Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

• Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Our gym is only $26 a month (I am not currently a member). At that price I actually break even if I shower at the gym 5 days I week and blow dry my hair there. I save the $24 in energy costs. I don't need the gym right now, I have way too much fun with my hula hoop and the DDR.

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Well I have started off right so that makes me happy :-) I am drinking 128 ounces of water a day! I am also only eating healthy foods and I am trying to move more-using the stairs at work, parking as far away as possible...I am hoping hubby's bonus this week will be enough for me to join the gym with the pool as that is the only exercise I can do with my medical issues. Congrats MJ on the weight loss (sorry it was because you weren't feeling well though :-( )
    We can do this, we will do this!!
    Hugs
    April
    Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
    Banned

dessert time............

Italian Cassata......serves 4.......90 calories per serving

1 c low fat ricotta cheese
    1 tbsp orange marmalade
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp chocolate chips
    1 tbsp cocoa powder (NOT COCOA MIX)

mix until smooth everything except the cocoa. put in dessert cups sprinkle with cocoa powder put in fridge for a few hours for the flavors to marry.

this is mostly protein i have had it for lunch as well as dessert. i also have added fresh fruit on top if i need extra calories to consume for the day.

if you use whole milk ricotta just add in the extra calories
    Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Wow! That dessert recipe sounds yummy! I suspect I'll try that one soon.

In the mornings, I have the hardest time eating. I have no appetite at all. I've got to think of something easy to fix, but satisfying. I ate yogurt for the last year. Now I don't want it anymore.

I like cottage cheese...maybe that. I have to have 9 grams of protein to cover my insulin. I want to find the skinny bagels someone was talking about.

Everybody keep moving!
    I didn't get to go to the gym today as I'm babysitting. Pooh! I will tomorrow, though.
    Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by littleone
    OK, so I've been luring in the background. You guys are a real chatty group, didn't read this post yesterday and took me an hour to catch up on everything.

You are all doing fantastic!!! and are so encouraging to one another, you all deserve a big applause. (can you hear me clapping?)

I have 25 pounds to lose, it may not be much but it is really hard for me to lose. I've been reading all your tips and will incorporate some of them into my daily regeame. I can't use any of the low cal/low fat produces not only do they taste awful but low cal products are not good for my Fibromyalgia. Being in constant pain requires me to exercise moderately like everything else in daily living.
    LITTLEONE! So good to see ya,I guess all the brownies finally caught up with ya darling!Don't tell me Peachy isn't bad with all that terrific food she was cooking and pushing your way!We know what list she will be on next year,look at where we have all ended up after the poles.I guess we did not pole dance enough.
    Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Sounds like a good day for everyone. Hi Gwyn really good to hear you again. I've been away for most of Dec and part of Nov. so have missed a lot of chit chat. Had a good day so far. Went for a mile and a half walk with dh and Jasper(our Sheltie) at the park. Lots of mud to avoid but a really nice day even if it was only 43 deg. Had GrapeNuts and half a pear for breakfast and coffee for lunch 2 crunchy tacos w/ lots of tomatoes and lettuce and a small apple. Not sure but I think a slice of pizza w/ turkey and mushrooms for dinner and sugar free jello for dessert. Now I'm off to see about finishing a baby rag quilt I started before the Christmas gift rush put it on the back burner
    Hugs to all and keep on with this healthful journey.
    Gail
    Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Wow! That dessert recipe sounds yummy! I suspect I'll try that one soon.

In the mornings, I have the hardest time eating. I have no appetite at all. I've got to think of something easy to fix, but satisfying. I ate yogurt for the last year. Now I don't want it anymore.

I like cottage cheese...maybe that. I have to have 9 grams of protein to cover my insulin. I want to find the skinny bagels someone was talking about.

Everybody keep moving!
    I didn't get to go to the gym today as I'm babysitting. Pooh! I will tomorrow, though.
    Make a bunch of frattata's it will have the protein and just pop in the microwave for a quick breakfast. i will post recipe tonight i have to make dinner now.
    Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Great idea, Tru!
    Awaiting the recipe...

Thanks a lot.
    Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM

I bought my solid FQ today, after the temptation of a "Cupcake Truck" on the way to my LQS. It wasn't all that good, so I had those 3 bites Oprah suggests, & tossed the rest out. Do you like turquose?!
    Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM

That is crazy isn't it fryguy? I know it is not good for me but the caffeine sometimes helps the headaches not be as bad :-( But I have made a firm commitment and I will just stick to my meds until we have a different solution, a better answer :-)

Hugs
    April
    Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 PM

I am only on page 33 so I don't know what else has been posted on this topic. But I think you are both correct - exercise for weight loss has to be more strenuous than people usually think. Walking up the stairs even once is very strenuous for a lot of us. In fact it may even put you in your target heart rate
    I very strongly believe that whatever exercise you do you need to enjoy it. Dancing while cleaning the house is a great way to start.

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    On the cardio machines (those things that come with book racks, lol) time spent is not nearly as important as intensity of the workout. You should always be working within your target heart rate for burning fat. For me that is 150. Find out your target heart rate and check often to see if you are in that range. 20-30 minutes of that will do more for you than hours of leisurely walking while reading a magazine in the book rack. In my gym, the people who read while using the cardio machines are not the ones you see ever get any smaller. My rule of thumb is that if you can see print on a page or screen while working out, you aren't working hard enough to do any good.
    That may be fine and good for people that have a baseline of fitness but for the great majority of the people here we are just trying to get some movement into our days. There is NO WAY I could exercise at the intensity you talked about. I walked up and down the stairs in my house once and I walked through the grocery store and I am worn out. ANY movement is better than NO movement.

I hear that you are trying to help but remember, we are not all at a place where we can work out like that. There are many days where walking to the mailbox and back is all I can do.

Another thing to remember is we are here to encourage each other and not discourage those that cannot do what others can do. I think that by telling people that they wont get smaller if they are not working at their target heart rate and if they read while the are exercising is not a good thing. We are doing OUR best not YOUR best or other people's best who are much healthier than us.

Just my two cents.

Missy