Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign >
  • weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

• weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

Old 07-03-2010, 02:54 PM

That sounds good Trupeach1, I think I try it tomorrow
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 PM

I think we should put diet soda in its place. It is the perfect alternative when others are also having soda. Like all other 'diet' food, it is an alternative choice. Diet candy bars are for those times when it is either that or nothing.

My problem is...When I see that the cookies are 'sugar & fat free' the only thing I really see is FREE.

Also, my daughter is a chemist. Asparatime - the major sugar substitute in soda - is poisonous if it warm gets warm enough. Say you leave it in a car and drink it later. In enough quatity, it can make you very sick.

The little packets you can add to water to make it flavored are way too strong. I purchase a gallon (the big square bottle) of water and use only one packet. But, keep it cold, it has asparatime in it.

The fat substitute 'olestra' isn't too bad if you have 10-12 chips, but if you are like me and only see FREE on the bag, you will eat many more. Stay close to the bathroom, you will need it!

If you have to have the crunch, 1 oz of puffy cheetos is about 12-16. Eat them one at a time and slow. Enjoy that crunch appeal. It is only 15 carbs and no fat.
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 PM

It isn't what you do 10% of the time that really makes a difference. It is the other 90% that really counts.

One or two diet sodas in a week isn't going to hurt you. A small piece of wedding cake or a cookie as you sit with that special someone won't kill your diet.

I try really hard to not have these things at home. I only attend 3-6 weddings a year, I can enjoy the cake. Birthdays are another thing. We have lots of birthdays...at least one a month. As long as we are not at my house, I can have 1/2 a piece with a little ice cream, at the end of the party. I leave before I can get another piece.

If we are at my house, it is harder. I try to have someone else do the serving onto the plates and then I serve the people. I save my piece for when I can't stand it any more. I do everything I can, pick up the garbage, go outside to play with the kids, sit and visit with other people. Then - and this is a big rule for me - I can't eat the last bite.

This works for me. Just sharing
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    I think we should put diet soda in its place. It is the perfect alternative when others are also having soda. Like all other 'diet' food, it is an alternative choice. Diet candy bars are for those times when it is either that or nothing.

My problem is...When I see that the cookies are 'sugar & fat free' the only thing I really see is FREE.

Also, my daughter is a chemist. Asparatime - the major sugar substitute in soda - is poisonous if it warm gets warm enough. Say you leave it in a car and drink it later. In enough quatity, it can make you very sick.

The little packets you can add to water to make it flavored are way too strong. I purchase a gallon (the big square bottle) of water and use only one packet. But, keep it cold, it has asparatime in it.

The fat substitute 'olestra' isn't too bad if you have 10-12 chips, but if you are like me and only see FREE on the bag, you will eat many more. Stay close to the bathroom, you will need it!

If you have to have the crunch, 1 oz of puffy cheetos is about 12-16. Eat them one at a time and slow. Enjoy that crunch appeal. It is only 15 carbs and no fat.
    Those are the very things that are so helpful to those of us fighting our weight. Thank you Gwyn for sharing these tips!

What a great group we have here!

Missy
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 PM

It isn't what you do 10% of the time that really makes a difference. It is the other 90% that really counts.

One or two diet sodas in a week isn't going to hurt you. A small piece of wedding cake or a cookie as you sit with that special someone won't kill your diet.

I try really hard to not have these things at home. I only attend 3-6 weddings a year, I can enjoy the cake. Birthdays are another thing. We have lots of birthdays...at least one a month. As long as we are not at my house, I can have 1/2 a piece with a little ice cream, at the end of the party. I leave before I can get another piece.

If we are at my house, it is harder. I try to have someone else do the serving onto the plates and then I serve the people. I save my piece for when I can't stand it any more. I do everything I can, pick up the garbage, go outside to play with the kids, sit and visit with other people. Then - and this is a big rule for me - I can't eat the last bite.

This works for me. Just sharing
    That is a really good plan. Tomorrow there will be copious amounts of brownies and cakes and pies. So, I am going to try your method and see how it goes.

Thanks Gwyn!

Missy
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM

The danger in this is...once you taste it, you will want more. Cut it into bites, small bites. Eat it slowly, putting down the fork and talking and drinking water between your bites. This is why I save mine for later and leave the last bite. After you eat the one you want, drink lots of water to get the taste out of your mouth.
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 PM

No deserts, but we will have soda pop. I can pass those up. The meal is my agenda, cerviche, carne asada, polo asada, papaya salsa, salad and tortillas. I might make beans and rice.

Gwyn, I'm the opposite, it's what I do 10% of the time. Binge eating. I just stay away from triggers. It wasn't a problem until I added a poor diet on top of it all.
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 PM

The danger in this is...once you taste it, you will want more. Cut it into bites, small bites. Eat it slowly, putting down the fork and talking and drinking water between your bites. This is why I save mine for later and leave the last bite. After you eat the one you want, drink lots of water to get the taste out of your mouth.
    They say to go brush your teeth. Now with disposable toothbrushes it is easier.
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Originally Posted by grammyj
    Please sign me up for July, Thanks, Janice (grammyj)
    YIPPPPPEEEEEEE you found it :lol: :lol: did you get lost along the way and stop someplace for an ice cream cone?????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    No I took the scenic tour LOL stopped to read all these pages
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    No deserts, but we will have soda pop. I can pass those up. The meal is my agenda, cerviche, carne asada, polo asada, papaya salsa, salad and tortillas. I might make beans and rice.

Gwyn, I'm the opposite, it's what I do 10% of the time. Binge eating. I just stay away from triggers. It wasn't a problem until I added a poor diet on top of it all.
    CarolJ,

Can I please come to YOUR house for the meal?? Please. Pretty please?

Missy