 3-7/8" blocks - The name of the block is Depression. (Quilter's Cache). That is s it down time, but I try to keep myself walk around busy! Edie
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM

My orthopedic Dr told me for every 1 lb of excess weight you have on your body, it is like 5 lbs on your knees. So, if I have over 100 lbs to lose, that is over 500 excess lbs of weight on my knees.
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
    Banned

You are right.

I'm down to about 400-500 calories a day (doctor supervised)
    Walking in my house about 1 hour a day
    And taking a special medication to reduce fluid retention.

I'm not trying to win a prize. I just thought someone out there would be happy that I am finally starting to move down. Guess not.
    Gwyn I am happy for you that your water retention problem is starting to make progress for you. I know how hard that can be and it makes you feel like a water balloon that is stretched to its limit. Glad you are making a positive move there. However I am very disappointed that others can't be as positive for you - so I hear by withdraw from this weight loss challenge.

Hopefully you will continue to make healthy progress whether it is in water retention or fat loss.

Heartfelt apologies,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Everyone sounds positive for such cold snowy weather. We all need to support each other. I went for a walk yesterday but cut it short because it was so cold I couldn't feel my nose.and it's even colder today so no going outside for a walk. I don't have snow but if rain was in the forecast it would be snowing.
    It is amazing what abuse our bodies take and just keep going. Not only do our knees suffer but hips and feet also. So when I hear that those of you who have 100 pounds or more getting up and moving I am so proud of you, you give so much inspiration to all the rest of us.
    Since it's cold we are having meatless spag. sauce w/ wheat pasta and a tomato, beet and cucumber salad w/ ving & oil dressing. It's been on the stove all day and the smell is driving me nuts. It's one of my fav. dishes. Now if I can just hold down the temptation to over eat.
    Sorry to sun on I'll stop now you all have a great evening.
    Hugs
    Gail
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Gwynn, How awesome! WAY TO GO!!! On the sweetener discussion, I started using Stevia the Truvia brand-is it me or does it have a weird aftertaste? I mainly just use it for my coffee and the last few days I've done my own "Splenda blend" type mix-Truvia + 1 tsp natural unprocessed sugar and fat free 1/2 & 1/2. My mom says I shouldn't claim to be a coffee drinker but a melted coffee ice cream drinker...she only drinks it black. I try not to add any sweetner to anything, but if I bake I use unprocessed real stuff.
    I use Truvia and I haven't notice any aftertaste. I like it in my tea particularly. Edie
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by NannySandy
    Gwyn, Way to go!!!!! Proud of you and for you. Keep up the good work. Sandy
    Good luck to you Gwyn. Edie
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Edie
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have to speak my mind on a particular post from earlier today. I realize that I will offend the person making the claim but I can not sit idly by and be quiet.

There is no way or should I say no healthy way someone can lose 20 pounds in 11 days. I truly feel this is an over exaggeration on the person's part just to win the FQ's this month and that is not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly I think if I was the hostess I would want proof on this. A Dr.s note or pictures. It is unfair to the rest of us that are being honest and doing the right thing to lose the weight.
    Why does someone always have to ruin the fun for others.

Sorry if I have made anyone mad but I just had to say something.
    You didn't make me mad. I absolutely agree with you. The problem I have been having is excessive swelling in all parts of my body. I didn't 20 pounds of fat, it is probably 95% water weight. The exciting thing for me is that it is finally starting to leave. Water or fat feels the same when you have to carry it around. It is a medical problem and it feels really good to be getting it off.

I'm not in the fat quarter race. I'm just in this to lose the extra weight I carry around. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I was just happy for me. Sorry if I upset anyone. I'll lurk a bit more quietly.
    I lost the water too and I am feeling terrific. I also got myself a 10,000 step pedometer and I just love it. 10,000 steps equals a five mile walk. I haven't gotten there yet, but I have enough around the house to give me close to 2 miles a day and that is including shoveling snow. Another - maybe - 4" of snow. Got the back mostly done, but I think I will do the side, the front and the 13 steps down to the sidewalk. I am working very hard on this diet. I am starting on another quilt. I have to cut out 288 3-7/8" blocks - The name of the block is Depression. (Quilter's Cache). That is s it down time, but I try to keep myself walk around busy! Edie
    Edie,

You are one busy lady! I think I should get a pedometer. That way I can see just how much I am walking.

Tomorrow is a big day for me because I will be starting wheelchair yoga. I am hoping that will be me get more mobile and to have more endurance.

Missy
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    Everyone sounds positive for such cold snowy weather. We all need to support each other. I went for a walk yesterday but cut it short because it was so cold I couldn't feel my nose.and it's even colder today so no going outside for a walk. I don't have snow but if rain was in the forecast it would be snowing.
    It is amazing what abuse our bodies take and just keep going. Not only do our knees suffer but hips and feet also. So when I hear that those of you who have 100 pounds or more getting up and moving I am so proud of you, you 5so much inspiration to all the rest of us.
    Since it's cold we are having meatless spag. sauce w/ wheat pasta and a tomato, beet and cucumber salad w/ ving & oil dressing. It's been on the stove all day and the smell is driving me nuts. It's one of my fav. dishes. Now if I can just hold down the temptation to over eat.
    Sorry to sun on I'll stop now you all have a great evening.
    Hugs
    Gail
    Thank you gail! I need to lose close to 275 pounds and moving is hard work. But I am hoping that the yoga class I will btarting tomorrow will help.

I really love this group and it has made a HUGE difference in my weight loss and in my life. You guys have become family to me.

Missy
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by NannySandy
    My orthopedic Dr told me for every 1 lb of excess weight you have on your body, it is like 5 lbs on your knees. So, if I have over 100 lbs to lose, that is over 500 excess lbs of weight on my knees.
    Wow. That is scary. I have to lose 275+ pounds! That is a lot of weight on my feet/ankles/knees/hips. No wonder I have pain in my joints. I really need to stay on this losing trend! Wow. Thank you for sharing that Sandy.

Missy
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM

You're welcome Missy. You're on the right track. That's what counts. Keep on keeping on. You go girl!!!